• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time flies in this hobby... such as...
1 1

51 posts in this topic

Here's a crazy one, since I'm "valiantman".

Valiant Comics has now existed in five decades, not counting Dell and Gold Key earlier Dr. Solar, Magnus, and Turok.

Valiant was created by Voyager Communications in 1989 - the 1980s

Valiant sold 80,000,000 comics during the 1990s

Valiant/Acclaim went bankrupt and was sold/restarted with some hardcover reprints during the 2000s

Valiant returned to publishing in 2012 and throughout the 2010s

Valiant published multiple books in 2020 and another this month to start the 2020s

Just now, Mercury Man said:

Not hobby related, but there is a video out there, from very early 1900's Manchester, England, showing factory workers walking on streets, and little kids milling about etc.  Somebody pointed out, there are people in that video who either were alive when Napolean got defeated at Waterloo, and there were people in that video who could have seen the Beatles play in the Cavern Club in Liverpool.   Kind of time-trippy. 

I believe that cause my great grandfather's great grandfather fought in the napoleon war, failed to hold a bridge and retreated, went and laid down his sword to the general and the general told him pick it up he did the right thing (thumbsu

8 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Here's a crazy one, since I'm "valiantman".

Valiant Comics has now existed in five decades, not counting Dell and Gold Key earlier Dr. Solar, Magnus, and Turok.

Valiant was created by Voyager Communications in 1989 - the 1980s

Valiant sold 80,000,000 comics during the 1990s

Valiant/Acclaim went bankrupt and was sold/restarted with some hardcover reprints during the 2000s

Valiant returned to publishing in 2012 and throughout the 2010s

Valiant published multiple books in 2020 and another this month to start the 2020s

This a true comic publisher story right there!  Rags, riches, and back for another run at it.

80,000,000 books is crazy.  I was there, and they were huge, topping the mighty marvel machine at times for hype, and excitement around their books.   

3 minutes ago, Microchip said:

This a true comic publisher story right there!  Rags, riches, and back for another run at it.

80,000,000 books is crazy.  I was there, and they were huge, topping the mighty marvel machine at times for hype, and excitement around their books.   

The best Valiant ever did on the monthly sales charts was #3 behind Marvel and DC, but my own collection in the early 1990s had more Valiant than any other company. (thumbsu

Edited by valiantman

All kidding aside, time really does fly as I bought my first comic 37 years ago.:tonofbricks:

Just now, valiantman said:

The best Valiant ever did on the monthly sales charts was #3 behind Marvel and DC, but my own collection in the early 1990s had more Valiant than any other company. (thumbsu

From the collectors view, their books were red hot for so long, because they got it right.  Titles, artists and stories were top notch, even their book quality stood out.  

And they were the first of the era to have obscure hard to find issues.   For collectors, they had all the right ingredients.  The irony is that I personally didn't collect them, as I "missed the boat" when they hit the market.   Playing catchup was outside of my budget at the time.

I bought my first comic online around 2001 or 2002 (my dad did for me, as I was underage and could not set up an account). I remember it was a lot of PPTSS with some early issues including a ragged copy of issue 3. I got it for 99 cents with like $5-6 shipping for a dozen comics. 

That was 18+ years ago...more than half my life ago!