• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is a Blue label better than a Purple?

307 posts in this topic

Restored books have been on a steady incline since about 2003, but for the first three years CGC was in business, you couldn't give them away. And both of those are facts that the market bears out.

What are you talking about? "Couldn't give them away"? Is that supposed to be "hard data" intended to dismiss my logical claim? screwy.gif

Just go check out some old Sotheby auctions for restored comics, and you'll see that restored book values haven't "dropped off the table" and the majority are where you'd expect them to be in a rational market.

But anyone expecting restored books to keep pace with the CGC Universal 9.4-9.8 insanity has absolutely NO IDEA of what certified grading does to a collectibles market, or the trends that came out with coins and sportscards.

No freaking idea. Christo_pull_hair.gif

For example, did you realize that the big sportscard and coin grading companies WILL NOT EVEN GRADE the item if restoration is detected? Can you imagine what that has done to restored values... and you goofs are complaining about the color of the CGC label. 27_laughing.gif

Restored books have been on a steady incline since about 2003, but for the first three years CGC was in business, you couldn't give them away. And both of those are facts that the market bears out.

What are you talking about? "Couldn't give them away"? Is that supposed to be "hard data" intended to dismiss my logical claim? screwy.gif

Just go check out some old Sotheby auctions for restored comics, and you'll see that restored book values haven't "dropped off the table" and the majority are where you'd expect them to be in a rational market.

But anyone expecting restored books to keep pace with the CGC Universal 9.4-9.8 insanity has absolutely NO IDEA of what certified grading does to a collectibles market, or the trends that came out with coins and sportscards.

No freaking idea. Christo_pull_hair.gif

For example, did you realize that the big sportscard and coin grading companies WILL NOT EVEN GRADE the item if restoration is detected? Can you imagine what that has done to restored values... and you goofs are complaining about the color of the CGC label. 27_laughing.gif

With the exception of the 1992 and 1995 catalogs that are virtually impossible to find, I own every Sotheby's catalog since the very first one in 1991 and am well aware of the selling prices of restored books in those auctions. If you have data to the contrary, let's see it.

am well aware of the selling prices of restored books in those auctions. If you have data to the contrary, let's see it.

So you are saying that the SAME books are selling for less now (assuming CGC didn't hammer down on the Sotheby grade) in a CGC slab? confused-smiley-013.gif

am well aware of the selling prices of restored books in those auctions. If you have data to the contrary, let's see it.

So you are saying that the SAME books are selling for less now (assuming CGC didn't hammer down on the Sotheby grade) in a CGC slab? confused-smiley-013.gif

"Selling for less now?" I am pretty sure I said that restored books have been on an upswing since 2003, but I could be wrong. After all, my words seem so alien to me when I see you trying to recast them.

Jesus Christ you are one obtuse SOB.

Just say what you mean, or shut yer mouth. makepoint.gif

While I'm shutting my mouth, how about I sit here and wait for you to trot out your many Sotheby's catalogs to back up the check your mouth is writing? hi.gif Like I said, if you've got facts, post them. Otherwise, shut yer own mouth. makepoint.gif

popcorn.gif

All I want to do before I die is finally see FFB make a specific point about something. Instead he just reposts gibberish or tells everyone to reread his earlier gibberish.

Take a stand for once and post EXACTLY what the point is.

I realize he's a lawyer, and likes to sidestep, but this "stupid act" is getting tiresome.

popcorn.gif

All I want to do before I die is finally see FFB make a specific point about something. Instead he just reposts gibberish or tells everyone to reread his earlier gibberish.

Take a stand for once and post EXACTLY what the point is.

I realize he's a lawyer, and likes to sidestep, but this "stupid act" is getting tiresome.

Translation: "I don't have any Sotheby's catalogs and am generally full of caca, and this is how I deflect attention away from the fact that I tried to bluff my way through another argument."

P.S. Don't you still owe Shadroch $100 from the last time you did this and got your @ss handed to you? Or is is WAY MORE than $100 at this point when you consider interest owed on the debt?

Translation: "I don't have any Sotheby's catalogs and am generally full of caca, and this is how I deflect attention away from the fact that I tried to bluff my way through another argument."

Hardly, but the day I make a trek to the storage area in the basement at 1 AM, to look for catalogues, old Overstreet's and other auction data, just to fight online with a halfwit like you, will be a dark one indeed.

I am still wondering who's paying you to take part in this stupidity though. A dealer coalition?

Hardly, but the day I make a trek to the storage area in the basement at 1 AM, to look for catalogues, old Overstreet's and other auction data, just to fight online with a halfwit like you, will be a dark one indeed.

I am still wondering who's paying you to take part in this stupidity though. A dealer coalition?

I didn't know you were bilingual! 893whatthe.gifhail.gif

If a *collector* is paying nosebleed prices with the intent of flipping the book for multiples of said nosebleed prices, then guess what?

He's a speculator.

I don't care what he calls himself in the dead of night, you are defined by your actions, and the above is definitely speculator activity.

