• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is a Blue label better than a Purple?

307 posts in this topic

changing restored to apparent is exactly the same as CGC did when they stopped calling books by their letter grades (i.e NM, VF etc) and went only woth the numbers". Switching to a new nomenclature for todays new 'happenin' collector base that gets "confused" by all the confusing "old=style" comics jargon . These guys like big numbers and get confused by label colors.

plus ca change, or something like that.

and your point was? I mean besides using a bad analogy.

changing restored to apparent is exactly the same as CGC did when they stopped calling books by their letter grades (i.e NM, VF etc) and went only woth the numbers". Switching to a new nomenclature for todays new 'happenin' collector base that gets "confused" by all the confusing "old=style" comics jargon . These guys like big numbers and get confused by label colors.

plus ca change, or something like that.

and your point was? I mean besides using a bad analogy.

It's obviously a joke or parody, and a pretty good one.

It's been answered 500 times. You're just too dense to realize it. makepoint.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Let me guess, CGC uses a "special ink" for these extra notes and numbers, that would be totally invisible on a purple label? That's why all this new info REQUIRES a blue label, right? boo.gif

Wrong. But thanks for illustrating my point so well. 893applaud-thumb.gif

screwy.gif How does that illustrate your point?

Because he's too dense to articulate the answer that has already been given to him 500 times. makepoint.gif

Because he's too dense to articulate the answer that has already been given to him 500 times. makepoint.gif

You and I both know there is NO ANSWER. There is absolutely no reason why these new notes and resto ratings cannot be instituted on a Purple label, but you choose to dance around like a drunken fool rather than admit this.

You and I both know there is NO ANSWER. There is absolutely no reason why these new notes and resto ratings cannot be instituted on a Purple label, but you choose to dance around like a drunken fool rather than admit this.

Where did I say the notes "couldn't" be used on a purple label? My point is and always has been that they SHOULDN'T be used on a purple label. And my rationale for that position has been stated many times on these threads. It isn't my problem if you stubbornly refuse to read the reasons why, and I'm not going to repeat myself for the nine hundredth time only to have you ask the same asinine question as soon as I've finished.

Where did I say the notes "couldn't" be used on a purple label?

What question do you think you keep replying to? foreheadslap.gif

Specifically, your question: "What does this have to do with label color?"

Exactly.

People are promoting the new Blue Apparent label as inextricably linked to the Resto Notes and Grade, when it's obvious that the same format can be used on any color label. You could print it on Purple, Yellow, Orange, Green, etc. and the ink would still show up.

These two ideas, a new blue apparent label and the new resto label format have ABSOLUTELY NO connection whatsoever. That is my point, and that is what you contnually dance around.

Exactly.

People are promoting the new Blue Apparent label as inextricably linked to the Resto Notes and Grade, when it's obvious that the same format can be used on any color label. You could print it on Purple, Yellow, Orange, Green, etc. and the ink would still show up.

These two ideas, a new blue apparent label and the new resto label format have ABSOLUTELY NO connection whatsoever. That is my point, and that is what you contnually dance around.

How have I danced around it? I just said that my position is not that the purple label COULDN'T be used, but rather, that it SHOULDN'T be used. Why are you acting like such a freakin' person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point? screwy.gif

From my point of view, CGC would be providing MORE information about the book, thereby allowing the potential buyer to make an more informed purchasing decision.

This is exactly what is about to happen.

Steve said the PLOD stigma causes alot of buyers to simply overlook the books, without even bothering to check them out.

The all Blue may at least get people to consider a book with minimal resto. Some/most will always scoff at the restored book, regardless. But others may actually consider getting a nice looking book w/ minimal resto IF they understand the extent of it, or at least have some sort of barometer to gauge it by.

More info is better.

Looks like it's a good time to pick up some of those Slight-P PLOD's. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I thought it was CGC's job to detect restoration....not implement changes to promote restored books. confused.gif

More info is better.

I totally agree, but as usual, no one seems to want to answer the real question:

What does this have to do with the label color? confused-smiley-013.gif

JC;

Did you not read the post just above yours. The answer is very clearly specified right there:

Steve said the PLOD stigma causes alot of buyers to simply overlook the books, without even bothering to check them out.

In other words, Steve is simply stating that the colour of the label has resulted in a stigma being attached to the books which was NOT CGC's original intent behing the use of the purple label.

Sounds crystal clear to me as I have been making this exact same point for the longest time ever. makepoint.gif

From my point of view, CGC would be providing MORE information about the book, thereby allowing the potential buyer to make an more informed purchasing decision.

This is exactly what is about to happen.

The all Blue may at least get people to consider a book with minimal resto. Some/most will always scoff at the restored book, regardless. But others may actually consider getting a nice looking book w/ minimal resto IF they understand the extent of it, or at least have some sort of barometer to gauge it by.

More info is better.

Looks like it's a good time to pick up some of those Slight-P PLOD's. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I thought it was CGC's job to detect restoration....not implement changes to promote restored books. confused.gif

Beyonder;

Completely in agreement with your comments here. The only problem is that you are forgetting the other half of the equation.

CGC's job is to detect restoration, note or rate it as such and nothing more......not to implement a system that will stigmitize restored books.

By implementing a dual colour label system, CGC had unitentionally stigmitize these books to such an extent that the collectors cannot see past the colour of the label to see the actual books themselves. By removing the source of the stigmitism, it will be left up to the marketplace to determine the value of restored books based upon the type and extent of restoration on a particular book, instead of being unfairly biased by the colour of the label.

Bottom-line: CGC should neither promote or stigmitize any type of book. Their only job is to grade and detect restoration and let the marketplace determine the final value of a book in a level playing field. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why not change to a colour other than the one that has come to mean UNRESTORED for the last 5 years? confused-smiley-013.gif

Let PGX have the meaningless blue....and switch to platinum or something. If CGC is going to force large resubs...they might as well go all-in.insane.gif

boy, nobody is changing any minds here are we? Every time I keep reading that the color of the label has stigmatized restored books I just cant believe Im redaing it again. Get redy for a shock - - nothing will change: restored books will STILL be shunned even clothed in pretty blue labels.

In other words, Steve is simply stating that the colour of the label has resulted in a stigma being attached to the books which was NOT CGC's original intent behing the use of the purple label.

confused-smiley-013.gif Who cares?

I just want to know why the proponents of the "Blue Apparent" grade use the "enhanced notes and resto rating" as a selling point, when that has absolutely nothing to do with the color change.

So yeah, if you hated Purple and love Blue, fine, that's a color issue. But the "new format" is not color dependant and could easily be brought out with the Purple label.

There is no linkage.

Nope, like any other business, CGC's job is to satisfy their primary customers, which in this case are large dealers and online sellers.

You do the math.

confused-smiley-013.gif Who cares?

I just want to know why the proponents of the "Blue Apparent" grade use the "enhanced notes and resto rating" as a selling point, when that has absolutely nothing to do with the color change.

So yeah, if you hated Purple and love Blue, fine, that's a color issue. But the "new format" is not color dependant and could easily be brought out with the Purple label.

There is no linkage.

You're right, JC. There's no linkage. We want the increased info because it is good to have it, and we want to get rid of the purple label because it unfairly stigmatizes slightly restored books in a way that was not intended by CGC. Two separate concepts with two separate justifications. What I can't figure out is, why does trying to juggle two separate concepts cause you so much mental anguish?