• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Biggest over-payment on a comic you've seen?
4 4

78 posts in this topic

I was looking at GPA and saw a New Mutants #98  9.8 Blue just sold for $2575

No disrespect to the buyer (and well done seller!) - but there are heaps out there for $1400+ less

What's the highest outlier that you have seen recently.

I know comics are 'hot' but that's a little, well, high!

Any other examples?

Following thread to see if any of my recent wins makes the list.

It is crazy right now. I just mentioned in the copper thread how high a 9.8 Usagi Yojimbo #1 is on CL. Double highest ever with 5 days to go. 

Edited by PKJ

I dont have too much of an educated opinion, I like the book and all, but a Batman 227 in cgc 9.8 just sold for $30,000, when apparently elsewhere it was available for only $9,000; accordingly,  the $9,000 copy got bumped up to $30,000, when it had sat at $9000 for a long time....

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I dont have too much of an educated opinion, I like the book and all, but a Batman 227 in cgc 9.8 just sold for $30,000, when apparently elsewhere it was available for only $9,000; accordingly,  the $9,000 copy got bumped up to $30,000, when it had sat at $9000 for a long time....

Overnight it got bumped after the HA sale. Obvious cash grab on Metro's part. Another seller bumped their 9.4 to $4500 from $3k overnight as well. A signed by Adams graded 8.0 was on ebay for about 20 minutes for $900 then was gone. But that's a normal price for that.

2 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Overnight it got bumped after the HA sale. Obvious cash grab on Metro's part. Another seller bumped their 9.4 to $4500 from $3k overnight as well. A signed by Adams graded 8.0 was on ebay for about 20 minutes for $900 then was gone. But that's a normal price for that.

Ya I have a 7.5, a well centered good looking copy that I overpaid for at $475, and this was before Ebay started collecting sales tax lol

I just like the book and was on a Neal Adam's kick. Those prices were always in a galaxy far far away for me Haha, but I'll agree that it is "interesting " to reflect on (thumbsu

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ya I have a 7.5, a well centered good looking copy that I overpaid for at $475, and this was before Ebay started collecting sales tax lol

I just like the book and was on a Neal Adam's kick. Those prices were always in a galaxy far far away for me Haha, but I'll agree that it is "interesting " to reflect on (thumbsu

227 is just a weirdo book. I bought a 9.4 4 years ago paying $900. Now it's a $4500 book? Dunno 'bout that.

1 minute ago, Randall Ries said:

227 is just a weirdo book. I bought a 9.4 4 years ago paying $900. Now it's a $4500 book? Dunno 'bout that.

Ya it's a bunch of emotions, you're post strikes me as funny, but it's about a sad reality, that can still bring joy and heartbreak lol

I knew when I bought mine to get the best copy I could, cause eventually DC has to catch up with marvel,  and at the time they were affordable etc

That market made sense to me, and I could pick from books I liked and had interest in. Analyzing this new market to find books I care for is like threading a needle, cause I've only spent more than $500 in a single purchase only like 5 times

So I'm not twis.ted in the wind cause I've accumulated, but the effort is getting harder and to spend that much, well it's just getting hard to find books I care "that much about, that I also still deem affordable when I have to put up more $$"

Like some books and slabs were low on the totem pole and I put them last to get. Most of those didn't imo or for me climb that totem pole just because they cost more if that makes sense

I may still have the level of interest but now that I have to shell out more for a decent copy, it just makes choosing harder, especially as I see high on the totem pole so we'll out of reach.....

Just means more patience to unspoil my self and save for those bigger books, but having something in the mail is a habit and so is having something in the works like a signing; to tell myself to save period is a hassle, and to save for that 3.5 BA book I've always wanted is :ohnoez::pullhair:

But c'est le vie...... It'll eventually happen just got to stay positive and be content till the saving is done lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 hour ago, Beige said:

No disrespect to the buyer (and well done seller!) - but there are heaps out there for $1400+ less

Any other examples?

Is that the one that sold on eBay last week? If so, I believe it was a “newsstand edition.” Should that make it that much more desirable? 

48 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That market made sense to me, and I could pick from books I liked and had interest in. Analyzing this new market to find books I care for is like threading a needle, cause I've only spent more than $500 in a single purchase only like 5 times

So I'm not twis.ted in the wind cause I've accumulated, but the effort is getting harder and to spend that much, well it's just getting hard to find books I care "that much about, that I also still deem affordable when I have to put up more $$"

Yup. My limit was circa $500 up to 2014, and with a better exchange rate, and I was lucky in that a few of my keys are now in the $3k + range; books I’ve no intention of selling, books it’d now be impossible for me to acquire in the same grade and presentation.

However, I’ll leave actually playing around with four-or-five figure sums to the far, far more affluent, frantic or carefree, and restrict myself to a much safer spectator sport game instead.

For me, it’s the only sensible option.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, Beige said:

Any other examples?

That's not much of an overpay. It was the newsstand, they go for over 2K now.

The Bats 227 was an overpay. 
69K for an Avengers 4 9.6 is one of the worst I've seen

Recently it would have to be the Marvel Previews 95 craze. There are going to be some very upset people once they find out how many are really out there.

Edited by Rip

2 hours ago, mrbarlint said:

Is that the one that sold on eBay last week? If so, I believe it was a “newsstand edition.” Should that make it that much more desirable? 

No idea mate - Gpa just has it under the universal 9.8 - no 'newstand' designation.

I have no way to tell sorry.

1 hour ago, Rip said:

69K for an Avengers 4 9.6 is one of the worst I've seen

Recently it would have to be the Marvel Previews 95 craze. There are going to be some very upset people once they find out how many are really out there.

Oh yeah - those Previews buyers are going to be in a world of hurt in 12 months time.

the prices are insane - UF #4 is the book - the volume of sales is showing that.

I too am curious what others think are being overpaid for in today's market.  

Some I would consider crazy would be almost any of the Star Wars Books or Pokemon Cards.. I mean WOW.. :ohnoez:

This is a dark thought, but that Batman 227 for $30k looks like market manipulation.

It happens all the time in the fine art world.

A collector with 5 pieces from a certain artist will auction one and have a ring of bidders shill it up to a ridiculous price.

That new sale price becomes the benchmark value for the collector's other pieces, and with the new demand, those pieces then sell for a similarly ridiculous price.