• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 1 CGC 9.4!!!!
6 6

844 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

You're getting your books mixed up and then merging them into one. 

The 9.4 Captain America 1 and the 9.8 Captain America are different books.

The 9.8 Captain America is the Allentown copy.  As far as I know, it received a 9.6 on initial submission to CGC.  Verzyl obviously did resub it to get a 9.8, but how many times I don't know.

The 9.4 Captain America that you're referring to is the copy that came up on Heritage recently.  It was indeed a resub.  I've already blanked out its complete resub history from my mind, but it's all described in a thread in the GA Forum.  In any event, it is still a 9.4 as far as I know and definitely has not been resubbed into a 9.8.    

Don't know what grade the Verzyl Cap 1 was but heard it took couple of  try's to get 9.8.

The All American 16 took 3 try's to get 9.4. That is the way i remember it years ago. I could be wrong.

I was always referring to the Allentown copy  with all the resubs going on i could have got a lot wrong (shrug)

15 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Don't know what grade the Verzyl Cap 1 was but heard it took couple of  try's to get 9.8.

The All American 16 took 3 try's to get 9.4. That is the way i remember it years ago. I could be wrong.

I was always referring to the Allentown copy  with all the resubs going on i could have got a lot wrong (shrug)

Ah yes....................you must be referring to this post by @Timely here (hit the arrow at the top right of the link below) from the Cap 1 9.4 thread:

On 5/24/2019 at 5:21 AM, Timely said:

So here's the deal with the Denver & Allentown copies of Cap #1.

John Verzyl owned the Denver copy for decades.  When the Allentown copy became available he went to see it.  It was far nicer than the Denver, so John being John & wanting the best copy, he took the plunge. The Mile High copy had been restored so he had no interest in it.

He felt the Denver was an 8.5 or possibly a 9.0.  He was over the moon when it graded out a 9.0 & he sold it to help cover the cost of the Allentown purchase.  It was then pressed to a 9.2.  It was then regraded a 3rd time as a 9.4 (not sure if it was pressed again). John was upset about this for 2 reasons.

1st, it's obviously worth way more as a 9.2 or 9.4 than it was as a 9.0 when he sold it.

2nd, he felt the Allentown was FAR superior to the Denver, but the Denver was now a 9.4 & his Allentown a 9.6. 

But, John being John, took these lemons & made lemonade.  He went to cgc and argued his case explaining how superior the Allentown was.  It was then regraded a 9.8.

That's the story John told me.

Sounds like a lot of whining and lobbying by John that paid off in the end if this story is correct.  (thumbsu

10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

He felt the Denver was an 8.5 or possibly a 9.0.  He was over the moon when it graded out a 9.0 & he sold it to help cover the cost of the Allentown purchase.  It was then pressed to a 9.2.  It was then regraded a 3rd time as a 9.4 (not sure if it was pressed again). John was upset about this for 2 reasons.

1st, it's obviously worth way more as a 9.2 or 9.4 than it was as a 9.0 when he sold it.

2nd, he felt the Allentown was FAR superior to the Denver, but the Denver was now a 9.4 & his Allentown a 9.6. 

But, John being John, took these lemons & made lemonade.  He went to cgc and argued his case explaining how superior the Allentown was.  It was then regraded a 9.8.

That's the story John told me.

love the hobby

also ... the whining, the lobbying ... love that part too !

Edited by Gotham Kid

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Ah yes....................you must be referring to this post by @Timely here (hit the arrow at the top right of the link below) from the Cap 1 9.4 thread:

Sounds like a lot of whining and lobbying by John that paid off in the end if this story is correct.  (thumbsu

Yes that was it now i can go to sleep TY even tho you are mean some times :baiting:lol

8 hours ago, woowoo said:

Peter Batman 1 is like Fantasy 15 every auction all the time (shrug) Tec 27 much better book IMO :whistle:

You start going down that path, then you start saying things like no copy of Spider-man #22 should ever be worth as much as a complete 1.8/2.0 copy of Fantasy 15, yet that's exactly what would happen if one of the 9.8 copies of #22 would come up for sale (or to keep it Bats-centric, no copy of Batman #181 should ever be worth as much as a 1.8/2.0 copy of Batman #1, and yet...)

Historically, high grade copies of Batman #1 have equaled mid-grade copies of Tec 27, and there should be a premium for the highest graded one. Regardless if it was cracked and resubbed, we have seen the other two 9.0 copies side by side and this is clearly the superior copy.

