• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Massive Postal Delays
7 7

360 posts in this topic

USPS has been real good for me. I have even had the mail man ring my door bell at 9:00 at night to deliver to me. No major delays. 

FedEx, that I have never used is amazing. I sent a large, heavy box of presents to my daughter in Las Vegas from CA. I shipped it Sat. Was told delivery would be this Friday and she got it safely this morning in great shape. Best of all, it was a very large box weighing over 25 pounds. Cost? $25. I am now going to be a loyal customer. 

UPS... Never been a fan. Just poor service. I am still waiting for a package that was tracked for delivery since Sat. Still don’t have it. Plus, they just dump and run. Don’t even ring the door bell. 

Glad some of you are getting things through.  I agree that USPS is great in general.  I've personally never had a package lost, and I prefer them to UPS and Fedex except for very heavy packages.

Still, I'd strongly advise against sending anything now.  I have no fewer than 20 packages currently in total limbo, including a few that were shipped from PA (to New Jersey) and have ended up in completely different and out of the way states, like Virginia, Florida, and Texas.  Have at least 10 other packages, incoming and outgoing, where the last update was December 1st.  It is absolutely out of control, at least shipping to or from New Jersey. 

6 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

Glad some of you are getting things through.  I agree that USPS is great in general.  I've personally never had a package lost, and I prefer them to UPS and Fedex except for very heavy packages.

Still, I'd strongly advise against sending anything now.  I have no fewer than 20 packages currently in total limbo, including a few that were shipped from PA (to New Jersey) and have ended up in completely different and out of the way states, like Virginia, Florida, and Texas.  Have at least 10 other packages, incoming and outgoing, where the last update was December 1st.  It is absolutely out of control, at least shipping to or from New Jersey. 

Yeah, I saw that and read the article. People are having to hand sort mail now. I really feel for those folks. I gave up selling or buying through the mail a few weeks ago. Any Christmas presents will be bought in person not online at this point. 

My daughter sent something to her mom. Was sent UPS. Was due last Friday. Still don’t have it. She tells me now it was transferred to USPS! Not feeling very positive about it. 

I have a Priority Mail package that had its last update on November 22nd.  I track it every few days just to confirm that it's still there.  Today it changed to "Additional actions required, please contact USPS."  So I called them.  Two hours on hold.  The guy answered and said 'don't worry it's coming just hang on.'  And I said 'alright I mean I know everything is messed up right now (though a month delay on priority mail seems extreme) but it told me to call.'  He said 'forget that just keep waiting.'

Fair enough.

4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

https://www.facebook.com/abby.hite/posts/205092157778383

Someone reposted this in a vintage toy group on FB ... here is the  link to the original poster though. 1163873977_ScreenShot2020-12-16at3_05_21PM.thumb.png.0feab2f86f867750dc9cc8d399c01ab1.png131327966_205091004445165_6477451237702710278_n.jpg.92ece52322a730b91cf869550e29c8b8.jpg131307092_205091017778497_4561305588360494094_n.thumb.jpg.fc3c709e222db9cf3bf18cedf2cd472e.jpg

These are even better.  I especially like the diagonal shot that really sucks you into the vortex of flailing packages.

2 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

These are even better.  I especially like the diagonal shot that really sucks you into the vortex of flailing packages.

I received an order tonight.  Buyer paid $125 + tax and shipping for a loose GI Joe figure shipped and chose first class. :( 

I gave him a free upgrade to Priority ($3 extra).  I am hoping that does 'something'.  I do not know what my confidence level is as a seller right now.  As a buyer, I assume it will get here eventually or I will get my money back.  But I am fully aware that I may have more patience than most.  I think (could be wrong) that you are about my age so we both remember the 'waiting for a check' days before this electronic payment stuff.  

5 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

I have a Priority Mail package that had its last update on November 22nd.  I track it every few days just to confirm that it's still there.  Today it changed to "Additional actions required, please contact USPS."  So I called them.  Two hours on hold.  The guy answered and said 'don't worry it's coming just hang on.'  And I said 'alright I mean I know everything is messed up right now (though a month delay on priority mail seems extreme) but it told me to call.'  He said 'forget that just keep waiting.'

Fair enough.

