• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Unless you're splitting the hair of A+, A++, A+++, B+, etc listers like Cinemascore does.  I was using the classic Hollywood A-list, B-list, C-list scale.  Anyone who thinks any Avenger was on the same level as Spider-Man or the X-Men is discussing something else entirely.

I was using the Hollywood scale as well.

Before the MCU

A list: Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America, Hulk

B list: Iron Man, Avengers, Thor

Etc

16 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Didn't notice until the other night in watching for a third time that we do see a second Green Lantern.

Hide contents

Kilowag :ohnoez:

ExAelmMVIAQALzM.thumb.jpeg.a930f3e91f9364bd9346e1a88c399bce.jpeg

since when did he wear a mask.

I hope someone got fired for that blunder

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Unless you're splitting the hair of A+, A++, A+++, B+, etc listers like Cinemascore does.  I was using the classic Hollywood A-list, B-list, C-list scale.  Anyone who thinks any Avenger was on the same level as Spider-Man or the X-Men is discussing something else entirely.

"Avengers" as a group. Heck, only one x-man was A list. Deadpool became A list in the years before the movie, at least for the 50 and under crowd.

Harry Lennix told Insider he was cleared to film for the original "Justice League" back in 2016 before he was told he was getting cut.

"Because of the two-hour demand that the movie be cut down, my character got lost in the shuffle," Lennix told Insider.

In the new film, Lennix is back and reveals himself as the Martian Manhunter twice in the movie. At the time, Lennix had no idea Snyder planned to make him a hero.

HOMEPAGE
HOME  ENTERTAINMENT
Harry Lennix says Zack Snyder was 'ahead of the curve' by introducing diverse heroes that were cut from the 2017 theatrical cut of 'Justice League'
Kirsten Acuna Mar 23, 2021, 1:38 PM

zack snyder justice league atom cyborg martian manhunter
"Zack Snyder's Justice League" restores three more superheroes to the film's roster. A fourth was still left on the cutting room floor. HBO Max, Warner Bros.
Warning: There are spoilers ahead for "Zack Snyder's Justice League."
Zack Snyder always wanted to have a diverse group of heroes in his "Justice League."
WB still didn't allow him to add a third Black hero, Green Lantern, into his "Snyder cut."
Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.

"Zack Snyder's Justice League," now streaming on 
HBO Max
, restores three diverse superheroes that were either completely cut or heavily pared down from the original 2017 theatrical version of the movie.

Harry Lennix told Insider he was cleared to film for the original "Justice League" back in 2016 before he was told he was getting cut.

"Because of the two-hour demand that the movie be cut down, my character got lost in the shuffle," Lennix told Insider.

In the new film, Lennix is back and reveals himself as the Martian Manhunter twice in the movie. At the time, Lennix had no idea Snyder planned to make him a hero.

martha kent martian manhunter justice league
Harry Lennix's General Swanwick finally reveals himself as Martian Manhunter in "Justice League." HBO Max
Zheng Kai's role as a member of Star Labs was also cut. In the comics, the character goes on to become a superhero named The Atom.

Ray Fisher's role as Victor Stone/Cyborg was also pared down because of the studio mandate. He's now an integral part of the movie and even gets an extended origin story, which plays like a solo film worked into the confines of the larger "Justice League" plot.

Snyder told Deadline the film was supposed to set up a solo Cyborg movie.

"I'm not surprised that Zack is ahead of the curve in many ways," Lennix said, adding that the Wachowski siblings, who he worked with on "The Matrix" sequels, were also pushing to put more diversity on-screen in their films.

"Knowing how many Black people love these characters in the DCEU — how I loved Superman growing up and Batman and these characters — to actually now be able to see oneself represented is transformative," Lennix continued. "It, in many ways, becomes determinative because you can associate yourself in a physical form with something that had previously been denied or in some way withheld from our demographic."

1 hour ago, Muno42 said:

Earlier this year, Zack Snyder spoke out against labeling his fans as “toxic” in an interview with “Release the Snyder Cut” author and CinemaBlend managing director Sean O’Connell.

“It’s just a bunch of BS. In regards to that toxic fandom, or it’s ‘a win for toxic fandom,’” Snyder said. “In what world does this ‘toxic fandom’ raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for suicide prevention? How is that toxic fandom? They’ve probably achieved more than any other fan base, [and done more] good than any other group. So I don’t understand.”

