• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

There is no doubt that the release of "Zack Snyder's Justice League" has proven that the director's original vision for the DC superhero blockbuster was heavily distorted when it came out in 2017. And, if you delve a little deeper, you will find in the 4-hour "Snyder cut" that Ray Fisher's performance as Cyborg would have made him into the next big movie star in the superhero movie genre.

But then Joss Whedon happened.

Six months before "Justice League" came out, Snyder left the movie due to the suicide death of his daughter. Warner Bros. decided to have Whedon, who was already doing rewrites on the movie, take over the reins. Clearly his superhero pedigree was an attractive draw to the executives at WB as Whedon had made Marvel's "The Avengers" and "Avengers: Age of Ultron."

Unfortunately, Whedon wasn't the savior "Justice League" needed. The movie became a critical and box office punchline. And with whispers that Snyder's true vision was pushed aside for Whedon reshoots that included a cowering Russian family subplot and jokes that fell flat, the #ReleaseTheSnyderCut movement was born.

Fast-forward to today, the Snyder cut is finally a reality. You can certainly make the argument that given full rein and a streaming service hungry for content (HBO Max), Snyder overindulged with a four-hour movie. But, as a result, we got a true sense of what Snyder's plans were with the DC Comics Extended Universe beyond "Justice League." And Cyborg was going to play a major part in it.

"Justice League" really is the Cyborg origin story
Unlike the 2017 version, Fisher's Cyborg in the Snyder cut is no longer a supporting character whose role is basically tech support for the Justice League. In fact, in Synder's version, Cyborg is the lifeblood of the movie.

He gets most of the screen time out of the Justice League members. A big reason for that is because his character was the most picked apart in the 2017 version (with The Flash coming in a close second).

The Snyder cut isn't just the forming of the Justice League but the origin story of college football star Victor Stone becoming Cyborg. Complete with a powerful backstory, we watch through a good chunk of the movie as Victor tries to understand his cyborg form, how the power he's been given could be used for good, and deal with his father issues.

This is evident in a scene that was left out of the 2017 version where Victor assists a single mother trying to get by as a waitress by hacking into her bank account so she suddenly goes from having $11 to over $100,000.

There are countless other scenes in the Snyder cut that shows Cyborg's importance to the story — him leading the Justice League through the Kryptonian ship to bringing Superman back to life, and his dramatic attempt to separate the Mother Boxes in the movie's final battle.

But none of this would be impressive if it weren't for the actor.

Ray Fisher receiving recognition again from reviewers.

5 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I didn't hate the original, I liked it better when I rewatched it a few weeks ago, but it was not a favorite. 
This version is my new favorite.

I can't believe how different it is. 

I might even have to join Twitter or something to do that hashtag thing.

Please join soon. Every contribution counts.

Canada seems to be enjoying the #SnyderCut

Bell has announced that last week’s release of Zack Snyder’s Justice League on Crave is the most-streamed title in the platform’s history. This HBO Max original film had more than 1.1 million viewers on Crave, including Super Écran.

According to Bell, this is more than the previous 2019 record held by Game of Thrones. It’s worth noting that at the time, Bell reported that Game of Thrones’ final episode had a viewership of 2.75 million. However, this number was measured with a linear metric across the Crave app, Crave through Bell cable subscription services and other ways to access Crave. In comparison, Zack Snyder’s Justice League is the most-streamed title solely through Crave across desktop and its various apps. Additionally, Zack Snyder’s Justice League: Justice is Gray, a black and white version of the film, is also now available on Crave. Snyder’s cut of the film is four hours long, double the length of the original Joss Whedon-directed theatrical version. That added runtime features more scenes for characters like Cyborg and Flash, as well as ‘Knightmare’ epilogue that was recently shot by Snyder.

Despite 4-hour runtime, Zack Snyder’s Justice League is the most-streamed Crave title ever

Edited by Bosco685

On 3/26/2021 at 8:26 AM, Angel of Death said:

No. You must submit to my Equation.

You would submit to a calculation, an equation would just be something to ponder.

51 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

One heck of an intense scene.

Darkseid002.thumb.jpg.ad8d24de09883467d27a0f278210c56b.jpg

I loved his arrival in that scene, but that screenshot really highlights the issue I had with color grading in the film. You have the paradise of the island there and it is all bland sepia toned/shifted, whereas if they allowed the greens and blues of the land to pop it would have made Darksides presence even better (as his dark looming ships and the shadows cast from them would have been in stark contrast to the vibrant lands that had yet to feel his touch, and would have also made the fallout from the battle feel even more horrific. You need health and life to best highlight the blight!). 

6 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

I loved his arrival in that scene, but that screenshot really highlights the issue I had with color grading in the film. You have the paradise of the island there and it is all bland sepia toned/shifted, whereas if they allowed the greens and blues of the land to pop it would have made Darksides presence even better (as his dark looming ships and the shadows cast from them would have been in stark contrast to the vibrant lands that had yet to feel his touch, and would have also made the fallout from the battle feel even more horrific. You need health and life to best highlight the blight!). 

The colors are there. You are seeing it from his vantage point which is within his invasion ship bay, which also is spewing dark fire down on the land while it comes coasting in for the attack. So like a volcano darkening the land as it spews out molten lava. Even when he falls through the sky to land on the island is still colorful until his hand touches the ground. Which I assumed meant he was bringing darkness and destruction.

Not that you need to appreciate the scene. :martini:

Saying "the colors are there" is being verrrry generous :D 

His ships are not overtop that entire army and horizon so not sure that excuses the shot, but regardless even as a stylized choice (ala 300) I felt it made the troops on the ground look very muddy and removed the depth to an otherwise grand in scope battle. Still was great to see Darkside do his stuff (even though his introduction amounted to being whipped like a donkey and sent packing), so there are stuff to appreciate while critiquing the rest.

1 minute ago, Sauce Dog said:

Saying "the colors are there" is being verrrry generous :D 

His ships are not overtop that entire army and horizon so not sure that excuses the shot, but regardless even as a stylized choice (ala 300) I felt it made the troops on the ground look very muddy and removed the depth to an otherwise grand in scope battle. Still was great to see Darkside do his stuff (even though his introduction amounted to being whipped like a donkey and sent packing), so there are stuff to appreciate while critiquing the rest.

How old is your TV? I find it very dark when I look on my 10 year old tv and much better on the 1 year old one. Different picture systems, not that I understand the difference, but I can see it. 
With the older TV (which was not a cheap one when we bought it) everything looks darker and you kind of have to sit in the middle.