• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

How old is your TV? I find it very dark when I look on my 10 year old tv and much better on the 1 year old one. Different picture systems, not that I understand the difference, but I can see it. 
With the older TV (which was not a cheap one when we bought it) everything looks darker and you kind of have to sit in the middle.

I have both a new and old TV, but you can trust me when I say it ain't my hardware :) 

At home I use one of the last round of Samsung plasmas that has been calibrated by my wife and movies look AMAZING on it (she's an industry pro who works with theatrical projection and movie events. TV was purchased specifically for its color accuracy and black levels 5 years ago but we also have a newer system for 4k stuff, but that does not touch the accuracy of the other TV and I prefer to only game on the 4k one). I've also ran clips of it on a Christie 4220 to make sure I was seeing it correctly (as someone on another board suggested it was my black levels and TV at home and that I wasn't seeing the movie correctly) - the issue is just how it was color graded for me (and how some of the poor CGI environments really exacerbate the odd lighting/shadows under otherwise overcast scenes and cause a lack of depth to the shots - which becomes really obvious on the Christie)

Edited by Sauce Dog

22 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

I have both a new and old TV, but you can trust me when I say it ain't my hardware :) 

At home I use one of the last round of Samsung plasmas that has been calibrated by my wife and movies look AMAZING on it (she's an industry pro who works with theatrical projection and movie events. TV was purchased specifically for its color accuracy and black levels 5 years ago but we also have a newer system for 4k stuff, but that does not touch the accuracy of the other TV and I prefer to only game on the 4k one). I've also ran clips of it on a Christie 4220 to make sure I was seeing it correctly (as someone on another board suggested it was my black levels and TV at home and that I wasn't seeing the movie correctly) - the issue is just how it was color graded for me (and how some of the poor CGI environments really exacerbate the odd lighting/shadows under otherwise overcast scenes and cause a lack of depth to the shots - which becomes really obvious on the Christie)

Have you been drinking more of the martinis than me?

:baiting:

That was an incredible scene. Including the CGI when you see all the skin tone and muscles of Darkseid on display.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Have you been drinking more of the martinis than me?

That was an incredible scene. Including the CGI when you see all the skin tone and muscles of Darkseid on display.

Possibly, my gin stock is dangerously low - please send a motherbox to reset and create more filled bottles (the true power of the boxes!) :D

It can still be an incredible scene overall, and aspects of the CGI good (skin textures and other particle effects for example) while others fall short (depth of field due to composition and color grading)

56 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

Possibly, my gin stock is dangerously low - please send a motherbox to reset and create more filled bottles (the true power of the boxes!) :D

It can still be an incredible scene overall, and aspects of the CGI good (skin textures and other particle effects for example) while others fall short (depth of field due to composition and color grading)

I kid. But I also don't see the concerns.

Different strokes. Which is fine too.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

This exactly.  I'm really glad this movie struck a cord for so many, but it wasn't my cup of tea.  It was miles better than the Joss Whedon version, but that's not saying much.  I think there may be a very good 2 hour movie in there, but the 4 hours were more than I needed.

27 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

This exactly.  I'm really glad this movie struck a cord for so many, but it wasn't my cup of tea.  It was miles better than the Joss Whedon version, but that's not saying much.  I think there may be a very good 2 hour movie in there, but the 4 hours were more than I needed.

Yup, regardless of how it lands with most people a good deal of comic fans get to have a much better version of this movie (and make no mistake - it is much better than the Whedon version, though I still consider it a bad movie on its own merits, and feel this won't bring in any new non-comic fans to the series).

Pretty much regardless of it being a dud or not, everybody effectively wins: DC super fans get to have some cool set pieces & scenes to fuel their love for these characters, Snyder gets some closer, WB gets to release something during the pandemic (which I feel is the main reason we got it in the first place, not fan outcry, but the fact WB was starved for content during a time when its productions were shut down or five times the cost to film!), and Martian Manhunter gets to win the award for most useless/pointless character in a movie! ;) 

Edited by Sauce Dog

1 minute ago, Sauce Dog said:

Yup, regardless of how it lands with most people a good deal of comic fans get to have a much better version of this movie (and make no mistake - it is much better than the Whedon version, though I still consider it a bad movie on its own merits, and feel this won't bring in any new non-comic fans to the series).

