• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage pulp auctions
8 8

233 posts in this topic

On 4/6/2024 at 5:58 PM, Darwination said:

I didn't watch today (am away from the batcave).  Are people seeing a CGC bump as far as books in the box fetching more?  I believe it's the first auction that's featured a decent number of graded books.

I was wondering that, but if so, it's minor.  I looked up the sales history on the 3 books I listed on HA, and while there are few comparison sales in grade, it seems like the three books I listed were comparable to a recent raw sale taking minor differences in grade into account. 

The saucy movies first issue had a "5.0" go last year for 5.2k.  The other saucy had a raw "5.5" sell a year ago for 10.8k.  The Strange Stories had a "7.5" sell last year for 7.8k.  So the graded bump doesn't seem to be present at least for those few issues.  I'll look at the other books when I'm on a desktop.   Also the previous sales in a comparable grade last year were likely bolstered due to the cgc grading that was on the horizon, so I guess those also benefited from a future cgc bump?

Ima have to get to a big screen before I can can concur it's the same copy.  I'll say this if it is - I'd be curious to see more before and afters of books that get encapsulated.

Also, what's with the glee I feel when a quick flip flops? I know I don't like it when my own occasional quick one comes up short :roflmao:

So hard to tell what's up with prices.  Defo was a pre-CGC buzz last year, craziest early in the year.  Add to that fact that the high pandemic prices shook so much fruit from the tree that all sorts of books have been showing up not seen very often.  There's the trend in comics of cooling prices which surely applies to pulps too at least a little bit.  I can't really make heads or tails of it yet.

And the trends in these bigger books (for pulps) may be very different than the trends in higher grade more common books that we've commented about a little on some of these threads (shrug)

Personally, I was bored by this auction compared to the last couple pulp auctions with more obscure (albeit less in demand) pulps, but that's probably just me.

Edited by Darwination

On 4/7/2024 at 11:12 AM, waaaghboss said:
On 4/7/2024 at 8:58 AM, Darwination said:

I didn't watch today (am away from the batcave).  Are people seeing a CGC bump as far as books in the box fetching more?  I believe it's the first auction that's featured a decent number of graded books.

I was wondering that, but if so, it's minor.  I looked up the sales history on the 3 books I listed on HA, and while there are few comparison sales in grade, it seems like the three books I listed were comparable to a recent raw sale taking minor differences in grade into account. 

The saucy movies first issue had a "5.0" go last year for 5.2k.  The other saucy had a raw "5.5" sell a year ago for 10.8k.  The Strange Stories had a "7.5" sell last year for 7.8k.  So the graded bump doesn't seem to be present at least for those few issues.  I'll look at the other books when I'm on a desktop.   Also the previous sales in a comparable grade last year were likely bolstered due to the cgc grading that was on the horizon, so I guess those also benefited from a future cgc bump?

Thanks for confirming, because this was kind of my gut reaction too, but I was too lazy to do the research.  While the prices of the slabbed books in this auction were solid, none shocked me.  Perhaps this will cool the raw market a bit, as it seems to have gotten a bit ahead of itself.

Edited by tth2

On 4/7/2024 at 8:46 AM, Robot Man said:

Wow, that Strange Stories 3 blows me away.

A couple days before Covid shutdown in 2020, I picked up a decent copy for $150. At a local show. Was happy to find it but it wasn’t a super key at the time I don’t think. Somebody else put it back and I snatched it.

The Saucys don’t suprise me because I never see them for sale around here.

Same show I got this Stage and Screen for around the same price. I knew at the time it was probably a steal.

Here was my haul that day from the same guy. I paid about $800. for the group. My, how things have changed…

IMG_8523.jpeg

IMG_8528.jpeg

IMG_8556.jpeg

IMG_8522.jpeg

IMG_8527.jpeg

IMG_8551.jpeg

That Terror Tales and Horror Stories are sweet! Well, they are all nice, I just especially like those 2.

On 4/7/2024 at 10:46 PM, Robot Man said:

Wow, that Strange Stories 3 blows me away.

