• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Fantasy #15 1962 CGC 9.8 up for auction
1 1

85 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Just seen this on a search. To bad it's a restored copy. If it's somewhere else in the forums, I'll duck and cover.

Restored Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 9.8 Spider-Man Up For Auction (bleedingcool.com)

image.png.73ea30b494deee03140c58c6073c9959.png

It looks like one of those IGB recreation jobs.  I wonder how much of it is real?

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

It looks like one of those IGB recreation jobs.  I wonder how much of it is real?

Didn't cgc refuse to do anymore work for the Meyers, and it's now in court?

Just now, Beige said:

I'm not sure what happened with that.   The thread is no longer pinned.  

8 minutes ago, comicdonna said:
10 minutes ago, Beige said:

I'm not sure what happened with that.   The thread is no longer pinned.  

I was going to guess it was IGB work and the book was graded before CGC stopped accepting their work. 

Sorry to interrupt the Ginsu knife discussion. :foryou:

5 hours ago, Northwest said:

It sold for $42,222 on Tuesday. 

The final price is pretty weak.  The price is equivalent to universal 5.0/5.5 price.  Torpedo tried to sell me a Restored Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 9.4 SS Stan Lee for $50k and then ended up getting it regraded to Restored CBCS 9.6 SS Stan Lee, asking for $110 k.   John thought CGC would not give a Restored AF 15 a 9.8 so tried the CBCS route.  This was many years ago so I don't know if it actually sold.

1 minute ago, spidermanbeyond said:

The final price is pretty weak.  The price is equivalent to universal 5.0/5.5 price.  Torpedo tried to sell me a Restored Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 9.4 SS Stan Lee for $50k and then ended up getting it regraded to Restored CBCS 9.6 SS Stan Lee, asking for $110 k.   John thought CGC would not give a Restored AF 15 a 9.8 so tried the CBCS route.  This was many years ago so I don't know if it actually sold.

The degree of restoration is a factor as well. The 9.8 has extensive, auspicious restoration which likely impacted the hammer price. 

2 hours ago, comicdonna said:

Is it? It certainly looks like it. I would assume that IGB Reconstruction wouldn't trim a book as part of their process. If it is IGB's handiwork, it was probably trimmed prior to their recreation. 

5 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Is it? It certainly looks like it. I would assume that IGB Reconstruction wouldn't trim a book as part of their process. If it is IGB's handiwork, it was probably trimmed prior to their recreation. 

I would bet money it's their work.

Does anybody actually view the census and pay attention to the restored book population? I can't recall seeing it mentioned as a selling point, "Highest graded", or "tied for second highest graded", or any other comments by major auctioneers when one of these 9.6 or 9.8 reconstituted trimmed patchwork fantasy books is listed. 

I myself will look at the census and am solely concerned with the population of Universal labels. How many hobbyists really allow restored census entries to influence any of their purchase or selling decision making? 

8 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

How many hobbyists really allow restored census entries to influence any of their purchase or selling decision making? 

The new group of collectors-and their number is growing!  :makepoint:

I'm willing to let my collection of Ragman comics go-there's a new group of collectors that are paying tens of thousands of dollars for these books.  I am willing to let mine go for $200 each.

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

People with more dollars than sense usually do.

Money flows from dolts to scammers-its like electricity that way.  

25 minutes ago, kav said:

Money flows from dolts to scammers-its like electricity that way.  

How is this a scam?