• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You can time travel back to 2010 and purchase ONE golden age book...
4 4

73 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Primetime said:

Marvel Comics 1 in 2.0 for around $20k..because it’s the greatest comic book ever published :x

Yeah, Marvel #1 is towards the top of my list for 2010 shoulda coulda. Cap #1, #3, #32, #37,#46.  Hmm, let's just say every Cap. lol 

Fantastic #3 is another great choice. I wouldn't have been in the running for a beauty like the one Joshua posted, but I let a cheap restored one slip away circa 2006ish and regret it. :)

5 hours ago, fishbone said:

Detective 31 , a 3.0 with half-decent page quality  ....   so regret selling my brittle-page 1.8 a few years ago that I bought in 2008 ....thank God I got the two Holy Grails in 2009 and 2010, so no need for a time machine there at least  :bigsmile:

That 1.8 was my former copy from Harley. 

17 hours ago, Primetime said:

That 1.8 was my former copy from Harley. 

Yup    .........  that was a crazy little story between you and Harley, then back to Harley, then to me ....  very nice profit from dirt-cheap Harley price in 2008-ish to 2017 auction sale ........ but still miss it, probably will never be able to replace 

Although not as impressive as Action 1 or Detective 27, my 2 are books I had realistic chances at and failed to pull the trigger, much to my regret.  The first is Spirit 22 in 7.0 (not the copy but image taken from internet).  I'll never pay what the book goes for now so that ship sailed.

0.thumb.jpg.27323d1acdccb2949fe60ed1017cbb91.jpg

And the other was Shock Suspenstories 6 in 9.0 (Bethlehem Copy).  It sat on ebay for a long time and I had purchased other books from the same seller that turned out well.  It was $900 or so but would be much more now so, not going to own that either (again not the copy, taken from internet).

768713.jpg.bc733677ab2e81df2df7f3987656c50e.jpg

Edited by Randall Dowling
clarification

On 1/27/2021 at 10:24 AM, pemart1966 said:

Also remember that $500 was a TON of $ in '69  :preach:

It amounts to around 5 to 8 thousand dollars today, depending on where you live. 

What I wonder is how hard was it to find a copy of an Action 1, Tec 27, Marvel 1, and the other big GA's back in about up to the late 60's. I would think that considering that there are so few around today and most that survived until and were bought even in the 1960's are probably still around today, that maybe even in the 1960's they were a challenge to find.  

Edited by Professor Chaos
spelling correction

2 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Although not as impressive as Action 1 or Detective 27, my 2 are books I had realistic chances at and failed to pull the trigger, much to my regret.  The first is Spirit 22 in 7.0 (not the copy but image taken from internet).  I'll never pay what the book goes for now so that ship sailed.

And the other was Shock Suspenstories 6 in 9.0 (Bethlehem Copy).  It sat on ebay for a long time and I had purchased other books from the same seller that turned out well.  It was $900 or so but would be much more now so, not going to own that either (again not the copy, taken from internet).

Considering I've never spent more than around $1500 on a comic it would have to be something in the $500-$1000 range then that is out of my range now.  Maybe a good midgrade Marvel Mystery 64 or 66.  Possibly bite the bullet take a couple grand and do the Startling Comics 49 mentioned above.

13 hours ago, fishbone said:

Yup    .........  that was a crazy little story between you and Harley, then back to Harley, then to me ....  very nice profit from dirt-cheap Harley price in 2008-ish to 2017 auction sale ........ but still miss it, probably will never be able to replace 

That copy of 31 cost me an Action 13, AF15, and an FF1 :p

9 hours ago, Primetime said:

That copy of 31 cost me an Action 13, AF15, and an FF1 :p

by today's values that would have been a questionable deal

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, fishbone said:

So you only got money back when you returned it, you couldn't get your books back ? 

The AF15/FF1 were available and I should have retrieved those back but I wasn’t thinking straight lol.....the Action was long sold the minute I traded it lol......so I opted for cash. 

17 minutes ago, Primetime said:

Yes, I’d say the 31 in 1.8 today is roughly $30k - $40k less than the trio of books. The A13 and AF15 were both 4.0 and the FF1 was 3.5 with the deepest green colored monster. 

The 1.8 sold for $25,250 in 2017. I'd say closer to 30 (than 40) today as Brittle keeps most away.

Edited by Gotham Kid