• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Big" purchase payment options?
2 2

29 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, brain_maniak said:

Thanks for the replies and advice @adampasz, @Artboy99, @piper, @theCapraAegagrus, @Glassman10, @Dr. Love. Much appreciated.

Is "solid" strictly 100% positive feedback, near 100% positive feedback, or does it vary depending on other factors as well?

Building trust and a business relationship definitely sounds like a key component when it comes to making a "big" purchase. I see that the PL and HOS exist to indicate what members one should possibly avoid dealing with. Is there something similar to indicate what members one should deal with? I guess in the end, it just comes down to who is selling what you're interested in.

On a bit of a side note, out of curiosity, do sellers on here usually avoid selling "big" purchases to new members until that business relationship and trust has been established?

Read everything you can/.Pay attention to the "Kudos" board. Look at lots of dealer sites and look at pricing.  LEARN TO GRADE.  Subscribe to GPA.

From the time I decided to sell the AF 15 to when I chose a way it would happen took 9 months. I was paid six months later.  It was very clean. 

It also depends on your definition of "Big". Everyone has their own unit value.

Edited by Glassman10
clarity

Thanks for the replies and suggestions @Artboy99, @Glassman10. Much appreciated.

On 11/21/2020 at 1:23 PM, Glassman10 said:

look at pricing

Any suggestions for where to look for prices? The places I am currently familiar with are eBay (past sales), Heritage Auctions (past sales), as well as GoCollect. I also have an Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, however, it is from a couple of years ago now.

5 hours ago, brain_maniak said:

Any suggestions for where to look for prices? The places I am currently familiar with are eBay (past sales), Heritage Auctions (past sales), as well as GoCollect. I also have an Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, however, it is from a couple of years ago now.

You just mentioned 3 of the top 4 ways to check. The only other one is another website called gpanalysis. It's subscription based with some tryout functionality like GoCollect. (I didn't comment on the OCBPG because, well, let's not have that discussion here)

Edited by Doctor Dositheus

On 11/28/2020 at 1:33 AM, brain_maniak said:

Thanks for the replies and suggestions @Artboy99, @Glassman10. Much appreciated.

I believe you indicated having a copy of Overstreet. Look at the larger ads. Find out their prices and compare. Many of their websites show asking price and grade. 

Thanks for the replies @Doctor Dositheus, @Glassman10. Much appreciated.

On 11/28/2020 at 5:51 AM, Doctor Dositheus said:

I didn't comment on the OCBPG because, well, let's not have that discussion here

Well now I have to ask out of curiosity. It seems like you may not be a fan of the Overstreet guide. Any particular reason why?

On 11/29/2020 at 7:08 AM, Glassman10 said:

Find out their prices and compare.

What happens in the event of a "significant" discrepancy (e.g. a book being listed as, or previously sold for, some value, but a copy of the same grade is up for sale for double that amount, if not more)? Is there one side you'd tend to lean towards being more accurate/correct?

2 hours ago, brain_maniak said:

Well now I have to ask out of curiosity. It seems like you may not be a fan of the Overstreet guide. Any particular reason why?

The problem with the Price Guide is you're looking at prices and sales from a half a year ago at least. It's just a different world, with keys moving with movie and media momentum all the time. It still has its place, and iI stlll love reading it cover to cover, but probably not the best source for how much copies of a title are selling for right now.

6 hours ago, brain_maniak said:

Thanks for the replies @Doctor Dositheus, @Glassman10. Much appreciated.

What happens in the event of a "significant" discrepancy (e.g. a book being listed as, or previously sold for, some value, but a copy of the same grade is up for sale for double that amount, if not more)? Is there one side you'd tend to lean towards being more accurate/correct?

Overstreet is quite useful but it's not a beacon showing current pricing. It's relative to activity. GPA would be a better reference.

You have to decide what you can afford and how much you want a comic book.  That's on you. Supply and demand would tell you whether this is a one shot sort of deal or whether it will usually be available.  Books like the AF15 aren't rare in general but they are rare in high grades. So, that would let you see a certain amount of variety in pricing for the book over a few years. I've seen that book in a 5.0 as high as $55K and as little as $32K. That's quite a spread but over three years.  I tend to think we're heading into a very weak economy soon. Selling books is frequently a result of recession. After recession, those same books often go up. As in the stock market, the real secret is knowing when to buy and when to sell.

If you're talking 50K, that's one thing. If you're talking $500 bucks, that's quite another. Don't gamble more than you can stand to lose. 

I don't know, but it kinda seems like common sense .. if you don't have much of a collection, and you are looking at a "big" purchase, then it would simply be a matter of "can you afford such a purchase" within the parameters of your life/your family life ? The one thing about accumulating a bit of a collection is that it gets to the point where you can "trade up" so to speak for that item that is "bigger" and "better" than what you currently have, and that will ALWAYS happen if you catch this collecting bug again. Either straight trading, or a combo of books plus cash.

But always buy within your means. It sounds simple and maybe stupid to say, but the temptation will be there often to overextend....take it from a current Canadian collector :flipbait:  

Thanks for the replies and advice @Doctor Dositheus, @Glassman10, @fishbone. Much appreciated.

On 12/2/2020 at 4:23 AM, Doctor Dositheus said:

The problem with the Price Guide is you're looking at prices and sales from a half a year ago at least. It's just a different world, with keys moving with movie and media momentum all the time. It still has its place, and iI stlll love reading it cover to cover, but probably not the best source for how much copies of a title are selling for right now.

On 12/2/2020 at 8:20 AM, Glassman10 said:

Overstreet is quite useful but it's not a beacon showing current pricing. It's relative to activity.

Yes, I sort of figured as much and I agree. It still provides something of value but can't keep the same pace as its digital counterparts.

On 12/2/2020 at 10:46 AM, fishbone said:

"can you afford such a purchase" within the parameters of your life/your family life

Right, this is good advice and I agree, I was just more curious as to the how.