Pretty much regardless of it being a dud or not, everybody effectively wins: DC super fans get to have some cool set pieces & scenes to fuel their love for these characters, Snyder gets some closer, WB gets to release something during the pandemic (which I feel is the main reason we got it in the first place, not fan outcry, but the fact WB was starved for content during a time when its productions were shut down or five times the cost to film!), and Martian Manhunter gets to say he's the most useless/pointless character in a movie! ;) 

I have to disagree as you are seeing more and more folks outside of the comic book community talking about how much they enjoyed this movie. Include professional athletes, sportscasters and just everyday people talking about now they are sold on where Zack Snyder was going with his run of movies.

Not everyone needs to like this film. Nobody needs to be forced either. But let's not make up details as we go along how this isn't going to win new people over. :foryou:

@Bosco685 You realize your very first example of 'folks outside of the comic book community' is of someone who has Batman posters all over their office, is a DC fan and buys CGC comics, right? :D (and at least three other examples were already big comic book fans. Heck, even your last example Brad Paisley is a comic book movie fan and went out of his way to visit the location of some sets for the Nolen Batman movies!)

I simply was saying I don't personally feel this movie will bring in NON-comic book viewers like other movies might (most people jumping onto this 4 hour epic already have some exposure to the comics at some level with prior DC or Marvel movies or comics books - which is exactly what your examples show)

But yes I agree "let's not make up details as we go along how this isn't going to win new people over." ;)

Edited by Sauce Dog

9 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

@Bosco685 You realize your very first example of 'folks outside of the comic book community' is of someone who has Batman posters all over their office, is a DC fan and buys CGC comics, right? :D (and at least three other examples were already big comic book fans. Heck, even your last example Brad Paisley is a comic book movie fan and went out of his way to visit the location of some sets for the Nolen Batman movies!)

I simply was saying I don't personally feel this movie will bring in NON-comic book viewers like other movies might (most people jumping onto this 4 hour epic already have some exposure to the comics at some level with prior DC or Marvel movies or comics books - which is exactly what your examples show)

But yes I agree "let's not make up details as we go along how this isn't going to win new people over." ;)

@Sauce Dog you mean the Sports digital services guy responding to the DC fan in support of his #SnyderCut post? You may be mixing up how Twitter quotes work.

ZSJL009.PNG.0e0965f560f6042414efd86f96389d5d.PNG

And with the others it is the same. No comic book in any of their profiles, yet now onboard with this film vision they didn't connect with before. Or the fellow noting he went in with low expectations and came out the other end entertained.

Now with Brad Paisley the point is you now have someone of that celebrity-level also posting #RestoreTheSnyderVerse. Not something he was pushing to his 4M (+) followers previously.

But no, making the broad statement that you did without the research is just that. Your opinion without accounting for the details coming out of large (or largest) streaming records from places like Canada, India, Australia. Brazil I consider consistent as it is normally a huge DC films supporter (so not surprised).

So with such massive exposure you will have your traditional comic book fans and also general viewers as well. To think that is mainly comic book fans is surprising. So yes, let's not add details as we go along to support any view because you weren't satisfied.

Edited by Bosco685

9 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

@Sauce Dog you mean the Sports digital services guy responding to the DC fan in support of his #SnyderCut post? You may be mixing up how Twitter quotes work.

ZSJL009.PNG.0e0965f560f6042414efd86f96389d5d.PNG

And with the others it is the same. No comic book in any of their profiles, yet now onboard with this film vision they didn't connect with before. Or the fellow noting he went in with low expectations and came out the other end entertained.

Now with Brad Paisley the point is you now have someone of that celebrity-level also posting #RestoreTheSnyderVerse. Not something he was pushing to his 4M (+) followers previously.

But no, making the broad statement that you did without the research is just that. Your opinion without accounting for the details coming out of large (or largest) streaming records from places like Canada, India, Australia. Brazil I consider consistent as it is normally a huge DC films supporter (so not surprised).