A couple days before Covid shutdown in 2020, I picked up a decent copy for $150. At a local show. 

Well, condition matters.  I don't think the copy on Heritage would've come anywhere near its price if it had been a much lower grade copy.

Indeed, the strange tales pair went for around 1.4k in 4.5, and I could be wrong but i think they're slightly more desirable books?  Those were the 2 I was gunning for but not at that price.  Ended up picking up the low grade vampire cover off ebay for 115 as a consolation prize.  I wonder if page quality makes a big difference.  Don't graded comic collectors get pick6 about page color?

On 4/7/2024 at 9:46 AM, Robot Man said:

IMG_8522.jpeg

Lol, this Terror Tales is ridiculous :D

It's one of a few that I think would sell for more than what you paid for the whole lot.

Some nice girlie pulps in there, too :x

I'm not exactly crazy about the Strange, but it seems like I've seen it do well at least a few times recently.  A dripping bloody woman's head carried off by a bat is kind of hard to ignore.

I think maybe there's some wait and see in the pulps happening right now, from many different angles.  

On 4/7/2024 at 8:11 PM, Darwination said:

Lol, this Terror Tales is ridiculous :D

It's one of a few that I think would sell for more than what you paid for the whole lot.

Some nice girlie pulps in there, too :x

I'm not exactly crazy about the Strange, but it seems like I've seen it do well at least a few times recently.  A dripping bloody woman's head carried off by a bat is kind of hard to ignore.

I think maybe there's some wait and see in the pulps happening right now, from many different angles.  

I remember when I first saw this cover, a nice copy sold on the bay for about $250, and I started looking for any decent copy under $300 and it just so happened that this was the time of changes, around 2021, and no nice copies came up. Only pukey beaters priced at $500+. No thanks.

1. Really? They just sent me an offer for $1250. Oom yeah..  I need that number in the corner... yes'm 😄

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256466849868?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=be6F0ALMQOq&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=XwvppebcTg6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

So this just went at auction for probably what it's worth.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364819520611?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=be6F0ALMQOq&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=XwvppebcTg6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I think this whole "every graded pulp is now worth a thousand dollars" will whither on the vine as it should and the power to the people will be restored.

I'm not a hater, I just think Bob Overstreet was right to promote gradual increases, even when local conditions sent a few books skyward.

Agree that sanity will be restored, sooner than later.

Hopefully sooner :D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145708115779

Totally happy to see new people interested in pulps.

Happy to see the value of pulps increase (my pulps, not the pulps I want to buy :roflmao: or the pulps that need to get scanned :cry:)

Unhappy to see newcomers exploring the pulps getting burned. 

Speculators on the other hand, I have no sympathy for.

Some of the dealers I see listing these books at drastically marked up prices know better and absolutely seem to be looking for suckers. 

I've seen fair prices on the graded pulps, too, so it's not like everybody is going for the throat on it...

On 4/8/2024 at 12:32 PM, Darwination said:

They've been saying that in the comic book market for about 22 years now.

On 4/8/2024 at 12:32 PM, Darwination said:

Some of the dealers I see listing these books at drastically marked up prices know better and absolutely seem to be looking for suckers. 

I've seen fair prices on the graded pulps, too, so it's not like everybody is going for the throat on it...

It's the Wild West right now while the market is waiting to see what post-slabbed pulp prices are going to be, so I don't blame the dealers or sellers.  They don't want to end up selling pulps for what in retrospect will be seen to be way too cheap, like some of them did with slabbed comics in the early days of CGC.  

At least with comics in those days, there was Overstreet to use as a reference, and I remember people using rule of thumb pricing of 9.2 = 2x the OPG 9.2 price, 9.4 = 4x the OPG 9.2 price, 9.6 = 6X and 9.8 = 10X or higher in the early days.  But it quickly became apparent that early SA DC, for example, was priced way too low in OPG and I remember often paying 10X for 9.4 DCs and even higher multiples for 9.6s and 9.8s.  It took a while before there were enough market transactions for people to develop a database and stop referring to Overstreet.

