• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-Price Corrections to Overstreet (GA Listings)

35 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

In the mid 1970's Redbeard (Ron Pussell), Bob Nastasi and myself joined forces to find and identify as many censhorship books as possible from SOTI, Love and Death and Parade of Pleasure. We made tons of discoveries, compared notes and shared the info with Bob Overstreet. We also contributed ton of other info. We provided documentation and most of it went into the guide.

About the time Overstreet sold out to Geppi, I was no longer getting responses from Bob and my info no longer appeared in the guide. Even though I always had back up proof. He just didn't seem to care anymore. I had a nice list of corrections which I can no longer find. I just gave up.

There have been comments made for years about his lack of up to date pricing. The internet basically killed his ability to keep up a yearly guide accurately. OK, I get it. But what the book has to offer, and to me, has always been equaly important to pricing is information. The lack of updating this information is disturbing. This is the main thing the guide has going for it.

This is exactly why I started this thread!  One board member told me a story about how his contact at the OPG was no longer responding to his emails and, for example, SOTI updates to the guide were not being made.  He made the comment I quote in the first page of this thread.  This is the present problem!  And the OPG needs to fix it.  I'm willing to help.  So are others.

Edited by sfcityduck

54 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I really don't care any more. Submitting info to Overstreet is a waste of my time.

I can't blame you for this.  This makes me sad.  Not because of you, but because of the OPG's waste of the goodwill it had.  The intent of this thread is to try to compile and save info that is in people's heads, like yours, and save it for posterity.  (I'm not saying you and other experienced and wise collectors are close to death, but lets save the knowledge)

57 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Here is a perfect example. Margie #36. A full story featuring Stan Lee pictured throughout. Stan even takes a teen age Margie to a night club. It also pictures ficticious movie stars. The earliest complete story featuring Stan I have run across. Shouldn't this be broken out and noted? Apparently, Mr Overstreet doesn't think so. I horded this issue for years upon discovering it, not telling anyone. The people I showed it to were blown away. 

That is the perfect example of what should be noted!  I will confirm its not tonight, and if not, I'll add it to the list.  Thanks!  I'd seen you talk about that issue before, I did not know it was not in OPG.

30 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

Wouldn't the GCD be the best alternative?

Surprisingly, GCD does not have as much info as OPG in many example I could mention.  GCD is a great thing, I wholeheartedly support it, but it is incredibly hard for me to browse.  I find the OPG to be MUCH more user friendly.  GCD just doesn't work as well for me.  One glance at OPG can convey more info to me than clicking through a bunch of screens at GCD and separating the wheat from the chaff to get the info I need.

This is a list of Overstreet errors I posted here on the boards in 2015.  I don't know if they have been corrected since then.

Adventures of the Dover Boys (1950) -- #2 does not exist.

All Comics (Chicago Nite Life; 1945) -- probably does not exist

Animal Crackers (1946) 1 & 2 do not exist; (1950s) "nn, nd" -- no such thing, but there is a #9 (1957) published by Green that is not listed.... this is probably what the "nn" line refers to.

A-1 Comics #1 (1944) does not exist... the nn (Kerry Drake) is actual #1.

Attack (1953) OPG accurately lists two #5s, but is a bit confusing... the first is dated Jan '53, and the second is dated Sep '53.

Battle Fire (1955) there is no #7.

Beware (1955) There doesn't appear to exist a #15.

Blue Beetle OPG questions the existence of #43... it does not exist.

Broncho Bill (1948) Schomburg did not do the covers for #s 6 & 7

Camera Comics (1944) The two no-number issues do not exist.

Captain and the Kids (1947+) #s 1 thru 15 do not exist! (Title begins with #16)

Catholic Comics (1946) #s 1 thru 4 do not exist.

Comedy Carnival (1950s) This is not a separate comic, but is the same as "All-Picture Comedy Carnival"

Cupid #2 (1950) The model on the cover is not Bettie Page. In fact, Bettie Page does not appear on the cover of any American comic book. This photo was taken in 1945 and used on this 1950 comic.... before Bettie was posing professionally, and before she even had the page-boy haircut. Collectors have been radically over-paying for this comic for years. See same error for My Love #4.