Over $500K toward suicide prevention. Amazing!

Secrets of the Snyder Cut: How the filmmaker and VFX team reimagined 'Justice League'

In an extended conversation with Yahoo Entertainment, Smith, Langlands and Snyder shared spoilery secrets from the (re)making of Justice League, from reimagining the film’s two Big Bads to the Knightmare epilogue that teases the dark future that Batman and his super friends prevented… for now, at least.

Steppenwolf the Space Knight

Darkseid isn’t the one who makes first contact with the DCEU: Instead, that honor falls to one of his foot soldiers, Steppenwolf (Ciarán Hinds), who was first glimpsed in Batman v Superman communing with Jesse Eisenberg’s Lex Luthor. It’s Steppenwolf who takes the initiative to bring the forces of Apokolips back to Earth, hunting for the three missing Mother Boxes that, when united, will devastate the planet and herald Darkseid’s arrival. In Whedon’s 2017 cut, Darkseid’s role was almost entirely eliminated from the narrative leaving Steppenwolf as the Justice League’s primary antagonist. But Snyder always saw the character as having a different motivation: In his telling, Steppenwolf is a fallen-angel figure, trying to get back into his lord’s good graces by rewriting Darkseid’s greatest failure into his greatest conquest.

“He's a legit space knight,” Snyder says enthusiastically of Steppenwolf, and that description became the guiding principle behind his Snyder Cut makeover, which heavily revises the armor that he sported in the theatrical version. “We essentially went back to the original design that you saw at the end of Batman v Superman, and worked from that same concept art” explains Langlands, adding that Snyder suggested one major addition. “Zack had the idea that his armor would react to his mood and be part of his performance, as if it was some kind of alien technology that’s symbiotic with him.” That’s why the spikes that adorn Steppenwolf’s exterior are always glimpsed shifting and rippling within scenes. “We built the armor as a bunch of interlocking scale pieces, with individual metal scales laid on top of his surfaces. Our animators were able to develop a system where they could go from a dormant state to an angry state.”

The two faces of Darkseid

When Whedon took over Justice League and scrapped Darkseid’s storyline, Weta Digital’s initial plans for the Jack Kirby-created character went in the dustbin. But Smith and Langlands team dusted those early tests off once Snyder got the go-ahead to bring the big guy back for the Snyder Cut. “There was already a pallet and a canvas in place for Darkseid, so we didn’t have to do any grunt work,” Smith says. “We had gotten the character up to a certain level, so when we brought all of that back online, we got to go: ‘Let’s do all the cool stuff we wanted to do before.’”

There are actually two versions of Darkseid glimpsed in the movie: the galactic warrior who storms Earth in the prehistoric days, and the veteran leader who watches the action from afar in the present. “It was fun to have these two different sides to that character and explore how he behaves in each of those situations,” Langlands remarks. “During the flashback to the Age of Heroes battle, you see his youthful phase where he’s just full of testosterone — bashing heads and going crazy. And then we have the more elderly statesman version toward the end of the movie where he's this big imperious force to be reckoned with.” One big key to the difference between the warrior and the statesman? The latter fights bare-chested, whereas the other wears more regal armor.

Snyder was particularly enamored of the more testosterone-fueled Darkseid and pushed the Weta Digital team to really show off his mettle in the Age of Heroes battle, where he takes down Amazons, Atlanteans, Greek gods... and even a Green Lantern. “He’s kind of a brawler,” the director notes. “He’s just reaping the harvest: grabbing people by their necks and holding them up and doing his thing. He's probably done this on a thousand worlds — it’s just what he does. He lands and whatever comes his way, he’s ready to kill it.”

Interestingly, the battle featured in the Snyder Cut is actually longer than the version Snyder had planned for back in 2016, and he left the beats of many of the specific one-on-one fights — including Darkseid’s Green Lantern beatdown — up to Weta Digital. “We’d get a call, and they’d be like, ‘OK, this is what they want to pitch: Darkseid grabs a guy, and then gets shot and the guy falls down and kicks him,'” Snyder recalls. “And I’d say: ‘Yes absolutely. I’m happy to go nuts, so you guys go as nuts as you want to go.’ When you tell your VFX team, ‘I’d love to get Darkseid over here, but he’s going to have to kick some along the way,’ that's just what happens.”

