• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is a Blue label better than a Purple?

307 posts in this topic

Yes,i know the mile high all star 3 was in a blue label[thats what i said,and it has slight resto.It got 126k, it was not stigmatized for being slightly restored was my point.not at that price! CGC is saying that slightly restored books were stigmatized.......the more fun 52 mile high was a private sale, thats why there are no public sales notes.

I'm not sure if you get this, but you're now arguing for the anti-Purple camp! makepoint.gif

The book you're referring to benefited from the current Golden Age exemption-- whereby at CGC's discretion, slightly restored GA books get holdered in the Blue Label right now (I believe this caveat is noted on the back of every label-- you might want to check to be sure). Lots of us here think this Golden Age exemption was originally a requirement for the BSD and other holders of slightly restored Church books to buy in to the CGC concept back on Day 1.

But now why should Golden Age be treated any differently from any other period?

So yes, that price is pretty convincing evidence that a book with Resto and a Blue label has no stigma attached to it. makepoint.gif

What do you think that same book would sell for with the exact same notes but entombed in a PLOD? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Exactly, like the Church copy of Adventure #40, one of the most important books in the hobby, which had extremely minor work done to it, yet it sold for only $63,250 because of the label color.

Or how about Nicolas Cage's copy of More Fun #53? It was a CGC 8.5 with the only restoration being a dot of glue on the spine (so it was probably an 8.0 or even an 8.5 before the glue was added), and it sold for $8,900. A year BEFORE that sale, an unrestored CGC 8.0 sold for $13,800. And just last year, the same book sold for $23,575. The difference in selling prices isn't the dot of glue -- it's the label color.

Exactly, like the Church copy of Adventure #40, one of the most important books in the hobby, which had extremely minor work done to it, yet it sold for only $63,250 because of the label color.

As a side note, that price is actually remarkable for a restored book and is a testament to the fact that the church copy is head and shoulders above anything else out there.

As a side note, that price is actually remarkable for a restored book and is a testament to the fact that the church copy is head and shoulders above anything else out there.

Right, and if it had been in a blue label slab with resto notes from the beginning, it would have sold for $100K or more.

Right, and if it had been in a blue label slab with resto notes from the beginning, it would have sold for $100K or more.

Yup. there's a conspicuous absence of an Adventure 40 from the $100,000 club list. From what I understand, there are just no other copies out there to take the Church copies place.

And you know this how?

So answer me this,since both books have only very minor work done to them,

Why is the mile high more fun 52 in a blue holder and the mile high adventure 40 in a plod?

This would argue well for a numerical system for restored books but not a change in the color. I think a totally unrestored and i mean totally unrestored book[since it is the very pinnicle of our hobby,should be given its very own color since it is head and shoulders above all the rest.

Ill never buy a restored book because like i said months ago,the rules are always changing with restored books,and here you are. This confusion simply cant happen with a totally unrestored book and this reinforces it in my mind.

And you know this how?

Apparently there are a large group of total on there, who would all apparently spend between $30K and $40K more on a restored book, just based on the color of the label.

I want to meet some of these people, with their checkbooks in hand. devil.gif

But dont slightly restored books get the blue label anyway? mile high more fun 52,

the 7.5 action 1, and many more i can think off.They were not stigmatized.they both sold for over 150k!!! thats no stigma to me.

A1K;

You have just proven my point here with this statement. The stigmitization is not caused by the restoration itself, the stigmitization is caused by the colour of the label.

As I have stated many times in the past, a pure unrestored HG GA book will usually sell for many multiples to guide. A HG GA book with very slight resto residing in a blue label will often still sell for a nice premium over guide. A HG GA book with slight resto residing in a purple slab will almost in all cases sell only at a deep deep discount to guide.

Although the actual amount of resto between the second and third books in the above example may be very marginal, the difference in price is enormous. And therein lies the stigmitization caused by the colour of the label.

And you know this how?

Now, I don't have the exact stats here in front of me, but some of you guys can check the exact prices and grade for me if you have the time.

A good comparison for the MH Adventure #40 would be the MH More Fun #52. They are both GA key first issues from DC and in the same ballpark in terms of OS guide price.

The MH More Fun #52 with very slight resto residing in a CGC 9.2 blue holder was able to sell for well over $100K several years ago when guide price was a lot lower. The MH Adventure #40 with slight resto residing in a CGC 9.6 purple label was able to sell recently at only a discount to guide after several earlier unsuccessful auction sales attempts.

There is no doubt that this MH Adventure #40 would have sold for over $100K if it had been sitting in a blue label since no other copy (either restored or unrestored) comes close to this copy.

And you know this how?

Now, I don't have the exact stats here in front of me, but some of you guys can check the exact prices and grade for me if you have the time.

A good comparison for the MH Adventure #40 would be the MH More Fun #52. They are both GA key first issues from DC and in the same ballpark in terms of OS guide price.

The MH More Fun #52 with very slight resto residing in a CGC 9.2 blue holder was able to sell for well over $100K several years ago when guide price was a lot lower. The MH Adventure #40 with slight resto residing in a CGC 9.6 purple label was able to sell recently at only a discount to guide after several earlier unsuccessful auction sales attempts.

There is no doubt that this MH Adventure #40 would have sold for over $100K if it had been sitting in a blue label since no other copy (either restored or unrestored) comes close to this copy.

The Edgar Church copy of Adventure #40 is a 9.2 Slight (A) according to GPA. Was it resubbed? confused.gif

And you know this how?