Pulps have Bookery's Guide, but I don't think it has the same level of acceptance in the pulp market as Overstreet did in comics, and the most recent edition (2d ed.) came out in 2019, which is an eternity ago.

On 4/8/2024 at 12:32 AM, Darwination said:

Hopefully sooner :D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145708115779

Totally happy to see new people interested in pulps.

Happy to see the value of pulps increase (my pulps, not the pulps I want to buy :roflmao: or the pulps that need to get scanned :cry:)

Unhappy to see newcomers exploring the pulps getting burned. 

Speculators on the other hand, I have no sympathy for.

This book is as common as spit. I walked by a dealer at a local show with a stack of them. Cheap.

On 4/7/2024 at 10:27 PM, comicnoir said:

This book is as common as spit. I walked by a dealer at a local show with a stack of them. Cheap.

I almost bought one today on a whatnot pulp auction 😆 

On 4/8/2024 at 1:22 AM, tth2 said:

It's the Wild West right now while the market is waiting to see what post-slabbed pulp prices are going to be, so I don't blame the dealers or sellers.  They don't want to end up selling pulps for what in retrospect will be seen to be way too cheap, like some of them did with slabbed comics in the early days of CGC.  

At least with comics in those days, there was Overstreet to use as a reference, and I remember people using rule of thumb pricing of 9.2 = 2x the OPG 9.2 price, 9.4 = 4x the OPG 9.2 price, 9.6 = 6X and 9.8 = 10X or higher in the early days.  But it quickly became apparent that early SA DC, for example, was priced way too low in OPG and I remember often paying 10X for 9.4 DCs and even higher multiples for 9.6s and 9.8s.  It took a while before there were enough market transactions for people to develop a database and stop referring to Overstreet.

Pulps have Bookery's Guide, but I don't think it has the same level of acceptance in the pulp market as Overstreet did in comics, and the most recent edition (2d ed.) came out in 2019, which is an eternity ago.

Unless they have the real McCoy type of items, price gougers are immediately removed from my saved seller list. Never to return. I haven't studied the Pulp market with a fine tooth comb, but I really don't see what I call a bubble, more a shaking out of the underbrush some very cool and very scarce items, that SHOULD be fetching record prices. I saw someone comparing Pulps to graded video games in Comics General and personally, that comparison is a bit obtuse, to put it nicely. I too, am curious about how the dust will settle, but I don't expect to see shudder pulps and classic GGA, to in any way mimic the WATA market. I think Rick has done a fine job rolling these out at Heritage. I think this market will be as healthy as a collectible market can be, and there are still thousands of unicorns. Slabbing won't change that. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

Pulps have not had the benefit of a Gerber Photo Journal book. Thusly, most are undiscovered. I see ones every day I never knew existed. Pulps have breathed a lot of new life in my collecting endeavors.

I have known for years that they are much more rare than comics. Very few people had the forsight to amass large collections in high grades. Comics have many pedigrees, pulps as of now, do not.

In knowing all of this, I have always known that the time to buy one you like is when you see it. Might never again get the chance. There are so many cool ones in all genres. But, they will always be second fiddle to comics for me. 

On 4/8/2024 at 10:22 AM, Robot Man said:

Pulps have not had the benefit of a Gerber Photo Journal book. Thusly, most are undiscovered. I see ones every day I never knew existed. Pulps have breathed a lot of new life in my collecting endeavors.

I have known for years that they are much more rare than comics. Very few people had the forsight to amass large collections in high grades. Comics have many pedigrees, pulps as of now, do not.

In knowing all of this, I have always known that the time to buy one you like is when you see it. Might never again get the chance. There are so many cool ones in all genres. But, they will always be second fiddle to comics for me. 

I second all of this.

I picked up a pulp at Windy City that was interesting and put it back in the box. I came back the next morning (basically only a few hours of "show time" since I put it down) and it was gone.

Same exact thing happened last year at Windy City; I didn't learn my lesson. :facepalm: