• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Biggest over-payment on a comic you've seen?
4 4

78 posts in this topic

"Remember those long boxes of back issues that sat in every brick and mortar for years? Filling virtually the majoroty of floor space? People are "CGC'ing" those books. Books worth zippo with no significance."

Seems like plenty of 9.8s don't sell for the cost of slabbing. It doesn't seem rational to lay out all this money on encapsulation unless there is a clear upside. Looking at recent completed sales and even some decent books don't pay for themselves. And if you figure those 9.8s are actually the product of pre-screens at $5 a pop that resulted in a bunch of rejects the actual cost of those slabs is quite a bit more.

Do we really see the census full of books that aren't going to sell for more than $20-$30?

I get it, someone new to slabbing might make this mistake, but after shelling out all that money I suspect they learn their lesson quickly.

Just by looking at some recent and even older sales on Heritage, I mean, who in the heck would make an offer to the owner on an overbid book? Does the buyer ever think someone down the line is going to come along and offer them double of what they paid? :facepalm:

Some Stan Lee books are so overbid that the buyer thinks this is rare now?

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Read the title, guys!

ltr.jpg.be36863c18a416e7201583d770efb3d6.jpg

Should I list every high grade issue? Because I don't believe listing a single copy does the topic enough justice.

:sumo:

Edited by Rip

1 hour ago, Randall Ries said:

Yeah, it's called "grifting" IMO. The large comic book sellers like Metro, HA and the like along with CGC have determined what will be and how it will be. I could probably make a tidy living if I learned how to spot restoration and had the tools to do so. Because that's really all there should be to it. I am happy to drop my raw books into a sturdy top loader and admire them that way. Unless I have something really rare or noteworthy, I don't do it. I want a nice copy that presents well and is complete. Not a banger. Almost all the brand new books getting 9.8 aren't worth diddly. They probably won't be ever, by and large, unless some character sticks to the wall. What are the odds of that? Remember those long boxes of back issues that sat in every brick and mortar for years? Filling virtually the majoroty of floor space? People are "CGC'ing" those books. Books worth zippo with no significance.

Conversely, I think it's foolish how some people will say "Yah! I wanna READ my copy of Bat 1!" WHAT? WHY? Someone was offering a cracked out Mile High copy of something in the 4 sale section and telling us about it being a Mile High. It won't be for long with that attitude. There was a reason why those were in grand shape. No one was handling them with their Buffalo chicken wings stained fingers and breathing their caffeine breath all over them. Takes an egomaniac to handle rare books like that "just because I want to." Maybe you have too much money and too little common sense. Maybe when you die and the book moves on to someone else, it should still be pristine.

I guess I am saying a book like Bat 1 or All Star 3 SHOULD be graded and encapsulated. And retired. You can read the reprints. Leave the nice books alone.

Grading and the large companies have done what they always do. Start out small at a reasonable price and service. They knock themselves out to ingratiate themselves to their customers. When they grow out of control, quality suffers and everything including "value" goes through the roof. A whole lot of ambiguity walks in through the front door. Then, they start dictating terms that ecome "market standards". Raw books in the same grade neighborhood are MUCH less expensive than their CGC'ed counterparts and even CBCS books are less expensive because - as Pat Thomas points out - CGC is perceived as the final word on grading and they aren't. I have seen absolutely wrong grading pointing both ways in both companies. One isn't better than the other at all. If PGX grades a book as a 10.0 and there is literally no flaw whatsoever on the book anywhere, people will rip it apart not because it's flawless. Because PGX graded it and it can't POSSIBLY be a 10.0. See the same grade in CGC and it's end of story. "That's a 10.0! WOW!"

The collector I like best is the one who proudly displays their raw 3.0 copy of Avengers 4 and declares "I am so happy with this book". Because they love the book and its significance, not the sordid topic of coin that has to be attached to every transaction.

I bought this book not because there were only 300 printed. I bought it because I loved Archie comics when I was a kid. I never laughed so hard in my life. And the obvious homage. And Veronica as a vampire. It's fun. A private joke almost.

I really think HA and things like that are going to do more harm than good for the average collector in the long run. We average collectors always get priced out of our own hobby when speculators come to town. And never leave.

Vampironica Bat 251 Homage.jpg

Someone is an egomaniac if they crack out a Mile High book to see what all the fuss is about?  Really?:facepalm:

2 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Someone is an egomaniac if they crack out a Mile High book to see what all the fuss is about?  Really?:facepalm:

Don't you know that comics cannot be safely handled? If they aren't in a hard plastic case they could be damaged!

35 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Yeah. IMO, they are. Just because one CAN do something doesn't mean one should. If you have a book from the most famous pedigree in the world, why would you crack it out? Just so you can read it because "that's what comics are meant for"? Ridiculous. Think...oh I don't know...if you are Hell bent on reading the issue, why not look for a digital copy or a rat to read? There are only steps down from egomaniac in that case. I was being kind. Fool comes to mind. Also, apathetic. Also no regard for rarity or history because I have a lot of money and can do what I damned well please.

The comment was made that the particular book isn't going to stay in that shape cracked out. People are gonna fawn over it and handle it. Damage WILL be done. But wait! They kept the CGC label! So, when it's sell time, they will have that as PROOF it's part of the Mile High club. So, if it was graded 9.6 and now it looks like a 9.2, bet they will try to sell it as a Mile High 9.6 book. Which it no longer is. And if they DO sell, the buyer may want to resub it and he paid a 9.6 Mile High price for a 9.2 MAYBE Mile High. Now, you have a raw book. If there are no markings to show it's a Mile High, then it ISN'T a Mile High.

I can see "what all the fuss is about" through the front window of a case. A pedigree such as a Mile High designation ought to be kept as safe as possible. Busting out your rare, pristine book just to read is stupid. Really? I buy an 8.0 Bat 1 and first thing I'm doing is breaking it out to read it? Really? Can't find a reprint anywhere? Really? Only other reason to do that is ego and a shade of obstinance and radicalism.

Not sure it is an “over-payment” but I really don’t understand the EPIC price hike between a 9.6 and a 9.8 for Teen Titans #12 (2017), 1st full Batman Who Laughs.... According to GPA earlier this week, a last sale of a 9.6 was $195 and last sale of 9.8 $750 (both sales January 2021).  

Even more static venues, such as BINS at MyComicShop.com have a 9.6 around $350 and a 9.8 around $795... 

No idea what I’m missing... BWL is a freaking cool character, but very modern and no impending cinematic arrival that I am aware of...