• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Fantasy #15 1962 CGC 9.8 up for auction
1 1

85 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Beige said:

How is this a scam?

It's not-I was just making a general comment regarding JJJ's comment.
I do think the 'new group of collectors' line is a bit dicey tho.

Oh Ok

Thanks Kav, thought I'd missed something.

Shouldn't you be waving willies with Greggy in another thread?

First to 300 posts wins!

1 minute ago, Beige said:

Shouldn't you be waving willies with Greggy in another thread?

That's what she said.

5 minutes ago, Beige said:

How is this a scam?

I've seen numerous restored copies of this book (amateur and professional) and many of those copies had a serious reduction in eye appeal because of the restoration. I personally can't tolerate restoration of any kind, but for a heavily restored and trimmed book, this is probably as good as it gets. So in my view it's not a scam, because the buyer knows exactly what they're getting for their money...

3 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I've seen numerous restored copies of this book (amateur and professional) and many of those copies had a serious reduction in eye appeal because of the restoration. I personally can't tolerate restoration of any kind, but for a heavily restored and trimmed book, this is probably as good as it gets. So in my view it's not a scam, because the buyer knows exactly what they're getting for their money...

I also dont think anyone is going to buy the book because they were swayed by the claim about the new group of collectors.  Anyone dumb enough to buy a hi dollar book based on that would have already spent it on some nigerian prince or whatnot.

9 hours ago, Mike Bray said:

so -- will some comic newbie with a big trust account do something stupid --- 

I think this already started with the "Preview" buys for around 10k.

Someone is single handedly trying to shift the market. 

12 hours ago, spidermanbeyond said:

The final price is pretty weak.  The price is equivalent to universal 5.0/5.5 price.  Torpedo tried to sell me a Restored Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 9.4 SS Stan Lee for $50k and then ended up getting it regraded to Restored CBCS 9.6 SS Stan Lee, asking for $110 k.   John thought CGC would not give a Restored AF 15 a 9.8 so tried the CBCS route.  This was many years ago so I don't know if it actually sold.

You think a BIN, regardless of site hosting would have gotten the seller more cash?

E.g. $80,000? hm

56 minutes ago, SeniorSurfer said:

If it had been cracked out, submitted to, say, the Putrid Grading hoaXers who would have missed everything as usual ("Does this book seem smaller to you?") and been given a universal-type grade, they might have made a bigger bundle.

I don't think so...

19 hours ago, kav said:

It's not-I was just making a general comment regarding JJJ's comment.
I do think the 'new group of collectors' line is a bit dicey tho.

A new group that PT Barnum would be proud to point out🤪🤪😷

26 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

What defects are you seeing?hm

307D3B68-FEE5-47C0-95C3-525F8D195021.png

Don't think this is an IGB book, at all.

If they can bring a Batman 1 to 9.6 sans trimming or a Hulk 1 to 9.8 again sans trimming (or other examples of super high grade restored books), they wouldn't need to on this book.

Edited by Gotham Kid