• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 1 CGC 9.4!!!!
6 6

844 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

As we know, rarity doesn't always equal higher price. Vs a 6.0 Tec 27, I easily take this Bat 1 (remember there are more graded 6.5s than any other grade for Tec 27), the choice is a little tougher at 7.0, but for sure the recent 7.0 has reached it's maximum potential grade-wise. the 9.0 that is now a 9.2 I think has reached it's max, and clearly this Bat 1 is much superior. The remaining 9.0 might have some upwards potential, but it most likely will not reach the grade of this one. There is a lot to be said for the highest graded Bat 1, whether it has been maximized or not. I fully believe it will at least equal the sale of the 7.0 Detective 27. I think there is ample historical evidence that high grade Bat 1s consistently beat mid-grade (as in 4.5-6.0) Tec 27s in price, and the bump for this being the single highest graded will propel it past the 7.0 price.

Yeah I mean 18 days left and already at 1.1 mil. I don’t think the Tec 27 7.0 was even tracking at that pace. Now that’s not to say it could be tapped out here, only bump up a little or the fact it’s outpacing the Tec 27 doesn’t really mean anything. Just have to point it out though. But I agree it’s a special book, resubbed or not.

Edited by LDarkseid1

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

I posted this before but I'll do so again. If I could choose between the Tec27 7.0 or Batman1 9.4 (knowing it is the single best copy in existence), I'd take the Batman1

I would have to second that...for one reason only WHITE PAGES and highest grade...it is a GA comic book in a class by itself...now the 8.0 #27 tough call...but this 9.4 looks very very sharp

1 minute ago, Mmehdy said:

I would have to second that...for one reason only WHITE PAGES and highest grade...it is a GA comic book in a class by itself...now the 8.0 #27 tough call...but this 9.4 looks very very sharp

White pages don't last forever 30 years from now bet you they are not white :popcorn:

1 hour ago, woowoo said:

Peter Batman 1 is like Fantasy 15 every auction all the time (shrug) Tec 27 much better book IMO :whistle:

Lets not forget the last Action 1 was up over I think 1 million dollars from the last 9.0 because of the WHITE pages which were shown on the video...I do not think you can underestimate the value of white pages that elevates the Bat #1 over #27

3 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

Lets not forget the last Action 1 was up over I think 1 million dollars from the last 9.0 because of the WHITE pages which were shown on the video...I do not think you can underestimate the value of white pages that elevates the Bat #1 over #27

CGC Certification Verification (cgccomics.com)

3 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

As we know, rarity doesn't always equal higher price. Vs a 6.0 Tec 27, I easily take this Bat 1 (remember there are more graded 6.5s than any other grade for Tec 27), the choice is a little tougher at 7.0, but for sure the recent 7.0 has reached it's maximum potential grade-wise. the 9.0 that is now a 9.2 I think has reached it's max, and clearly this Bat 1 is much superior. The remaining 9.0 might have some upwards potential, but it most likely will not reach the grade of this one. There is a lot to be said for the highest graded Bat 1, whether it has been maximized or not. I fully believe it will at least equal the sale of the 7.0 Detective 27. I think there is ample historical evidence that high grade Bat 1s consistently beat mid-grade (as in 4.5-6.0) Tec 27s in price, and the bump for this being the single highest graded will propel it past the 7.0 price.

I agree with all that. My guess this Bat 1 will hammer at 2.3 to 2.4 million. My statement about how a Tec 27 from about 6.0 up should be at least as "valuable" as this 9.4 Bat 1 was based mainly on personal feelings not only because 27 is the 1st Batman but because to me very high grade isn't that important, even if it is the highest graded. I know the market doesn't usually feel the same. I would personally rather see the Rockford 6.0 or the recent 7.0 hanging on my living room wall then this 9.4 . But I know the 9.4 will probably blow away both of them as far as price goes.

Edited by Professor Chaos

22 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

I agree with all that. My guess this Bat 1 will hammer at 2.3 to 2.4 million. My statement about how a Tec 27 from about 6.0 up should be at least as "valuable" as this 9.4 Bat 1 was based mainly on personal feelings not only because 27 is the 1st Batman but because to me very high grade isn't that important, even if it is the highest graded. I know the market doesn't usually feel the same. I would personally rather see the Rockford 6.0 or the recent 7.0 hanging on my living room wall then this 9.4 . But I know the 9.4 will probably blow away both of them as far as price goes.