So with such massive exposure you will have your traditional comic book fans and also general viewers as well. To think that is mainly comic book fans is surprising. So yes, let's not add details as we go along to support any view because you weren't satisfied.

Dude, we get it you REALLY want to push the positives of the movie and seem to get a little defensive when somebody dares criticize some aspect of it or offer a differing opinion on how it will impact the industry/viewers. Chill :D 

You posted some very bad examples of 'folks outside of the comic book community' as if you didn't do the most basic of research and saw they supported YOUR claim and looked 'non-comic'. Literally 2 seconds on each account (don't just look at their profiles, look at their tweets and other social accounts) - one of them even worked at a comic book shop!

I'm not saying NO new non-comic fans will be gained from this, but rather the vast majority of people really into it have existing love for comics or comic book movies and the cultural impact of the hashtag is allowing them to feel like it is okay to post more comic stuff on main (even though many did before). The wave of popularity for the hashtag emboldens their existing fandom and makes them feel better about showing their comic love more openly. That's good.

Also your CRAVE posting amounts to views, not how many liked it or completed the movie (as nobody has those metrics) so yes, it was streamed the most (nobody denying that) - but that is the equivalent to generic web views for analytics in my profession (mostly useless without the secondary data to give it shape and context). I would rather wait for actual analytics rather than clickbait headlines (as it seems just about every movie breaks some sort of new record on release for the headlines. I'm not discounting it, just not making it out to be more than it is without more info. I know a watch group for Crave that stopped watching after 2 parts, where does that fall in the metrics? I watched it all and found it bad, what's the metric for that? How many found it just 'okay'?)

1058062271_ScreenShot2021-03-28at11_37_55AM.thumb.png.9bb7fad4779296b49cb97e8616db9623.png

14 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

Dude, we get it you REALLY want to push the positives of the movie and seem to get a little defensive when somebody dares criticize some aspect of it or offer a differing opinion on how it will impact the industry/viewers. Chill :D 

Spoiler

You posted some very bad examples of 'folks outside of the comic book community' as if you didn't do the most basic of research and saw they supported YOUR claim and looked 'non-comic'. Literally 2 seconds on each account (don't just look at their profiles, look at their tweets and other social accounts) - one of them even worked at a comic book shop!

I'm not saying NO new non-comic fans will be gained from this, but rather the vast majority of people really into it have existing love for comics or comic book movies and the cultural impact of the hashtag is allowing them to feel like it is okay to post more comic stuff on main (even though many did before). The wave of popularity for the hashtag emboldens their existing fandom and makes them feel better about showing their comic love more openly. That's good.

Also your CRAVE posting amounts to views, not how many liked it or completed the movie (as nobody has those metrics) so yes, it was streamed the most (nobody denying that) - but that is the equivalent to generic web views for analytics in my profession (mostly useless without the secondary data to give it shape and context). I would rather wait for actual analytics rather than clickbait headlines (as it seems just about every movie breaks some sort of new record on release for the headlines. I'm not discounting it, just not making it out to be more than it is without more info. I know a watch group for Crave that stopped watching after 2 parts, where does that fall in the metrics? I watched it all and found it bad, what's the metric for that? How many found it just 'okay'?)

1058062271_ScreenShot2021-03-28at11_37_55AM.thumb.png.9bb7fad4779296b49cb97e8616db9623.png

Since you want to play the clown and over-dramatize a situation, I'll play in your circus. But can I get a popcorn and Coca Cola first?

You've been around long enough to see the sport-nitpicking that has taken place with DC productions on this forum. Or you can pretend. And there have been folks posting in here this film was not for them or it was just okay. What if anything have I noted in general? 'Different strokes - it won't work for everyone!'

Other than when the typical folks make a post about how it was bad or overblown Snyder filmography.

But hey, 'dude', you may have missed all that because you were checking what CGI didn't work for you. Did you do that with Infinity War or Endgame with scenes like Mark Ruffallo with his head too small or too large in the Hulkbuster at times? And not even CGI worked on during a pandemic.

Dislike what you want. Don't exaggerate.

Now I'm still waiting on that popcorn and soda. :baiting:

(I think this is where I insert a xD ) :foryou:

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Since you want to play the clown and over-dramatize a situation, I'll play in your circus. But can I get a popcorn and Coca Cola first?

