• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Super Strict Grading
1 1

123 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, SecretComicRoom said:

I am simply pleading the cases of people who do not wish to come forward for varying reasons while trying to set the record straight. I think you offer some good advice but I do not agree with things you say regarding CPR. When you have someone who always gets 1-5 grade bumps on CPR books over the course of 10 years, and all of the sudden its not happening.... multiplied by multiple people.

Imagine for 10 years you can bump books and you can count on ur single finger how many books have not bumped when you thought they were a candidate now all the sudden every order is coming back with no bumps and losing grades.... while you have improved your process. Come on now!

Sounds like you've had a pretty good run...

11 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Sounds like you've had a pretty good run...

If you know how to look for defects, understand grading,  and know how to press all of those defects out to really improve the comic... you think that person should not have had a good run?

If you quantifiably improve something, and someone basically degrades it... thats how this should work?

37 minutes ago, SecretComicRoom said:

If you know how to look for defects, understand grading,  and know how to press all of those defects out to really improve the comic... you think that person should not have had a good run?

If you quantifiably improve something, and someone basically degrades it... thats how this should work?

Show me some examples of these books that have been degraded, along with grader notes, I would be willing to give you a complimentary second opinion. 

Edited by Topnotchman
Spelling

46 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Of course. Please bear in mind that CGC and CCS employ some of the top experts in the world and they all handle hundreds of books every week. They know exactly what they're looking at and exactly what to look for. Even expertly pressed books can exhibit certain characteristics which may be viewed as flaws by eagle-eyed graders...

Exactly. There are a ton of horrible amateur and “pro” pressers out there now. People are basically butchering the books. I am curious to see how much of a negative impact widespread bad pressing will have on books longer term.

41 minutes ago, SecretComicRoom said:

You can always choose to move the game to a different venue...  

32 minutes ago, Topnotchman said:

Show me some examples of these books that have been degraded, along with grader notes, I would be willing to give you a complimentary second opinion. 

I get complimentary second opinions from people I know personally who have or are professional graders. It is why I am taking a strong stance here and not even so much for myself... for other people who aren't willing to come out and talk about this problem due to fear it will hurt their business. They cant pay rent or whatever else. 

29 minutes ago, kimik said:

Exactly. There are a ton of horrible amateur and “pro” pressers out there now. People are basically butchering the books. I am curious to see how much of a negative impact widespread bad pressing will have on books longer term.

while I agree with you 100 percent... do you see who made this initial post? Hero Restoration. When I talk about "pro" it is someone who is familiar with working with paper at the full conservation and restoration level. People who know paper. Not someone who bought a pressing guide and a t shirt press 6 months ago.

19 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Thats already been done by most. They have cut off CPR until it is ironed out but that should not have to be the case. Not at all. Sorry you dont agree. 

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

Of course. Please bear in mind that CGC and CCS employ some of the top experts in the world and they all handle hundreds of books every week. They know exactly what they're looking at and exactly what to look for. Even expertly pressed books can exhibit certain characteristics which may be viewed as flaws by eagle-eyed graders...

and some pressers have been trained by some of these top experts in the world in grading to know exactly what to look at and what to look for. Some of these pressers are handling hundreds of books every week as well. Yes expertly pressed books can exhibit certain characteristics which may be viewed as flaws by eagle-eyed graders... sure... all day... but then that should have been a problem all along. Not just now. 

1 hour ago, Topnotchman said:

Pro tip here, if you choose to enter the CPR arena your only guaranteed to spend money and loose time. 

the pro tip thing was old the first time. I only used it to be condescending to someone who I felt was being ultra condescending.

Maybe that has been ur experience but that has not been others experiences for the last decade until recently.

9 hours ago, SecretComicRoom said:

my post exists to inform you that you are the one who is wrong sir! Because these books were not "stored in boxes" they were "encapsulated in archival Smithsonian museum quality like materials" which greatly slows the "aging" process. Or do you not know what those shiny plastic cases with grades before and after, are?? 

Incorrect.

10 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

True enough. Loose grading is the norm with the competition, but that means lower sales prices as well..........

12 hours ago, SecretComicRoom said:

and some pressers have been trained by some of these top experts in the world in grading to know exactly what to look at and what to look for. Some of these pressers are handling hundreds of books every week as well. Yes expertly pressed books can exhibit certain characteristics which may be viewed as flaws by eagle-eyed graders... sure... all day... but then that should have been a problem all along. Not just now. 

I have no problem with it when I do the CPR game. All you have to do is know how to grade strictly and what flaws press easily. If the amateurs are getting burned now because they do shi tty press jobs, tough luck. 

Oh, and avoid almost all CBCS books - if you are lucky they stay the same grade.

Edited by kimik

4 minutes ago, SecretComicRoom said:

for probably the 5th time now... HERO RESTORATION STARTED THIS THREAD. Probably the farthest from amateur

According to who? If the CPR is no longer working for them, then that tends to back up my comment. There are way too many shoddy pressers out there that are destroying books and now getting nailed for it and whining. Good on CGC for nailing them for amauteurish work.

Edited by kimik