:makepoint:

9 hours ago, woowoo said:

This book will not pass the Detective 27 last sale.............................................................................................. it was a 9.0 so the other 2 9.0's will be getting an upgrade. How many times did John Verzyl resub his All American 16 and Cap 1 to get a higher grade Think the All American was 3 or 4 times to get the 9.4. I don't know how many times it took for his Cap 1 to get 9.8 but it was not the first shot to get that grade. All the key books are getting resub for higher grades and i bet it's just starting.

It's call paying your dues as both sides need to scratch each other's back in they want to get into the money.  :devil:

How many times did it take Scmell to resub that 9.6 graded copy of X-Men 1 before he was finally able to get that 9.8 from CGC.  Apparently, it took a lot of complaints and lobbying from Veryzl before he finally managed to get that 9.8 for his Cap 1.  :blahblah:  :blahblah:

8 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I agree, resubmit is the game...

Yes indeed, as their grading standards have devolved over time to ensure that resubs, CPR, and other forms of undisclosed manipulative practices are built in as additional streams of revenue, which I am sure was part of their business model from very early on.  hm  :censored:

Sad to say, but the grading game has reached the point that if you don't play by their rules of the game, there's no point to even think of sending in your books for grading, unless you are willing to live with some punishment grades.  :mad:  :censored:

30 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Sad to say, but the grading game has reached the point that if you don't play by their rules of the game, there's no point to even think of sending in your books for grading, unless you are willing to live with some punishment grades.  :mad:  :censored:

Well put. I haven't sent any books in for that basic reason. I love the books a lot more than I love money. If the book falls in my eye appeal wheel house, that's all I care about.

5 hours ago, woowoo said:

The cap 1 from what i understand went from 8.0 to 9.0 to 9.4 than 9.8.

You're getting your books mixed up and then merging them into one. 

The 9.4 Captain America 1 and the 9.8 Captain America are different books.

The 9.8 Captain America is the Allentown copy.  As far as I know, it received a 9.6 on initial submission to CGC.  Verzyl obviously did resub it to get a 9.8, but how many times I don't know.

The 9.4 Captain America that you're referring to is the copy that came up on Heritage recently.  It was indeed a resub.  I've already blanked out its complete resub history from my mind, but it's all described in a thread in the GA Forum.  In any event, it is still a 9.4 as far as I know and definitely has not been resubbed into a 9.8.    

Edited by tth2

8 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Yes you would think that anyone bidding would know the history of this book and others close to it as well. We have seen what the "highest graded copy" aspect does to people. Makes them crazy. The lure of the right to say "I have the best copy in the world" seems to be a powerful thing nowadays.

Although you might be right in most cases, it's not a guaranteed win, especially if the history of the book is easily traceable and you are trying to do a quick flip on the upgraded resub.  hm  (shrug)

Perfect case in point, being this now tied for highest graded copy of Action Comics 13 in CGC 9.2 which managed to fetch only $166K in a CC Event Auction at the end of last year:

act1.15402a.jpg

Any bets that the consignor lost money on the book rather big time considering that it cost them $156K only a short year earlier when it was slabbed as CGC 9.0 graded copy.  :tonofbricks:

I am sure that was probably the primary reason why bidders held back on their bids since they knew the book was a resub, and as a result, didn't even get close to the CGC 9.2 graded Atlantic City Copy which managed to fetch $185K in a CC Auction way back in 2011 when the top of guide valuation on the book was at only $30K.  :whatthe:

6 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

the 9.0 that is now a 9.2 I think has reached it's max, and clearly this Bat 1 is much superior. The remaining 9.0 might have some upwards potential, but it most likely will not reach the grade of this one.

Based upon your experience with some of these books in question here, I assume you must be setting these threshold limits with some specific defects in mind.  (thumbsu

If not, then who's to really say as have we not seen some superior looking CGC 9.0 graded copies of GA books move up quite a few grade increments and even right into the sweet spot as a CGC 9.8 graded copy?  hm (shrug)