You've been around long enough to see the sport-nitpicking that has taken place with DC productions on this forum. Or you can pretend. And there have been folks posting in here this film was not for them or it was just okay. What if anything have I noted in general? 'Different strokes - it won't work for everyone!'

Other than when the typical folks make a post about how it was bad or overblown Snyder filmography.

But hey, 'dude', you may have missed all that because you were checking what CGI didn't work for you. Did you do that with Infinity War or Endgame with scenes like Mark Ruffallo with his head too small or too large in the Hulkbuster at times? And not even CGI worked on during a pandemic.

Dislike what you want. Don't exaggerate.

Now I'm still waiting on that popcorn and soda. :baiting:

(I think this is where I insert a xD ) :foryou:

Yes, I had issues with the CGI with both those movies, especially Endgame (though the critiques I have with Justice League might be more aptly compared to those I also had with Winter Soldier, however I found that to be a good movie regardless of its faults). But my enjoyment of a movie doesn't begin and end with the CGI, I simply commented on that visual aspect since you posted a screen shot that I found to be a good example of something I would critique (but does not speak to the -script, acting, or other elements - so hence why I didn't discuss those aspects). 

Over-dramatize a situtation? Which situation? You proceed to scour twitter for dozens of random twitter posts to prop up your opinion (from accounts you clearly didn't look at and ended up being comic fans already) for...reasons? 

I'm not other 'typical folks' - I don't care what they said either way, so rather than bring other people up why not just address what I was saying about the technical merits. End of the day, I did find the movie to be an improvement and more coherent over its predecessor, but boring and bloated - and overall a poor film by its own merits. It's still fun to discuss new culturally relevant comic stuff that interests me - hence why I am here, so why not stick to that instead of flooding the thread with random tweets of other peoples opinions (I don't feel the need to do the same).

We both need more gin :)

15 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

Yes, I had issues with the CGI with both those movies, especially Endgame (though the critiques I have with Justice League might be more aptly compared to those I also had with Winter Soldier, however I found that to be a good movie regardless of its faults). But my enjoyment of a movie doesn't begin and end with the CGI, I simply commented on that visual aspect since you posted a screen shot that I found to be a good example of something I would critique (but does not speak to the --script, acting, or other elements - so hence why I didn't discuss those aspects). 

Over-dramatize a situtation? Which situation? You proceed to scour twitter for dozens of random twitter posts to prop up your opinion (from accounts you clearly didn't look at and ended up being comic fans already) for...reasons? 

I'm not other 'typical folks' - I don't care what they said either way, so rather than bring other people up why not just address what I was saying about the technical merits. End of the day, I did find the movie to be an improvement and more coherent over its predecessor, but boring and bloated - and overall a poor film by its own merits. It's still fun to discuss new culturally relevant comic stuff that interests me - hence why I am here, so why not stick to that instead of flooding the thread with random tweets of other peoples opinions (I don't feel the need to do the same).

We both need more gin :)

Actually that's a great example where nobody was over-sensitive. And even Sharon was asking if you watched it on an old TV.

Once you shared your two-TV setup and even your wife's expertise my response was the following. No excitement. Nothing overblown. Just a decent conversation. And once again acknowledgement this won't be for everyone.

20 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

So you playing the fake adult in the room with 'Dude, we get it you REALLY want to push the positives of the movie and seem to get a little defensive when somebody dares criticize some aspect of it or offer a differing opinion...' maybe you were talking out your backside? Folks have even posted the 'pitch meeting' or 'how this should have ended' videos and I laughed along with them. But still thoroughly enjoying this film.

Now your little game of my not thoroughly researching the people I reference: one fellow even noted he went in with low expectations and walked away surprised how entertained he was. And the sports digital marketing expert - Heaven forbid. He took pictures in front of posters?! Okay. Whatever that means.

You were trying to pitch new people would not be drawn in by this movie. Then had to add disclaimers what you really meant after I gave examples of viewers now onboard. Twist that how you want. Yet you also ignore the over-evaluation that goes on here with non-MCU properties. That gets tiring.

Now where's the gin you promised? :martini: