• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The essential difference between SA DC and Marvel in a nutshell.
1 1

111 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, tvindy said:
18 hours ago, Bookery said:

It wouldn't be a fair fight.  I've heard that Richie's father buys off the judges.

Well, maybe, but death is pretty definitive. I mean, I guess the judges could claim that Richie's death doesn't count due to a technicality, but he's still dead. (shrug)

Except that there is no death in the Marvel universe.  Nobody ever stays dead.  And as for the Harvey universe... with all of the ghosts, witches, devils, and medieval giants running around, I'm guessing there's not much dying (or staying dead) there either!  But-- still not a fair fight.  Wolvie's only 46 years old, while poor Richie went on Medicare a couple of years back.

20 hours ago, kav said:

Kirby also could not draw the same costume twice unless it was one of the main established characters.  Thats why odin for example always had different outfilts.  Here's Hela from Thor 150-in every single panle her outfit is different:
Thor (1966) issue 150 - Page 4    

Thor (1966) issue 150 - Page 1

Thor (1966) issue 150 - Page 9

Maybe it was like rorschach's mask and changes to freak people out.

4 minutes ago, Toz said:

Maybe it was like rorschach's mask and changes to freak people out.

That's a great idea for an underworld goddess !

Edited by Ken Aldred

19 hours ago, kav said:

Also his dialogue may be goofy but I love it-think of it as poetry.

I interpret a lot of his over-the-top dialogue as bombastic metal lyrics.  As a metal fan, for me, that's a very strong positive.

12 hours ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

image.jpeg.4ae4d277b3ccef5d4a5be9cb2d619d54.jpeg

Um .... yeah . Killer example of figure drawing 

You should have a look at Wayne Boring's even chunkier version of SA Superman.

11 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

You should have a look at Wayne Boring's even chunkier version of SA Superman.

Someone should have pulled ol Wayne aside and said bluh why you drawing clark kent glasses on side of nose bluh?

Screenshot 2020-12-01 at 5.19.36 PM.png

21 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

More importantly - who needs glasses ? I mean even DiCaprio doesn’t wear them image.jpeg.4a75f8abc8e27b3d7fea56c47b620f04.jpeg

Do not get MRI.

12 minutes ago, kav said:

Do not get MRI.

Oh Snap, Crackle and Pop! Ouch I didn't think about that

My step dad is a mechanic and had neck surgery, I'm sure he had to have an MRI, I'll have to ask if that was hard :)

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Oh Snap, Crackle and Pop! Ouch I didn't think about that

My step dad is a mechanic and had neck surgery, I'm sure he had to have an MRI, I'll have to ask if that was hard :)

Tell him he can take the freeway down!!  
Santa says.

On 11/30/2020 at 4:45 PM, Phicks said:

I admit some of the DC guys could properly render ordinary things.  But super heroes should look extraordinary.  There is just no comparison.

Most silver age DC books were fairly consistent in terms of the art until Neal Adams and others started arriving in the mid to late 60’s. Now, when people compare the artwork between Marvel and DC, there’s a tendency I think to compare the seemingly static DC stuff to Kirby’s FF run from #48 onward or his Mangog saga in Thor. Thing is, all Kirby and all Marvel wasn’t created equally. That early Don Heck on Thor or Tuska’s Avengers was downright mediocre at best. Some of it looked like layouts, not finished work. I’ll take Swan over those two or Larry Lieber every time. And the Chic Stone inked early Kirby barely hinted at the Kirby/Sinnott stuff we came to marvel over later on. Apples to apples n all... B|