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

You can whine and lobby your way to a higher grade?! Man I’ve been doing it wrong the last 8 years 🤦‍♂️.

9 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Historically, high grade copies of Batman #1 have equaled mid-grade copies of Tec 27, and there should be a premium for the highest graded one. Regardless if it was cracked and resubbed, we have seen the other two 9.0 copies side by side and this is clearly the superior copy.

I think you are wrong let Heritage do a scan of the other 9.0 and i think you get a better copy hm The 9.4 is not centered great the top is cut off real close and chip missing bottom red. The other 9.0 is perfect. The white pages is the main thing and i have seen off white to white change to WHITE if i am not wrong the White copy of Action 1 that  Darren Adams had regraded was off white to white than changed to white after the resub( Not positive on this ) But i have seen the page change on other Golden age books. I say a press to get the 9.0 strait and Heritage scan and ^^. I just think the 9.0 would give it a good race but the 9.4 is Amazing BUT not clearly the superior copy the way things change after every high grade sale just saying.

Batman-1......jpg

Batman-1.....jpg

10 hours ago, woowoo said:

CA1(96ow)allentown-$260k(John Versyl).jpg

The 9.4 is miscut, points of the ears missing.

Automatic disqualification from best ever copy.

Also don't trust the page designation, I see brown peeking out the top right.

Maybe that's just the edges.  If the label says white pages, they better be white for this money.

Edited by vheflin

12 minutes ago, vheflin said:

The 9.4 is miscut, points of the ears missing.

Automatic disqualification from best ever copy.

Also don't trust the page designation, I see brown peeking out the top right.

Maybe that's just the edges.  If the label says white pages, they better be white for this money.

I never seen that till now but looks to be a little brown. I have had few Batman # 7 to some 30s  and Detectives in the 80s that the inside covers have got real brown over the years vs Detective more-fun Adventures 1937-39 stay white (shrug)

1 hour ago, woowoo said:

I think you are wrong let Heritage do a scan of the other 9.0 and i think you get a better copy hm The 9.4 is not centered great the top is cut off real close and chip missing bottom red. The other 9.0 is perfect. The white pages is the main thing and i have seen off white to white change to WHITE if i am not wrong the White copy of Action 1 that  Darren Adams had regraded was off white to white than changed to white after the resub( Not positive on this ) But i have seen the page change on other Golden age books. I say a press to get the 9.0 strait and Heritage scan and ^^. I just think the 9.0 would give it a good race but the 9.4 is Amazing BUT not clearly the superior copy the way things change after every high grade sale just saying.

Batman-1......jpg

Batman-1.....jpg

You know, you could actually be dead right about this, with the biggest problem being the misaligned spine which just might be "fixable".  Definitely not miscut like the 9.4 copy and the PQ even appears to be nicer from the slivers that are visible.  hm

In fact, if you pay your dues owing to the CCG owners a few more times, you could probably even get both of these copies sitting in a CGC 9.6 slab before you know it.  :devil:

1 hour ago, woowoo said:

Batman-1......jpg

Batman-1.....jpg

great comparison here, clearly the 9.0 printing wise is a superior copy or example of a batman 1 "top" cover wise..however I noticed it was  on the right corner of the 9.0 it was showing inside contents so, I would rather have the cover completely cover the book's interior and I think the 9.4 overall is a superior copy even if pressed I doubt it would get higher than a 9.2 or double pressed due to that defect.

Edited by Mmehdy

21 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

great comparison here, clearly the 9.0 printing wise is a superior copy or example of a batman 1 "top" cover wise..however I noticed it was  on the right corner of the 9.0 it was showing inside contents so, I would rather have the cover completely cover the book's interior and I think the 9.4 overall is a superior copy even if pressed I doubt it would get higher than a 9.2 or double pressed due to that defect.

@Mmehdy you forgot the triple press ( I am not kidding money to be made ) :facepalm:

2 hours ago, woowoo said:

I think you are wrong let Heritage do a scan of the other 9.0 and i think you get a better copy hm The 9.4 is not centered great the top is cut off real close and chip missing bottom red. The other 9.0 is perfect.

Perfect? So the round bottom right corner with the white spot doesn't bother you or the small split at the top of the spine? It's a great book, and I think it will also bring $1 million plus when it comes to market (and I also believe superior to the 9.2).

But no, the "missing" batman ear tops don't bother me, just like the missing "Kane" didn't seem to bother the winner of the Tec 27 last month (or the winner of the 8.0 when it hit a million a decade ago).