Danger is Our Business! (1955) There are no issues 4 thru 10.

Dime Comics #1 (1951) There is a 1945 issue, but the 1951 issue does not exist.

Dream Book of Romance #124 (#9) (1954) Does not exist. This is supposed to be part of the A-1 series, and there is an A-1 #124 -- but it is a humor issue titled "Hot Dog".

Ella Cinders (1948) Duplicate entry? OPG lists a #1 (with a #2 on the cover), and then lists a separate #2. There is only the #2 issue, which is indeed the first issue.

Family Funnies #9 (1946) Does not exist.

Fightin' Marines #11 (Jan '53) There is no "Canteen Kate" by Baker in this issue... OPG has confused this with Approved Comics #11 ("Fightin' Marines") from Aug '54, which does have Canteen Kate.

Frisky Animals on Parade -- there are no L.B. Cole covers on this title (3 issues) -- this has been confused with other titles.

Hercules (1968) OPG lists 2 "low distribution" magazine format issues for this Charlton title, #4 and #8. The #4 does not exist.

Hot Shot Charlie (1947) Not sure what this is? Does not appear to exist.

Jester (1945) This Chesler title does not exist... it has been confused with Jest.

Johnny Hazard (1949) Ran from #5 thru #8. #35 does not exist.

Jungle Jim (1949-1951) Title ends with #15. There are no issues 16 thru 20.

Katy Keene Fashion Book Magazine OPG correctly lists that there are no #s 3 thru 10.... but he misses that there are no issues 11 and 12 either. The title runs #s 1, 2 and then 13 thru 23.

Katzenjammer Kids (1953) #26 -- OPG lists half of book is 3-D... but only 5 pages are in 3-D.

Keen Detective Funnies (1940) vol. 3#2 does not exist.

Kid Colt Outlaw (1950s Album) OPG lsits this as 132 pages in b&w with cardboard covers.... but it does not seem to exist. Probably not an invention, as much as a possible British or Canadian reprint that was seen?

Liberty Comics (1945) Issue #5 does not exist.

Love Confessions (1951) The Robert Mitchum-Jane Russell photo-cover is #9, not #8.

Love Tales #59 (Marvel) -- does not exist

Love Trails #2 (Marvel) -- does not exist

Merry-Go-Round Comics (1944) #21 probably does not exist.

Murder Incorporated #1 (1948) There is a typo in the price-spread.

My Love #4 (1950) Photo is not Bettie Page (also see Cupid #2)

My Secret Life #27 (1950) Double-entry in OPG... there is no 1950 issue, but the Sep '51 issues does exist.

Private Buck (1941) There is no Large Feature #22 with Private Buck.

Sheena (1949-50) Baker did not do the covers of issues 5 thru 10.

Strange Story #1 (1946) Although some original art exists, the title was never actually published.

Super Duper (Harvey, 1941) There is a #3 issue from Howard, and there is one or more obscure issues from Britain, there is a Super-Dooper comic from Harvey, but the #5, #8, and #11 issues listed by OPG here do not exist.

Sweetie Pie (1955-1957) There are no issues 3 thru 14. There are only 3 issues.... 1, 2 and 15.

Sweet Romance #1 (1968) Charlton. Does not exist.

Sweet Sixteen #8 (1947) OPG lists the cover model as Shirley Jones (as in Partridge Family)... but the model is Shirley Johns (and is not a celebrity as far as I know).

United States Marines #s 7 thru 11 by Toby do not exist.

Varsity (1945) Another title I can't confirm.... possibly this is a magazine and not a comic book?

Vic Flint (1949) #s 3 thru 5 do not appear to exist.

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

Surprisingly, GCD does not have as much info as OPG in many example I could mention.  GCD is a great thing, I wholeheartedly support it, but it is incredibly hard for me to browse.  I find the OPG to be MUCH more user friendly.  GCD just doesn't work as well for me.  One glance at OPG can convey more info to me than clicking through a bunch of screens at GCD and separating the wheat from the chaff to get the info I need.

