• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Almost two weeks of no electricity, an ambulance and a new puppy - Win a Prize Contest.
1 1

36 posts in this topic

Stiff competition here.

All of these have bolstered my mood.  Still no power.  The electric company estimates tomorrow.  At least the weather has been in the 70s the last few days and that will continue through next Tuesday when we get another cold snap. 

Keep 'em coming.  Not much of a prize I know. 

I appreciate all of you and have so very much enjoyed this community when I joined in 2007.  I was off for nearly two years when I had major health problems not knowing if I would walk again but when I got some of my health back, this was the first place I came.

15 minutes ago, telerites said:

Stiff competition here.

All of these have bolstered my mood.  Still no power.  The electric company estimates tomorrow.  At least the weather has been in the 70s the last few days and that will continue through next Tuesday when we get another cold snap. 

I appreciate all of you and have so very much enjoyed this community when I joined in 2007.  I was off for nearly two years when I had major health problems not knowing if I would walk again but when I got some of my health back, this was the first place I came.

Hope you got some sunshine with the higher temps! Does wonders for mood and over all cheer!  ^^

Dog story to let you know the types of things you may be in store for - My overly large Golden (pic below) was around 2 yrs old at the time.  I was slicing up a ham with an electric knife and had about 7 slices on the plate.   So I walked over and placed it on the kitchen table and went back by the oven to slice some more.    As I was slicing I hear the sound of ceramic rattling.   I look over my shoulder and he's up on his hind legs with the tips of his front paws scraping the plate as he's trying to drag the plate over.   I hesitate for a second before putting the knife down and heading over to the table. But in that moment he got enough of the plate to scoop up all 7 pieces.   So I grabbed him by the collar, pulled him over to his crate and tossed him into it.  That caused all the pieces to fall out of his mouth which forced me to lean into the cage and quickly pull him out of it before he got a hold of them again.

Good luck with your situation & congrats on the rugrat.

rem.jpg

13 hours ago, csaag said:

Dog story to let you know the types of things you may be in store for - My overly large Golden (pic below) was around 2 yrs old at the time.  I was slicing up a ham with an electric knife and had about 7 slices on the plate.   So I walked over and placed it on the kitchen table and went back by the oven to slice some more.    As I was slicing I hear the sound of ceramic rattling.   I look over my shoulder and he's up on his hind legs with the tips of his front paws scraping the plate as he's trying to drag the plate over.   I hesitate for a second before putting the knife down and heading over to the table. But in that moment he got enough of the plate to scoop up all 7 pieces.   So I grabbed him by the collar, pulled him over to his crate and tossed him into it.  That caused all the pieces to fall out of his mouth which forced me to lean into the cage and quickly pull him out of it before he got a hold of them again.

Good luck with your situation & congrats on the rugrat.

That is something.  I have been a dog owner almost my entire life.  We had a dog when I was seven so for 50 years.  I have some bird dogs but I fell in love with dachshunds when I was married,  I swear that dog had a better nose than any bird dog I ever owned.  I stopped hunting after my daughter was born, just didn't feel right anymore.  That dachshund once opened a drawer got to a chocolate bar and devoured it.  Keep in mind the drawer was at least a foot above his head but he managed to get on the bed and open it.  Took him to the vet when I saw what he had done as I have heard chocolate can hurt animals.  Btw, he was a long-hair.

After my divorce 6.5 years ago, I went pet-less but thought the time was right as I needed company and also thought it could be therapy for my mom.

This only difference between now and when I owned dogs earlier is I am lot more feeble than before.  Pups do tire you out lol 

My ex-wife got another long hair dachshund but she is battling cancer for a second time and it appears that the cancer is winning as it is Stage 4 and she is too tired to continue so she appears to be stopping treatment.  I did convince her to go see another oncologist which she is doing on Tuesday.  With that said she wants me to take her dog if she is not able to continue.  

And an update on my electricity - it was supposed to come back at 11 pm last night but now they say it will be another two days so it appears I will hit the two week mark.

And lastly through all of this, the part that makes me cry is for my daughter,  She and my mom has have always been close and now her mom may not be around.  All this while she tries to finish her last year of grad school.  :(

On 11/6/2020 at 7:57 AM, KirbyJack said:

Fun Fact: Did you know that if you swallow two pieces of string at the same time, they'll come out the other end tied together?

I $#!t you knot.

in the R Crumb documentary movie his brother swallowed a long piece of something and days later both ends of it were visible at the same time (not shown on screen) - yuk 

Edited by 1950's war comics

On 11/5/2020 at 10:21 AM, Ken Aldred said:

As always, sorry to hear about this. :frown:

Good news about the puppy. :smile:

Often described as 'man's best friend', but here in England canines are not without serious competition...

viz.jpg

Thanks to all for cheering me up.  A chuckle with all the funnies and the good news is I got power late last night.

And the winner is Paul - something I had never seen before, funny and awkwardly reminds me of my recent experiences lol 

Paul - I'll send you a PM for your paypal addy.

On 11/6/2020 at 4:22 PM, telerites said:

Stiff competition here.

Side note, I don't want to be included in the contest.  I just added something to hopefully bring you some ounce of joy in a trying time.