• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is a Blue label better than a Purple?

307 posts in this topic

we want to get rid of the purple label because it unfairly stigmatizes slightly restored books in a way that was not intended by CGC.

Prove that theory to me and I'll switch positions.

Do your own work. I don't care where you agree with it or not, so I'm not going to do it for you.

Being that were talking about slightly restored books being stigmatized,dont you think that a TOTALLY unrestored book is the pinnical of our hobby[deserving of the highest of praise]and deseves a color all its own.I dont think that a book with the very slightest of color touch should be held in the same regard as a totally unrestored book.I think your trying to close that gap in favor of the very slightly restored book

mile high all star 3 was 126k sale..what stigma with slightly restored books are you referring to? or are you really targeting the moderatly restored or even the ext restored? W hats your definition of slight is my question.

That book sold in a blue label slab. makepoint.gif

As for the More Fun #52, I don't see any sales data for that. Where are you getting your info?

What I can't figure out is, why does trying to juggle two separate concepts cause you so much mental anguish?

Because some proponents of the "Blue Apparent Label" use these "extra notes and ratings" as a "pro" in the color debate, when they really have no link.

For example, I like the new info, but detest the color change to Blue and the deletion of RESTORED from the label tier.

What I can't figure out is, why does trying to juggle two separate concepts cause you so much mental anguish?

Because some proponents of the "Blue Apparent Label" use these "extra notes and ratings" as a "pro" in the color debate, when they really have no link.

For example, I like the new info, but detest the color change to Blue and the deletion of RESTORED from the label tier.

Where did anyone say "We should get rid of the purple label because it doesn't work with the additional information?" No one on this side of the debate has said that. You have manufactured this as a straw man argument so that you have something to tear down. Retirement of the PLOD has always been about mitigating the stigma it has created, not because the "magic disclosure ink" doesn't work on a purple label.

Yes,i know the mile high all star 3 was in a blue label[thats what i said,and it has slight resto.It got 126k, it was not stigmatized for being slightly restored was my point.not at that price! CGC is saying that slightly restored books were stigmatized.......the more fun 52 mile high was a private sale, thats why there are no public sales notes.

In the other thread, Red Hook came out in support of the new format, stating:

"Ultimately, there is more information available on the label and I like that."

When in reality, his point is moot, since it has absolutely no link to the debate at hand regarding the color switch, the change to CGC APPARENT GRADE and the CONSERVED status.

These extra notes are like the loIlipop kids get after a doctor's visit or after taking some particularly harsh medicine, and is totally inconsequential to the reality of what's going on.

Little Kid: I got a loIIipop!!

Adult: We took Jimmy in for his innoculations.

we want to get rid of the purple label because it unfairly stigmatizes slightly restored books in a way that was not intended by CGC.

Prove that theory to me and I'll switch positions.

Do your own work. I don't care where you agree with it or not, so I'm not going to do it for you.

Then we'll agree to disagree then. As I stated earlier, you don't want to do the work because you can't prove it.

This is really the main issue we're debating here.

Why not change to a colour other than the one that has come to mean UNRESTORED for the last 5 years? confused-smiley-013.gif

That's a good point. If the color of the label is not intended to convey any information, why not just make it white? confused-smiley-013.gif

Good point. Although I wish they have done that five years ago.

BTW- Studies have shown that people taking tests on blue colored paper scored higher than using any other colored paper. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As I stated earlier, you don't want to do the work because you can't prove it.

And as I stated earlier, you do not want to do the work because you know I'm right.

You realize that speculators seeking best-of-breed collectibles have driven high-grade Universal book prices sky-high, and left Restored books far behind, but don't want to accept that.

As I stated earlier, you don't want to do the work because you can't prove it.

And as I stated earlier, you do not want to do the work because you know I'm right.

You realize that speculators seeking best-of-breed collectibles have driven high-grade Universal book prices sky-high, and left Restored books far behind, but don't want to accept that.

This is really pointless. I believe JC is right. FFB and others believe they're right but neither side is willing to lay out some facts to support their opinions.

But without facts to back up their beliefs, aren't we really debating opinions? As a CPA, this is really driving me bonkers. insane.gif

Also, I'm surprised that CGC hasn't laid out facts for everyone to see. They are making a MAJOR policy change and there HAS to be reasons for it. To say "Well, I believe that the purple label has caused a stigma..." without financial numbers to back them up means that you will always have people disagreeing with that.

Also, I'm surprised that CGC hasn't laid out facts for everyone to see. They are making a MAJOR policy change and there HAS to be reasons for it. To say "Well, I believe that the purple label has caused a stigma..." without financial numbers to back them up means that you will always have people disagreeing with that.

Now there is a good point I have yet to see addressed.

Where did I say the notes "couldn't" be used on a purple label?

What question do you think you keep replying to? foreheadslap.gif

Specifically, your question: "What does this have to do with label color?"

Exactly.

People are promoting the new Blue Apparent label as inextricably linked to the Resto Notes and Grade, when it's obvious that the same format can be used on any color label. You could print it on Purple, Yellow, Orange, Green, etc. and the ink would still show up.

These two ideas, a new blue apparent label and the new resto label format have ABSOLUTELY NO connection whatsoever. That is my point, and that is what you contnually dance around.

How have I danced around it? I just said that my position is not that the purple label COULDN'T be used, but rather, that it SHOULDN'T be used. Why are you acting like such a freakin' person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point? screwy.gif

gossip.gif He's not acting.

Yes,i know the mile high all star 3 was in a blue label[thats what i said,and it has slight resto.It got 126k, it was not stigmatized for being slightly restored was my point.not at that price! CGC is saying that slightly restored books were stigmatized.......the more fun 52 mile high was a private sale, thats why there are no public sales notes.

I'm not sure if you get this, but you're now arguing for the anti-Purple camp! makepoint.gif

The book you're referring to benefited from the current Golden Age exemption-- whereby at CGC's discretion, slightly restored GA books get holdered in the Blue Label right now (I believe this caveat is noted on the back of every label-- you might want to check to be sure). Lots of us here think this Golden Age exemption was originally a requirement for the BSD and other holders of slightly restored Church books to buy in to the CGC concept back on Day 1.

But now why should Golden Age be treated any differently from any other period?

So yes, that price is pretty convincing evidence that a book with Resto and a Blue label has no stigma attached to it. makepoint.gif

What do you think that same book would sell for with the exact same notes but entombed in a PLOD? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So yes, that price is pretty convincing evidence that a book with Resto and a Blue label has no stigma attached to it.

Let's not be simplistic here, as those GA books go far beyond a color debate, and are encased in UNIVERSAL slabs.

So yes, that price is pretty convincing evidence that a book with Resto and a Blue label has no stigma attached to it.

Let's not be simplistic here, as those GA books go far beyond a color debate, and are encased in UNIVERSAL slabs.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif True enough. So now here is an interesting question... once they do away with PLODs, will future GA books with slight resto, at CGC's discretion etc. etc. continue to be eligible for the UNIVERSAL designation, or will they fall in to the new Blue APPARANT holder? confused-smiley-013.gif