Certainly the information is laid out quite differently than in Overstreet, but where else can you find story information with full credits for every issue in a title? Certainly not in Overstreet. But if GCD is lacking in data, I would suggest to submit it much thee way you do with Overstreet.

I really encourage submissions to the GCD, but I've had some info rejected there.  For example, one of the editors turned down my note regarding the creation of the Spectacular Spider-Man title because I had no written documentation.  But it can be difficult to cite sources when you're recalling info from 40 years ago.

The last time I sent a substantial amount of info to Overstreet was in 2001 or so.  They did incorporate my data, almost all DC items.

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

Certainly the information is laid out quite differently than in Overstreet, but where else can you find story information with full credits for every issue in a title? Certainly not in Overstreet. But if GCD is lacking in data, I would suggest to submit it much thee way you do with Overstreet.

GCD can be much more granular than Overstreet (although there are many many holes).  But, that is what makes it much less useful because you cannot easily find first appearance, key artist, SOTI reference, and other useful data for an entire title at a glance.  Does GCD even discuss scarcity and rarity or classic covers, etc.?   GCD and OPG serve different functions, even when it comes to non-price info.  GCD renders the Gerber guides a relic of the past, but not the OPG.  However, I agree that data should be submitted to GCD also.

Edited by sfcityduck

I have had two non price related suggestions that have been placed in the guide: 

Cap 2 - 1st app round shield 

Action 7 - 1st time the name Superman is printed in a comic cover 

Whether or not others had suggested them the same year I sent my reports in is unknown to me. The round shield was changed after several suggestions I made over a few years. The Action 7 note was added the first time I had suggested it. I’m still waiting for Bob to change the Cap 1 listing where it still is listed (in error) that the Sentinels of Liberty fan club advertisement is on the inside front cover. This is not the case as the ad is on the very last page of the first Cap story. I suppose Bob picks and chooses which adjustments he wishes to make each year, or it’s just a constant oversight...? :p

4 hours ago, Primetime said:

I suppose Bob picks and chooses which adjustments he wishes to make each year, or it’s just a constant oversight...? :p

I and others have communicated with others, not Bob.  I assume that most of the small changes are decided upon by other staffers.

23 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Here is a perfect example. Margie #36. A full story featuring Stan Lee pictured throughout. Stan even takes a teen age Margie to a night club. It also pictures ficticious movie stars. The earliest complete story featuring Stan I have run across. Shouldn't this be broken out and noted? Apparently, Mr Overstreet doesn't think so. I horded this issue for years upon discovering it, not telling anyone. The people I showed it to were blown away. 

It is shocking, but this is not noted by OPG or GCD!  I've added it above.  

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

It is shocking, but this is not noted by OPG or GCD!  I've added it above.  

I agree. I discovered it in a flea market pile I bought many years ago. (I actually look inside my books). I was blown away that it not only was noted but broken out of the run. I sent Bob the info with pictures for 5 years in a row then gave up. I bought as many copies as I could find for many years. 

I emailed Overstreet twice about including in the OSPG reference that Superman 113 was the first reference to "Kal-El" in comic books ("Kal-El" debuted in a 1942 novel called "The Adventures of Superman", but hadn't been used in comics until 1957 (Superman 113).  I never got a reply, and the Guide doesn't reference it.  Disappointing, considering the intro of the OSPG has that request that any corrections or additions or other data points should be emailed to the editorial staff.

21 minutes ago, zosocane said:

I emailed Overstreet twice about including in the OSPG reference that Superman 113 was the first reference to "Kal-El" in comic books ("Kal-El" debuted in a 1942 novel called "The Adventures of Superman", but hadn't been used in comics until 1957 (Superman 113).  I never got a reply, and the Guide doesn't reference it.  Disappointing, considering the intro of the OSPG has that request that any corrections or additions or other data points should be emailed to the editorial staff.

I agree that is cool and worth noting:

Superman 113 – Jor-El as Krypton's super-hero | Babblings about DC Comics 3

On 10/29/2020 at 5:05 PM, zosocane said:

That’s a good piece of info. I wonder what balance OSPG may give as far as changes suggested by advisors vs. non-advisors. Not that it should matter as long as the facts are legit. (thumbsu