• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grader notes, for all comics or just when it hits a certain number or below?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Newbie here.  Just received my first submission back from CGC.  Good news, all items were a 9.0 or higher except for one.  The one that came back as an 8.0 had notes, however that was the only one.  If it rates a 9.0 or higher is the assumption that it falls in a somewhat exclusive club and doesn't need or require a grader note?  

Graders notes.JPG

On 2/13/2021 at 3:29 PM, Jfend72 said:

Hi all,

Newbie here.  Just received my first submission back from CGC.  Good news, all items were a 9.0 or higher except for one.  The one that came back as an 8.0 had notes, however that was the only one.  If it rates a 9.0 or higher is the assumption that it falls in a somewhat exclusive club and doesn't need or require a grader note?  

Graders notes.JPG

There can be notes for 9.0s. 9.6 and off usually don't. If I were you, I would contact CGC to check what's going on.

On 2/13/2021 at 3:29 PM, Jfend72 said:

It could just be the need for speed... 

Well, apparently its up the grader and the notes are "not required" and "vary from grader to grader".  I'm guessing where CGC turnaround times are growing exponentially that to move items through the process they might be spending less time in areas such as grader's notes.

From Customer Service,

"Grader Notes are made at the graders' discretion; they are not a guaranteed part of the service but are provided as a courtesy to paid members and dealers when available. Often, they may not be entirely comprehensive or give a 100% accurate description of the defects and the notes vary from grader to grader. 
Multiple professionals examine every collectible to ensure accuracy and consistency.  I am sorry that no grader notes were taken on your item.  The grader notes are not required nor a guaranteed part of the grading service.  Since no notes were taken by the grading team, there is no further information I can provide to you regarding the grade of your item.  I apologize for any inconvenience.  

Frustrating as I've looked at a few of the books and I cannot find an issue or difference between a 9.0 and 9.6 of the same issue.  Would be nice to get some feedback, especially paying $20 a book plus the wait time included.

On 2/15/2021 at 7:14 AM, The Lions Den said:

It could just be the need for speed... 

I think you are exactly right.  Where its not required and they are I'm sure at maximum capacity it's not a priority.  At least add it as a paid option for like the labels, "fast tracking", pressing, etc.  

8 hours ago, Jfend72 said:

I think you are exactly right.  Where its not required and they are I'm sure at maximum capacity it's not a priority.  At least add it as a paid option for like the labels, "fast tracking", pressing, etc.  

Just an FYI, the differences between grades in the 9.0 and up range are usually going to be pretty minor. A finger dent or two, a few light spine stress lines, corners being blunted instead of sharp, a small indent crease on the edge of the book, etc. You may not be able to see these things when the book is in the holder, but flaws like this are often the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.0...