The Edgar Church copy of Adventure #40 is a 9.2 Slight (A) according to GPA. Was it resubbed? confused.gif

Arty's website keeping track of the CGC grades of the known graded Churck copies doesn't indicate any upgrade --> Arty's Church CGC grade website

The MH More Fun #52 with very slight resto residing in a CGC 9.2 blue holder

Wrong! That comic is sitting in a CGC UNIVERSAL GRADE slab, which is totally different than the current scenario.

Universal = Speculators and it has nada to do with the color.

No, no, no, this book is clearly NOT restored and has never had any restoration," exclaims Big Wig Comic Dealer to newbie speculator, "it is CONSERVED. Just look at the label".

I guess I just don't agree that collectors are as stupid as all that. As long as it will be extremely obvious from large-size lettering that "conserved" and "restored" books have been worked on, I seriously doubt there will be rampant misrepresentation of books to a gullible buying public. Moreover, I believe that providing detailed information on the nature and extent of work done on a book is far more informative for the buying public than the mere color of the label.

IMO, we, the collecting community, are smart and will benefit tremendously from the additional information that the new labeling system will provide.

a1k

You have just proven my point here with this statement. The stigmitization is not caused by the restoration itself, the stigmitization is caused by the colour of the label.

My point of comparing the adv 40 to the more fun 52 is that under the current system both books were treated fairly,so why change the system...

Yes they were treated fairly!.Even with a dot of color touch the more fun 52 sold for 150k in a private sale.The adventure 40 unlike the more fun 52,while it did have minor resto, it had more than a dot of color on it!.but still in the minor range.that is why the adv 40 is in a plod and the more fun 52 is not.THE ADV 40 HAD MORE RESTO ON IT THAN THE MORE FUN 52.but at the top range of the minor resto catagory.

both books were treated as they should be under the current system and got there deserved price.

The MH More Fun #52 with very slight resto residing in a CGC 9.2 blue holder

Wrong! That comic is sitting in a CGC UNIVERSAL GRADE slab, which is totally different than the current scenario.

Universal = Speculators and it has nada to do with the color.

JC;

As pointed out by FFB and Greggy, I was obviously wrong with respect to the actual grading on the MH Adventure #40. My memory must be starting to go and it must have been another key MH DC that received a 9.6 purple.

Anyways, I don't really understand your comment above or are you referring back to another one of your prior posts. The MH More Fun #52 has always resided in a blue CGC slab which I thought was their universal grade. The blue label on this particular universal slab clearly denotes the resto work that had been done on the book.

Bottom-line: Even with the resto work clearly denoted on the CGC BLUE LABEL UNIVERSAL GRADE slab, the MH More Fun #52 had no problems selling for well over $100K several years ago.

a1k

My point of comparing the adv 40 to the more fun 52 is that under the current system both books were treated fairly,so why change the system...

Yes they were treated fairly!.Even with a dot of color touch the more fun 52 sold for 150k in a private sale.The adventure 40 unlike the more fun 52,while it did have minor resto, it had more than a dot of color on it!.but still in the minor range.that is why the adv 40 is in a plod and the more fun 52 is not.THE ADV 40 HAD MORE RESTO ON IT THAN THE MORE FUN 52.but at the top range of the minor resto catagory.

both books were treated as they should be under the current system and got there deserved price.

A1K;

Again, you have proven my point here.

Yes, under the CURRENT system, the books clearly did get their deserved prices as evident by the huge difference in prices realized since the colour blue is hugely different from the colour purple.

Under the new proposed system, I would expect the price on the More Fun #52 to drop significantly and the price on the Adventure #40 to rise by a small amount. In the end, the More Fun #52 will still clearly sell for more than the Adventure #40, but most likely by a much smaller margin (assuming the sellers can ignore the prior price they had to pay for the books). These new prices would then be more reflective of the fact that although the Adventure #40 clearly does have more resto on it in comparison to the More Fun #52, the actual difference was not that large since one was just on the wrong side of the blue/purple colour border while the other was just on the right side of the blue/purple colour border.

Bottom-line: The new proposed system will see prices much more closely reflect the TYPE and EXTENT of the actual restoration as opposed to the huge difference in the colour of the label. To me, it is a much much more fairer system to have prices based upon the actual books themselves as opposed to have prices based upon the colour of a label.

After all, we are all here to collect comic books as opposed to collecting coloured labels.

a1k

A1K;

Again, you have proven my point here.

Yes, under the CURRENT system, the books clearly did get their deserved prices as evident by the huge difference in prices realized since the colour blue is hugely different from the colour purple.

Under the new proposed system, I would expect the price on the More Fun #52 to drop significantly and the price on the Adventure #40 to rise by a small amount. In the end, the More Fun #52 will still clearly sell for more than the Adventure #40, but most likely by a much smaller margin (assuming the sellers can ignore the prior price they had to pay for the books). These new prices would then be more reflective of the fact that although the Adventure #40 clearly does have more resto on it in comparison to the More Fun #52, the actual difference was not that large since one was just on the wrong side of the blue/purple colour border while the other was just on the right side of the blue/purple colour border.

Bottom-line: The new proposed system will see prices much more closely reflect the TYPE and EXTENT of the actual restoration as opposed to the huge difference in the colour of the label. To me, it is a much much more fairer system to have prices based upon the actual books themselves as opposed to have prices based upon the colour of a label.

After all, we are all here to collect comic books as opposed to collecting coloured labels.

Lou,

I have read both posts and I don't think his posts prove yours.