• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sending a 9.8 to be signed.
3 3

14 posts in this topic

Hello, 

Was very lucky to get a Venom #3 18 months back at a good price. Sent it off to be graded and very happy with a 9.8. 

Now thinking of sending it back to get signed by Cates and Co. 

Whats the chance i send the 9 8 and it gets signed and regraded as a 9.6

Has is ever happened to anyone else? 

Thanks.

24 minutes ago, Gavin Rowlands said:

Hello, 

Was very lucky to get a Venom #3 18 months back at a good price. Sent it off to be graded and very happy with a 9.8. 

Now thinking of sending it back to get signed by Cates and Co. 

Has is ever happened to anyone else? 

Thanks.

The chance is "good". It'll be handled multiple times. I think many people would suggest having it pressed after signing if you're really hellbent on it maintaining a 9.8 grade.

I agree with those above.  Don't touch that 9.8!

Get a 9.6, or the nicest raw copy you can find, and have it signed.  The signature adds a certain value to the comic, probably a similar amount if added to a 9.6 or a 9.8. 

To risk your 9.8 grade is high stakes.  You are probably gambling more on the downside than the signature will bring on the upside.  You don't want to be in that position. 

You could end up with a signed 9.6, worth less than an unsigned 9.8.  And have to PAY money to get there (signing fee, re-grading, admin fee, shipping both ways, etc.).

I had exactly this happen to me: 9.8 become a 9.6

The real kick in the nuts is how it happened. I brought a 9.8 Catwoman 51 (the LOST / mugshot cover) to a show for Adam Hughes to sign, and get it CGC witnessed. So.....AH is situated right next to the CGC booth. They're kinda at a lull, with no one asking for help, and Adam is free, with no one behind me; there are NO LINES.   I ask the CGC people to crack the slab, so I can get it signed. CGC cracks their own slab, I hand the book to Adam, he signs, I turn and hand it back, for re-grading. No muss no fuss.

Comes back SS 9.6

My advice? You can take your chances by cracking it. Might be fine. But it is a 9.8 right now. If it is just for you....why not have the slab itself signed w/ Sharpie, or paint pen, and show that puppy off? Get a picture with it, too, with the signer!

I also had a 9.4 Spidey book (facilitated) come back as a SS 8.0  *THAT* *HURT*, even if it had Stan Lee on the front.

On 12/3/2020 at 12:28 PM, Gavin Rowlands said:

It's been happening so much that CGC now has a BIG RED DISCLAIMER saying it can happen as soon as you start the submission process. If you are ok with it coming back 9.6 then go ahead. if you're not, then don't. Simple as that.

4 hours ago, 956Ref said:

I had a sealed 9.2 Batman 232 sent in for signing with Neal Adams...came back a 9.0. Was surprised because it was old label and had a couple pressable defects.

Further proof that using old labels for CPR is not always a slam dunk.

That aside, I am sorry to hear this story 956 and that book sounds incredible.

21 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Further proof that using old labels for CPR is not always a slam dunk.

That aside, I am sorry to hear this story 956 and that book sounds incredible.

Yup,

If im being honest I am 0/4 Old Label CPR. The others are...

9.6 ASM 361 to 9.4

9.4 Crow 1 to 9.2

6.5 FF9 to 6.0

All were in the same submission so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Both CPR by a very respected presser on the boards too. So I think I may be done with CPRs for awhile.

1 hour ago, 956Ref said:

Yup,

If im being honest I am 0/4 Old Label CPR. The others are...

9.6 ASM 361 to 9.4

9.4 Crow 1 to 9.2

6.5 FF9 to 6.0

All were in the same submission so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Both CPR by a very respected presser on the boards too. So I think I may be done with CPRs for awhile.

Thanks for giving further proof. And I'm glad we are talking about it because there is a rebuttal I had for a while that I never got to write.

The evidence brought forth for the fact that CGC graded harsher back in the day and that CPR with old labels is the way to go is that "there are very little old slabs still around". 

That in itself does not confirm anything. All that confirms is that people think it is a viable strategy and are willing to take the bet, like you did (there are now 4 less older slabs out there after you tried that strategy). That's all it means. It is not at all indicative of the result. And the results have been all over the place. Some have gotten better, some worse, some the same. But the big stories that people remember are the ones where it got better. And for those, all else being equal, it is just as or more likely that the reason for the grade bump was due to pressing a slabbed comic that wasn't pressed before rather than the grading standards themselves having loosened.

And, @956Ref, of the ones you tried it with, the one that puzzles me is FF 9. The market value for that book in the midgrade range doesn't offer much reward for a CPR even if you got a slight bump in the grade, so why the attempt?

Edited by William-James88

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

And, @956Ref, of the ones you tried it with, the one that puzzles me is FF 9. The market value for that book in the midgrade range doesn't offer much reward for a CPR even if you got a slight bump in the grade, so why the attempt?

Because a 7.0 looks better than a 6.5 and I was chasing a moral victory more than the dollars.:makepoint: The case also had a crack in it, so Instead of just recase it, I figured lets CPR it. If it had been a new cracked case I would have just recased it without a CPR attempt.

7 hours ago, 956Ref said:

Because a 7.0 looks better than a 6.5 and I was chasing a moral victory more than the dollars.:makepoint: The case also had a crack in it, so Instead of just recase it, I figured lets CPR it. If it had been a new cracked case I would have just recased it without a CPR attempt.

I'm not judging. Was just curious because that comic felt like the odd man out but your reason us as good as any. 

Cheers!