• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 1 CGC 9.4!!!!
6 6

844 posts in this topic

You don’t clean a comic book to conserve it,  you clean it to make it look better... aka Restoration!

Likewise...

You don’t color touch a comic book to conserve it,  you add color to it to make it look better... aka Restoration!

Edited by Timely
Err

13 minutes ago, Timely said:

When you chemically clean a comic book you are fundamentally changing the physical composition of the paper on a microscopic level. The sizing that is put on the paper from being manufactured is stripped away. Pressing with heat and moisture do none of that.

(thumbsu

21 minutes ago, Timely said:

You don’t clean a comic book to conserve it,  you clean it to make it look better... aka Restoration!

Likewise...

You don’t color touch a comic book to conserve it,  you clean it to make it look better... aka Restoration!

You don't press a comic book to conserve it, you press it to make it look better.......aka Universal!  :devil:

4 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I mean presumably, but I still think there’s a chance it could be defects not easily seen by the naked eye. I’ve seen it happen before many times, missed defects on the grader notes could have shown. 

Well, all I can say to this is that if it's due to defects that cannot be easily seen by the naked eye even with the use of enlarged detailed scans and instead, you need to refer to the Graders Notes to even identify them, then should it really hammer the grade down by 4 full increments?  hm  (shrug)

I can think of other much more readily visual defects than these near invisible defects which seems to be #1 with a bullet right at the top of CGC's grading hit parade.  :screwy:

Edited by lou_fine

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, all I can say to this is that if it's due to defects that cannot be easily seen by the naked eye even with the use of enlarged detailed scans and instead, you need to refer to the Graders Notes to even identify them, then should it really hammer the grade down by 4 full increments?  hm  (shrug)

I can think of other much more readily visual defects than these near invisible defects which seems to be #1 with a bullet right at the top of CGC's grading hit parade.  :screwy:

Yeah I mean unfortunately there’s no proof I can put forth in this conversation, and as far as that book goes since I’ll never have those graders notes. I just think it’s easy to assume every book that bumps is because CGC got it wrong at some point. The eye test I totally get and don’t necessarily doubt you. I just know sometimes the eye can miss things that grader notes caught.

22 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

Somewhere I do, I'll have to dig them out. This one is fun, no megas, but everything is high grade. The three I'm holding are (now) highest graded Green Giant #1, Pay Copy Silver Streak #1, and Allentown Wonder Comics #1. Some of the books on the table include Church Green Hornet #1, file copy A-Man #5, file copy DD Battles Hitler, and highest graded Wonder Woman #1. I know the Journey 83 became a 9.4, and the Astonish 27 got a 9.0.

20201228_040459.jpg

The white on that Daredevil 1 looks brand new! 

Love these old pictures! 

32 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

Somewhere I do, I'll have to dig them out. This one is fun, no megas, but everything is high grade. The three I'm holding are (now) highest graded Green Giant #1, Pay Copy Silver Streak #1, and Allentown Wonder Comics #1. Some of the books on the table include Church Green Hornet #1, file copy A-Man #5, file copy DD Battles Hitler, and highest graded Wonder Woman #1. I know the Journey 83 became a 9.4, and the Astonish 27 got a 9.0.

20201228_040459.jpg

Yes, please give us the scoop on the New Fun 2 as that's supposedly the rarest DC book out there.  :cloud9:  :takeit:

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, please give us the scoop on the New Fun 2 as that's supposedly the rarest DC book out there.  :cloud9:  :takeit:

lol good eye. Not much of a scoop, but that copy was a solid Fine or better unrestored. Easily the nicest one I've had (and yes, I've had more than two)

2 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

20201228_040459.jpg

awesome pic ! pls post more if you can find some ...

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

You don't press a comic book to conserve it, you press it to make it look better.......aka Universal!  :devil:

Yes, but you are adding nothing to the comic that isn’t already found naturally, heat and moisture, you are just doing it in a controlled environment!

6 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

20201228_040459.jpg

Wow you where the man back than and did not know it. Thanks. 

11 hours ago, Timely said:

Likewise...

You don’t color touch a comic book to conserve it,  you add color to it to make it look better... aka Restoration!

Would the same logic apply to pressing?

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Would the same logic apply to pressing?

No, you are not altering the comic book's chemical composition by pressing.

Pressing removed bends.

When you open up a comic, you bend it. When you close the comic book, you bend it.  Does bending a comic constitute restoration or conservation? Of course not! Pressing bends the book back to it's natural state using heat & moisture...much like living in Florida! lol

Ok go with me here, I have a comparison I’d like to throw out. People always love to compare comic book restoration to other collectible industries, like cars. So I guess, if a car is dirty, you use water to clean it and essentially bring it back to its original form and at the end of say a gas station car wash, they heat dry the car with the big blower. So pressing/cleaning a book using heat and moisture is no different than cleaning a car. Cleaning a car isn’t considered restoration, and so neither is pressing and dry cleaning.

BOOM!

2 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Ok go with me here, I have a comparison I’d like to throw out. People always love to compare comic book restoration to other collectible industries, like cars. So I guess, if a car is dirty, you use water to clean it and essentially bring it back to its original form and at the end of say a gas station car wash, they heat dry the car with the big blower. So pressing/cleaning a book using heat and moisture is no different than cleaning a car. Cleaning a car isn’t considered restoration, and so neither is pressing and dry cleaning.

BOOM!

I tend to agree that cleaning a comic isn't restoration. I've cleaned covers with a simple tissue to remove a little dust build up or crud many times, I don't feel I restored the books. I do believe that with coins cleaning is a big no no. 

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

Even if you wanted to consider pressing resto. there’s not a single person out there that can detect for 100% that a books been pressed all the time so what’s the point. 

what is the point of pressing a GA/SA comic book...to "game" the grading system and get the grade pumped up on steroids. The comic book was not created to be pressed, page enhanced...unrestored should be just that.... restoration to newsstand condition by pressing...and grade enhancing...its a shame, the real 9.8 untouched gets to be lumped in with a jacked up GA/SA comic dilute the true Ga/SA census and true Ga/SA comic book value.