• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

See how the dealer handled comic books!

17 posts in this topic

Yikes - quite the collection but I’d have no idea how to set a price for that collection.  I’m sure there is a ton of stuff that is still collectible but the western book market is not even luke warm.  Anyone willing to guess a  bulk price for that stuff?  $10 a book? $50 a book since it’s high grade?

Edited by 1Cool

3 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Discussion about this over in Gold. 

Where?  I always get confused and turned around when I go in that section of the boards.

5 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Yikes - quite the collection but I’d have no idea how to set a price for that collection.  I’m sure there is a ton of stuff that is still collectible but the western book market is not even luke warm.  Anyone willing to guess a  bulk price for that stuff?  $10 a book? $50 a book since it’s high grade?

Westerns still sell for me.  The thing is most dealers get carried away on their prices, such that it never sells.  Forget the guide... most westerns in decent condition will sell over time in the $5-$10 range.  Trying to put guide (or even half guide sometimes) on them is a lost cause.  That said, there were enough rarities in the collection, that a couple of dozen books will easily cover what he paid for everything.  Despite the spandex crowd labeling it as drek over in GA, it's a very impressive collection purchased at a bargain rate.  I'd have paid 3x what he did, just based on what I saw in the videos alone.

I see westerns with good covers selling. i have no idea what in relation to guide, but worth listing. roy rogers boring covers not so much. I bid on some esoteric ones now and then. with that said, if I can see giant spine ticks when he is waiving the comics around they aren't near mint!

On 11/8/2020 at 1:37 PM, Bookery said:

Westerns still sell for me.  The thing is most dealers get carried away on their prices, such that it never sells.  Forget the guide... most westerns in decent condition will sell over time in the $5-$10 range.  Trying to put guide (or even half guide sometimes) on them is a lost cause.  That said, there were enough rarities in the collection, that a couple of dozen books will easily cover what he paid for everything.  Despite the spandex crowd labeling it as drek over in GA, it's a very impressive collection purchased at a bargain rate.  I'd have paid 3x what he did, just based on what I saw in the videos alone.

list them individually in title runs with $9.99 starting bids and I suspect that stuff sells pretty well as it is mostly in pretty decent shape. i'm not a western collector, but I do bid on the occasional book if I like the cover a lot or the artist or whatever. i'd go for some of those painted covers. but these books are not in NM condition for the most part despite him saying so over and over...

Edited by the blob

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

list them individually in title runs with $9.99 starting bids and I suspect that stuff sells pretty well as it is mostly in pretty decent shape. i'm not a western collector, but I do bid on the occasional book if I like the cover a lot or the artist or whatever. i'd go for some of those painted covers. but these books are not in NM condition for the most part despite him saying so over and over...

Agreed.  The key books, assuming they are there, will be the Frazetta Ghost Riders, any and all Toby John Waynes, L.B. Cole covers, many of the Fox westerns, and assorted rarities (Ralston Tom Mix, etc.).  It also appears he may have had a number of TV-related comics (I Love Lucy, etc.).  The Lobby cards will sell for $5-$10 and up, depending upon how early they get.  Most of the rest is pretty basic, but sell-able if one doesn't get greedy.