• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is a Blue label better than a Purple?

307 posts in this topic

Yes,that is certainly true too.But it brings to mind what ive learned only over the last 5 years. There is an enormous,and i do mean enormous amount of restored golden age silver age books out there.The number is mind boggling.Remember only a few years back when you restored a book[and the value went up!]Thats the reason for the enormity of restored books now! theres no escaping it.Even the top 10 mile high keys[5 of them,thats 1/2 of them have resto on em.

if you can get data that shows that Restored prices have held steady through the inception of CGC, only looking stigmatised comparitive to the insane multiples of guide garnered by HG blue slabs, i think you would really be able to eliminate a large percentage of the "Pro-all blue slabs" contingent's argument

If someone has the time to show in detail how prices for resto'd books have "NOT" dropped since the inception of the PLOD (in relation to unrestored books) i would be willing to change my mind, but until then...... 893blahblah.gif

If someone has the time to show in detail how prices for resto'd books have "NOT" dropped since the inception of the PLOD

Go back and look at some auction sales in the 1990's, then do some basic "adjust for inflation/Overstreet" math, and you'll see this to be true. The numbers are there, if you want to do the legwork.

The difference in the market now, is that CGC has caused Unrestored Gems to EXPLODE in value, far outstripping both the OS Guide and restored market prices. Speculators and investors at work, my friend.

In general i would agree to a point..The goldenage age keys are more an aspect of supply and demand.Golden age keys are riddled with restoration.A golden age key in totally unrestored condition in general is quite scarce and is RARE in fine and above unrestored condition. So supply and demand is a factor here.There are many factors that contribute to what your saying.What you are saying is not the only cause,its a bit of what im saying,its a bit in what your saying and other reasons, so lets not talk in absolutes.

IT dosnt take Enstein to figure that people who only collect unrestored are going to want the plod to stay and people who collect restored are going to want the plod to go....

Actually, I'd say it's the people who SELL (or currently own raw with the intention to sell CGC'd in the future) that are screaming at CGC to get rid of the PLOD.

IOW, big dealers. foreheadslap.gif

No, the people who SELL or intend to sell restored books include those who intend to buy them in the future and sell them at some point after that. So it's really everyone who is interested in restored books.

And what's wrong with that? It seems natural that those who are most interested in the topic are those who are interested in owning restored books, whether for long term holding and/or for eventual resale.

It seems natural that those who are most interested in the topic are those who are interested in owning restored books, whether for long term holding and/or for eventual resale.

I'm not interested in owning restored books....but I'm interested in this topic. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think you mean "financial interest".

JC, youre doing fine on this purple v blue thing. Dont blow it bringing in the "speculators" angle as usual and going off the deep end.

confused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I believe that speculators are responsible for at least some of the price spikes we've seen since CGC started up, and I think you'd be pretty naive to believe otherwise. And that speculators gravitate to the very best, unrestored, pristine copies is common knowledge.

Do you really disagree with this?

I d have to get a definition of the "speculators" you are talking about.

If its comics collectors who have been paying high prices lately for HG and key books, are they "speculators?"--- or just fellow collectors with $$$ who are willing to pay a lot of money to get books they really want a lot, including those who truly believe they will be able to sell them for more money than they paid. To me, I dont think these people are the "speculators" YOU are always referring to all the time.

Your speculators are non-collectors buying to make a quick kill in a hot market. And I know prices have gone wild, and people have been buying and flipping for profit, but I dont see ANYONE besides Parrino doing it that havent been collectors for years beforehand. And a great many of them have explained that they flip mainly to feed their collecting habit.... because, frankly, not everyone who can afford these prices lately can afford to keep them and still afford to buy more comics too.

so who ARE the speculators you always refer to?

If a *collector* is paying nosebleed prices with the intent of flipping the book for multiples of said nosebleed prices, then guess what?

He's a speculator.

I don't care what he calls himself in the dead of night, you are defined by your actions, and the above is definitely speculator activity.

Hey Aman! not actually replaying to you - just ton the last post, which happens to be you - and not that you don't post interetsing and inciteful posts - you do - but

This whole topic is gradually making me insane. It ultimately boils down to a few very distinct things:

1) Blue, purple, chartreuse, henna WHATEVR. If someone wants to scam they will succeed in changing the color of the label. Hell, they will slice a scan of a Universal label into a Resto label.

2) Ignoring #1 and just addressing the sellers with the new blue-label resto bookswith scans too small to read the label details - why would anyone bid on such a book, unless the seller is willing to and has sent a readable scan? Are we protecting collectors by policing label colors? Or should NOT collectors have enough knowledge to know a cgc scan that is not readable is a useless scan?

3) Labels were dumbed down by removing the decades old alpha grades such as NM- because the minus sign was seen as a negative. What does this say about those "collectors" who lobbied for such a ridiculous change?

4) If restoration is detailed on a blue label, with sufficient (as I believe there will be) LARGE text in the grade indicating a restored book, how does this take peoples time scanning a display of CGCd books? It only takes a very short time of "practice" for the eye to pick up those labels.

5) I genuinely feel the purple label discourages knowledge of retorative techniques. People still perceive all books with restoration as Fraken Books. It is a stupid, or to be kind, ignorant perception.

I have been posting huge amounts of restoration information for a few years now and I continue to see the exact same questions about restoration, the exact same questions about pressing, the exact same questions about whatever. Iit is increasingly apparant that there are a number of collectors who don't care enough to learn anything, to seek their own information, to make their own experiments and see the results. But they care enough to harp on a freaking label color.

So, as Louis Armstring said in the 1966 Chicago concert when he forgot the name of the tune The White Hussar...

Huzzah Huaaar!

::clarifcation and - yeah typo edit::

if you can get data that shows that Restored prices have held steady through the inception of CGC, only looking stigmatised comparitive to the insane multiples of guide garnered by HG blue slabs, i think you would really be able to eliminate a large percentage of the "Pro-all blue slabs" contingent's argument

Restored books have been on a steady incline since about 2003, but for the first three years CGC was in business, you couldn't give them away. And both of those are facts that the market bears out.

Restored books have been on a steady incline since about 2003, but for the first three years CGC was in business, you couldn't give them away. And both of those are facts that the market bears out.

when i said "get," i was clearly intending "manufacture."

sorry about any confusion

Sorry why? Confusion is what keeps these discussions going past the first couple of pages. headbang.gif

Sorry why? Confusion is what keeps these discussions going past the first couple of pages. headbang.gif

say....what now? confused.gif

sorry, just kind of going with it. i know these nonsequitur-esque posts drive some folks crazy, but i jest can't help m'self