But thats not what I said. I never said MULTIPLES of what they paid. Nobody paying 50K for a key today expects to sell for multiples except PERHAPS in 5, 10 or 20 years. I only said "for more than they paid". meaning as collectors they know they are paying a lot, but feel confident they will get AT LEAST what they paid out when they sell.

I dont see any evidence of "speculators" callously getting in and out to make a fast buck in a collecting field they kno wnothing about or have any interest in.... except for Parrino.

I just think you thros terms like speculators around too easily.

Hey Pov - - how the helll are ya buddy!?

I dont understand a word you were saying, but I defend to the death your right to say it, doggoneit!

seriously, I dont see whats wrong with a purple label for restored books of any stripe or color, from those with a dot of color touch to a true Frankenbook. Since the world is divided into those who would buy a restored book, and those who would NOT, I dont see a problem with labels that are purple so each member of types can readily see RIGHT UPFRONT the difference to make shopping easier.

you know, scanning a line up of slabbed books: "Interested, need it, want it, looks good, no thanx!, etc etc "

I dont see any evidence of "speculators" callously getting in and out to make a fast buck in a collecting field they kno wnothing about or have any interest in.... except for Parrino.

Who cares if you have an interest or knowledge of said hobby? Did it really matter that the sportscard speculators might have liked baseball or if a coinee submitter used to collect Buffalo nickels as a kid?

Here's a standard definition for a speculator:

One who attempts to anticipate price changes and, through buying and selling, intends to make profits.

At the end of the day, it comes down to intent. Are you buying comics to own and enjoy them, or are you primarily interested in resale value, and potential profits? That's what separates a speculator from a collector.

5) I genuinely feel the purple label discourages knowledge of retorative techniques. People still perceive all books with restoration as Fraken Books. It is a stupid, or to be kind, ignorant perception.

I have been posting huge amounts of restoration information for a few years now and I continue to see the exact same questions about restoration, the exact same questions about pressing, the exact same questions about whatever. It is increasingly apparant that there are a number of collectors who don't care enough to learn anything, to seek their own information, to make their own experiments and see the results. But they care enough to harp on a freaking label color.

893applaud-thumb.gif

While CGC made comic collecting "safe," they also made it "easy" for many. That is, some comic buyers let CGC do all the thinking for them. They don't feel the need to educate themselves because -- in their world -- all they need to know is, "Blue = Good, Purple = Bad."

frown.gif

While CGC made comic collecting "safe," they also made it "easy" for many. That is, some comic buyers let CGC do all the thinking for them. They don't feel the need to educate themselves because -- in their world -- all they need to know is, "Blue = Good, Purple = Bad."

Getting past your "Good/Bad analogy", which is extreme and really a personal opinion, wasn't making comic grading "easy" for collectors a major part of CGC's allure?

Why use the service if you can do all the legwork yourself?

Jim

While CGC made comic collecting "safe," they also made it "easy" for many.

What's wrong with easy? You use it like making things easier for the end consumer is somehow a *bad* thing. screwy.gif

Oh well, you'd better get off your PC and churn the butter, milk the cows and drive the horse and wagon into town.

5) I genuinely feel the purple label discourages knowledge of retorative techniques. People still perceive all books with restoration as Fraken Books. It is a stupid, or to be kind, ignorant perception.

I have been posting huge amounts of restoration information for a few years now and I continue to see the exact same questions about restoration, the exact same questions about pressing, the exact same questions about whatever. It is increasingly apparant that there are a number of collectors who don't care enough to learn anything, to seek their own information, to make their own experiments and see the results. But they care enough to harp on a freaking label color.

893applaud-thumb.gif

frown.gif

careful, there. you're getting mighty close to the "GCG is great for the Sales Community, but not for the Collecting Community" saw.

honestly, for serious collectors, the colour of the label means ****-all. buy the BOOK, not the LABEL.

but for someone wanting to make a few bucks, the label is EVERYTHING.

sorry, but i'm more in the former group. i don't begrudge the latter, but sorry if i'm going to think about collectors first in this whole argument

While CGC made comic collecting "safe," they also made it "easy" for many.

What's wrong with easy? You use it like making things easier for the end consumer is somehow a *bad* thing. screwy.gif

There is nothing wrong with "easy" per se... But, "easy" is what attracted so many of the "specu-investors" you disdain. That is, people that wouldn't know a Fine+ from a NM unless they have a label to confirm it. People that put zero effort into learning about restoration and instead rely on CGC to do ALL the thinking for them.

It you weren't such a contrarian jack-off, you'd realize I was actually supporting some of what you've written. screwy.gif

Now, clear away the empty egg cartons, milk shake cups and coffee cake boxes, heave yourself from the chair, and go take the medication that is the last firewall between you and the cold embrace of the grave. poke2.gifflowerred.gif

Now, clear away the empty egg cartons, milk shake cups and coffee cake boxes, heave yourself from the chair, and go take the medication that is the last firewall between you and the cold embrace of the grave.

I think you're the one in need of medication. screwy.gif