Same with me. Ordered a package priority mail in November that I needed by tomorrow. I thought three weeks would be plenty of time but it goes to random places and sits there. It made it to the hub near me that is the step before delivery two days ago then decided to go on a journey somewhere else. 

it took almost two weeks (Nov 27- Dec 9) for a small package to get from Phoenix to San Fran - the mail really is slow right now!

I have 2 ebay items I sent out on the 10th and 11th that are apparently just hanging out at the distribution facility. One of them has to maybe 14 miles but is just sitting there (Tempe 85044 to Gold Canyon 85118).

I hope the buyers are patient. I am almost hoping I don't get any more orders to just avoid getting caught up in the mess that is the holiday rush mail situation.

I also have a copy of Playboy that went out  a few days ago from Amazon---- still in a holding pattern as well. With that one-- I figured-- who cares if I use media mail or priority-- it is going to sit there for days anyway. Then when I go to check on it--nope--- it is moving just fine so far! Well at least it is out of Phoenix. Though it is headed to PALMYRA, NJ but I am assuming it is heading to CA for some sun and the beaches. I know- it is probably just a place to put media mail they will deliver some time next year. This should be FUN!

Delivery Information

Time Location Event Details
Thu, Dec 17, 2020, 5:45 AM PST Los Angeles Ca Network Distribution Center US Package arrived at a carrier facility
Wed, Dec 16, 2020, 7:44 PM PST Phoenix Az Distribution Center Annex US Package arrived at a carrier facility
Tue, Dec 15, 2020, 6:32 PM PST Phoenix AZ US Package has left the carrier facility
Tue, Dec 15, 2020, 3:28 PM PST Phoenix AZ US Package arrived at a carrier facility
Tue, Dec 15, 2020, 6:10 AM PST   Package has shipped

Edited by 01TheDude

I stopped my selling for the year a couple of months back, so as a seller this hasn't been a problem; but as a xmas shopper, it has caused some anxiety. I did most of my online shopping back around Thanksgiving, and still have two packages floating around out there. One is supposed to arrive today. The other? Who knows! Won't be the end of the world if it doesn't get here in time, but it'll be a bit of a bummer. Most of these packages were shipped first class, so no surprises that they're getting hung up (more than one has arrived in my city in a timely fashion, and then sat without moving for a week or more), but one package was shipped Priority from California, and it took 3 1/2 weeks to get here.

Interesting times. But as always, my heart is with the employees. It's not their fault, but they are the ones catching all of the heat. My postman is BEAT. They are working them like dogs. It is really rough. So I have nothing but empathy for our delivery people, and if a Christmas present comes a little late, well, it's certainly not the worst thing that happened this year.

Good thinking to hold off selling for this time period. I might just head over to amazon and put a vacation freeze on my stuff. I think you can do that with ebay using time away. Gotta find that.

In the end-- I hope everyone just stays super patient and is ok with the delays. I am not blaming anyone.

Vacation set on Amazon - check!

Time Away set on both ebay accounts with message - allowing offers but bot getting dinged for delivery times (Dec 17th -31st - 15 day window) - check!

OK-- now if none of my current items in the mass of mail slowdown don't bite me in the arse, I'll be golden!

and is it weird that I have no problem getting any normal letter mail delivered in a timely fashion? Clearly those sorting machines are working just fine, not that I believed the info about them having to hand sort letters impacting packages.

We shipped out 5 packages via UPS on Monday. One to Texas, one to South Carolina, one to Illinois, one to Minnesota and one to the middle of nowhere Wisconsin. All arrived at their destinations safely on Wednesday.

Of the three packages mailed via USPS on 12/02, one may be delivered today. And the destination was only 50 miles away. The other two packages are in limbo, although one is touring all of the states around Texas.

Amazing.

Edited by evilskip

Sadly I've put my little eBay store on vacation until New Years eve as a result of wanting to avoid the USPS right now.  My November 14 sale is still showing in transit near Portland with no new updates.  Tried to use the advice someone here gave (thanks) and reroute package back but after going through the whole process on the USPS website when I hit the pay now button a screen saying the service is unavailable pops up.  After 3 tries I gave up. Paid buyer his $550 back a few days ago per his open request (which he was forced by eBay to file within 30 days) and would guess he will/has get/got the books.  Don't cry too hard for me.  I'll be ok. 

I've had a couple What The Hell PMs about packages that are stuck in limbo but nobody has requested a refund but I do see it coming if a couple don't show up quick.  Thankfully they are only $20 books but it would still bite to take a hit since the post office is slow.