• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Star Wars Comics that are heating up
17 17

1,470 posts in this topic

On 12/15/2020 at 2:01 AM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I did a con in Charlotte on Sunday and it was BANANANAS! Since people hadn't had shows in a while and either didn't know or didn't have time to purge their own stuff, the pickings were VERY good. Especially on SW stuff. I try and keep up with the news but even I miss stuff. Picked multiple SW 2/43/60 for $5-9 but left behind 5s at the same price. Found an Old Republic Lost Suns 2 for $3. Thought it was a $20 book. Had no idea it was a $75 book now. The market is crazy hot right now especially in person with people not being able to dig in so long. You can sell anything Dark Horse right now as people just assume that any book has the potential to blow up overnight. I'll but any first Darth (although I'm unfamiliar with most) for cheap and use the CBSI links referenced above to buy anyone's first that I've heard of. It doesn't have to be fist apps either. Cool covers featuring Asajj Ventress or Aurra Sing (or any other character for that matter) and any Clone Wars tie-ins were moving especially well. 

Hope you don't regret it in the long run.:foryou:

23 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Of course newsstands are more prevalent for 1980, however newsstand copies staying in 9.8 condition is usually the kicker. Only 3 of the 15 sold 9.8s on ebay were newsies. 

I get into this argument from time to time. My thought always is early 80s are abundant and they just dont slab them. Later 80s and into the 90s I agree more with that thought.

On 12/14/2020 at 12:51 PM, Broke as a Joke said:
On 12/14/2020 at 11:54 AM, ygogolak said:

Mags though. Much like Marvel Super Special #15 vs. Star Wars #42.

I would totally agree that as mags, the comics are usually preferred.  But Star Wars isn't a comic book property, as these characters debuted in animated shows before being adapted for comics.  The first published appearances being in magazines are desirable for a fan.  Helps that CGC does grade them too

I never touch mags unless I get them for $1 and they are in great shape. No matter what spec sites tell you its not a good spec to put alot of money in them. Odd size books have a much smaller buying pool.

I'll admit, I just spent $100 on a pristine Mace Windu #5. I like the "in canon" appearance a little more, and I think as Ahsoka's first continues to climb this one will too. May grab another when it dips in mid 2021 before show news. 

7 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I never touch mags unless I get them for $1 and they are in great shape. No matter what spec sites tell you its not a good spec to put alot of money in them. Odd size books have a much smaller buying pool.

Good luck finding those Insider mags at all much less for a $1. Comic stores don't have backstock of these things.

8 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

So you only get Spider Man and Batman books? Anything else is a smaller buying pool.

I've been trying to scoop up anything related to Force Awakens since they seem to be less desirable "at the moment" 

but anything related to Boba Fett, Thrawn... I'd say any of the other bounty hunters too. Could see them appearing in "Book of Boba Fett" next year.

53 minutes ago, BigContracts said:

I've been trying to scoop up anything related to Force Awakens since they seem to be less desirable "at the moment" 

but anything related to Boba Fett, Thrawn... I'd say any of the other bounty hunters too. Could see them appearing in "Book of Boba Fett" next year.

Best bet here is to watch clone wars and pick up who he hangs out with on the show. 

The sequels were a disaster. The characters focus on are Kylo Ren and Maz Katana. Those characters appeared to have the biggest and most deserving backstories from the sequel trilogy. It’s possible they are explained or used to make sense of the garbage sequels. 

1 hour ago, HighRadArt said:

Star Wars High Republic 1 is nuts.  Second print has been ordered before the first print has hit the shelves.

A big part of that is due to stores not going big on the first print orders. I was expecting 200,000 - 250,000 print run since the book has been telegraphed and solicited since early 2020. Looking at the current state of new issue orders, 100,000ish is more realistic excluding the store variants. That is a far cry from the 2015 SW 1, which was over 900,000 in January 2015 according to Comichron

3 hours ago, kimik said:

A big part of that is due to stores not going big on the first print orders. I was expecting 200,000 - 250,000 print run since the book has been telegraphed and solicited since early 2020. Looking at the current state of new issue orders, 100,000ish is more realistic excluding the store variants. That is a far cry from the 2015 SW 1, which was over 900,000 in January 2015 according to Comichron

I’m curious to see where the number ends up at. It’s the first era to be introduced into canon that didn’t have a skywalker hanging out somewhere, I believe. Pretty big deal from a storytelling standpoint. 

How many variants are there for #1?