Race for your life, Barry Allen
It’s a series of panels that DC fans know all too well: In 1985, artist George Pérez illustrated Barry Allen's final run as the Flash in the eight issues of the mega-crossover event, Crisis on Infinite Earths. The lightning-fast hero raced to his final resting place (well... temporarily anyway) knowing that his speed was all that stood between him and the deaths of millions across the Multiverse.

At the end of the Snyder Cut, the fate of the Earth also rests upon Barry’s speedy shoulders. Despite the League’s best efforts, Steppenwolf’s quest to unite the three Mother Boxes has succeeded and not even the combined might of Cyborg and Superman can wrench them apart. The resulting explosion wipes out our heroes for good — unless the Flash can turn back the clock by using the Speed Force. So Barry runs faster than he ever has before, willing himself forward as time warps and reshapes around him, and his atomized teammates are reconstituted. Unlike his comic book counterpart, this Flash lives to run another day.

Asked whether those specific Crisis splash pages inspired Barry’s Justice League marathon, the director says that they may have been an unconscious influence. “It’s one of those things that when you start to dig into it, you go down a rabbit hole. It absolutely could have started there, because we do love the comics and often go, ‘Hey, it should look like that.’”

A little heads up for those who are big fans, Batman vs Superman remastered version has just come out. It's got more imax ratio scenes, different color timing, a Synder commentary track, intro and a few other minor goodies. This is also of course the longer cut of the movie. Its been quietly updated on many of the Digital media providers, plus of course on a new UHD.

Edited by Rip

1 hour ago, Rip said:

A little heads up for those who are big fans, Batman vs Superman remastered version has just come out. It's got more imax ratio scenes, different color timing, a Synder commentary track, intro and a few other minor goodies. This is also of course the longer cut of the movie. Its been quietly updated on many of the Digital media providers, plus of course on a new UHD.

Holy cow, quietly is right! I bought BVS Ultimate in HD years ago on iTunes. Last week I checked and it was widescreen. After your post, I checked again and it’s been updated to the new 4K IMAX version! (Despite the iTunes description not being updated yet). The studio did not charge extra for this. I was all set to buy the new version. This was a most welcome and surprising gift. Strange that it wasn’t updated on HBOMAX. They still have the original widescreen. 
We are now starting to see benefits of owning digital copies of movies compared to the physical media. Blu-ray was king up until just recently. Now we can stream 4K through 5G. And on top of that the studio can make additions to the extra features or the film itself much like gamers receive updates and additional content to their purchased titles.

Edited by Oddball

Just to piggyback off my last post, I know there’s an argument about whether or not we really “own” digital copies of movies. I can only share a couple of personal experiences. I was worried when Amazon once reached out and literally deleted an entire book off my Kindle and refunded the credit back into my account. I had no control as long as I was connected online. After that I got paranoid and put my Kindle into airplane mode until I finished reading everything on it.  But after almost 15 years and three different Kindles, I had only lost one book out of hundreds.

As for my movie library, I have used iTunes since 2006. I save all the movies I would like in my want list and I buy them when they hit those weekly sales at $4.99. Sometimes I wait up to a year before it drops to 9.99 or 7.99 or 4.99. They drop and then go back up. MANY movies I purchased are no longer available to buy on iTunes for whatever reason. They were pulled. But they are all still in my library available to download or stream. I have never lost a single purchase. I get an email confirmation of each transaction of course and I never delete those in the event something drops off my collection. The terms state I have either purchased or rented the movie. 

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Justice Is Gray Edition is live.

Damn, I’ll have to wait to see this version on a better screen as it’s not some hack job flipping a movie in color to black and white.  Here’s a great article to check out. The Mist is a perfect example of a superior and scarier version.

https://filmschoolrejects.com/logan-noir-brief-history-black-white-cut/

I'm 21 minutes in and things that were in the color cut jump out at you in B&W.

Like the museum that the terrorists attack, every building feature stands out. All the fear on the faces of those being held jumps out.

Amazonian mother box battle scene is like a different experience. Every armor ornament, every facial expression, every effort of muscle just jumps out. Even Steppenwolf's armor design stands out much more.

:headbang: