• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Super Strict Grading
1 1

123 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, SecretComicRoom said:

listen gimik... according to some of the most important people in this industry. I am not going to name drop here to prove a point to you. 

Name calling to defend shoddy pressing and restoration? lol  If they are professional then the CPR game would work.

Go back to the PGX or CBCS boards if you can't have a civil discussion.

Edited by kimik

11 minutes ago, SecretComicRoom said:

for probably the 5th time now... HERO RESTORATION STARTED THIS THREAD. Probably the farthest from amateur

They say that using capital letters when writing makes it appear that you're shouting. There are other ways to emphasize without using capital letters...  :foryou:

7 minutes ago, kimik said:

One Does Not Simply Meme Generator Template

One does not simply crack open any slab, do a shoddy amateur press job, and expect a grade bump from CGC......................

One does simply crack open a slab which has been screened by 2 people to be a good candidate for cpr, expertly pressed and expect a grade bump. Maybe not every single time, every single day but not like what is being described here. 

A hint for any other pressing/restoration service - if you come on here complaining that CGC is too strict, think first about the message you are sending about the quality of your work to the broader collecting community that has never heard of you before.............

Just now, SecretComicRoom said:

One does simply crack open a slab which has been screened by 2 people to be a good candidate for cpr, expertly pressed and expect a grade bump. Maybe not every single time, every single day but not like what is being described here. 

A collector needs to ask themselves this - do the people who said it was a good candidate for cpr know more about grading than I do? If not, then pass.

4 minutes ago, kimik said:

A hint for any other pressing/restoration service - if you come on here complaining that CGC is too strict, think first about the message you are sending about the quality of your work to the broader collecting community that has never heard of you before.............

hm

6 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

What's the science behind this "professional" opinion?

no science it is simple and I have already explained it so go back and re read if you care, if not oh well

Incorrect.

lol so what is the point of the archival encapsulation?  It should greatly slow the aging process of interior pages

I guess professionally-written English is "condescending" nowadays. (shrug)

guess we will agree to disagree

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Look out, he's a "professional". Slabs stop the pages from aging!

I didn't say stop... I said it slowed down the aging process... esp of interior pages

14 minutes ago, kimik said:

hence why a lot are not coming forward

1 minute ago, SecretComicRoom said:

no science it is simple and I have already explained it so go back and re read if you care, if not oh well

lol so what is the point of the archival encapsulation?  It should greatly slow the aging process of interior pages

guess we will agree to disagree

I didn't say stop... I said it slowed down the aging process... esp of interior pages

You haven't, though.

"Should" is the real S-word. "Greatly" is as hyperbolic as when I said "stop".

If you're contending a "disagreement" with facts, then I accept your concession.

See: 2nd sentence.

7 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You haven't, though.

"Should" is the real S-word. "Greatly" is as hyperbolic as when I said "stop".

If you're contending a "disagreement" with facts, then I accept your concession.

See: 2nd sentence.

it greatly slows down the aging process of the interior pages.

9 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Show me the science that supports an encapsulation "greatly slows down the aging process" in comparison to a mylar and acid-free backing board.

I'll wait. :taptaptap:

no you

I said of interior pages. and I did not say in comparison to mylar. some acid free backing boards are not full acid free. So if you have a mylar with a bcw backing board.. going to be different than with an e Gerber. 

Show me the science that supports your argument that pages age at the same rate in the holder as a regular poly bag and bcw backing board.  

10 minutes ago, SecretComicRoom said:

no you

I said of interior pages. and I did not say in comparison to mylar. some acid free backing boards are not full acid free. So if you have a mylar with a bcw backing board.. going to be different than with an e Gerber. 

Show me the science that supports your argument that pages age at the same rate in the holder as a regular poly bag and bcw backing board.  

What you said is factually incorrect.

The onus is on you to prove your claims. If you cannot, then again, I accept your concession.

Edit; Just so that the message to you is absolutely concise: You cannot prove a negative. If you claim that "God" is real, then you need to prove its existence. If you claim that encapsulation provides additional "archival protection", then you must prove it.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

36 minutes ago, Topnotchman said:

Professional grading and professional restoration are seperate skills. 

Exactly.

And amateur pressing and professional pressing are separate skills. There are a ton of sellers doing hack jobs on books now, as well as pressing/restoration services that are learning on paying customers' books. 

27 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

What you said is factually incorrect.

The onus is on you to prove your claims. If you cannot, then again, I accept your concession.

Edit; Just so that the message to you is absolutely concise: You cannot prove a negative. If you claim that "God" is real, then you need to prove its existence. If you claim that encapsulation provides additional "archival protection", then you must prove it.

CGC makes that claim. to quote CGC the holder greatly slows down the aging process of the interior pages.