• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Movie or tv show you should watch at least once
3 3

951 posts in this topic

I mentioned the gorgeous cinematography of Hero and Sin City , but this one has just as beautiful imagery as those and you could also add almost all of Robin Williams work to the list.20210311_210210.jpg.c672ae631af50701dc37adbe6c054413.jpg

20 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Two more for any that have not seen them or for rewatching . 20210311_210111.jpg.6a48ca6da04277d582addb2daa9cd1a3.jpg20210311_210053.jpg.55544de6b44dfc551b6efe4e4027b35c.jpg

two good ones (I thought the lights on the Coccoon poster were going to be Close Encounters, a classic)

I saw Contact in the theatres on vacation with my parents and brothers family. Everyone else hated it...where are the aliens? I loved it. It doesn't hurt that her father is played by David Morse (from the movie INside Moves I posted earlier which I loved as a kid. Jodie Foster is great in the role and quite beautiful in some scenes. And I am comfortable in my heterosexuality but Matthew never looked better either.

But my favorite scenes are the ones with John Hurt! So good in this. "you've cracked the code!?!" "clever girl"

13 minutes ago, Bird said:

two good ones (I thought the lights on the Coccoon poster were going to be Close Encounters, a classic)

I saw Contact in the theatres on vacation with my parents and brothers family. Everyone else hated it...where are the aliens? I loved it. It doesn't hurt that her father is played by David Morse (from the movie INside Moves I posted earlier which I loved as a kid. Jodie Foster is great in the role and quite beautiful in some scenes. And I am comfortable in my heterosexuality but Matthew never looked better either.

But my favorite scenes are the ones with John Hurt! So good in this. "you've cracked the code!?!" "clever girl"

I do believe you covered just about everything that I would have said about Contact. :cloud9:

2 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I will take it back to some older classics. 20210311_210126.jpg.54a4cf0d70f62f5e79802333232aa942.jpg20210311_210141.jpg.ebbd6612a256f3fd93a167ea4bd533b3.jpg20210311_194635.thumb.jpg.44b3220814207817e366f0aab93e0457.jpg

I do not think I have seen All About Eve. The other two are insanely well made movies. 'SCOUT'

so all about eve & the del toro one from criterion are possibilties for this weekend viewing! A few others in here too.

Edited by Bird

17 minutes ago, Bird said:

I do not think I have seen All About Eve. The other two are insanely well made movies. 'SCOUT'

so all about eve & the del toro one from criterion are possibilties for this weekend viewing! A few others in here too.

Yes the all are definitely well made movies. :cloud9:

Stephen King was mentioned earlier, but I let it slip. Now here are two of his that deserve to me mentioned. 

220px-The_Green_Mile_(movie_poster).jpg.b0476c7da91ac7178bbd974b2da05ff5.jpg20210311_225020.thumb.jpg.798f2293fe3b95125ac5543672136aea.jpg

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

Absolute must watch, the greatest trilogy ever...

Amazon.com: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Widescreen Theatrical Edition):  Elijah Wood: Movies & TV

2 hours ago, Bird said:

wifey and I went to see Barton Fink when we were a'courtin' and have loved their work ever since. I can get excited about most of them, although not so much Ladykillers (its growing on me) and Man who wasn't there (gotta rewatch again perhaps). But the one I love and wifey is bleh on is Intolerable Cruelty...I think it is brilliant. Clooney enjoys playing the fool in the Coen movies and he does it so well, and I think Tom Hanks tried too hard to do something similar in Ladykillers. Clooney clearly doesn't take himself too seriously which is on clear display in his work in O Brother and Intolerable Cruelty.

Just thinking about this again and do not know how I didn't mention this one as well. lol

The_Men_Who_Stare_at_Goats_poster.jpg.bc81e76ee83e598ba0946e183457f1fd.jpg

3 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Just thinking about this again and do not know how I didn't mention this one as well. lol

This movie is so surprisingly funny and nuts that it had real events baked into a fictional story.

Psychic Spies, Acid Guinea Pigs, New Age Soldiers: the True Men Who Stare at Goats

One heck of a great cast too. :applause:

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

This movie is so surprisingly funny and nuts that it had real events baked into a fictional story.

Psychic Spies, Acid Guinea Pigs, New Age Soldiers: the True Men Who Stare at Goats

One heck of a great cast too. :applause:

That is precisely why when I read back through the thread I had to add that one in.  So many really good films just kinda lurking.  Like this tale of Psy-Ops. lol

8 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

The title is not really speaking to me i hope its not what it seems to implie lol

14 hours ago, Bird said:

wifey and I went to see Barton Fink when we were a'courtin' and have loved their work ever since. I can get excited about most of them, although not so much Ladykillers (its growing on me) and Man who wasn't there (gotta rewatch again perhaps). But the one I love and wifey is bleh on is Intolerable Cruelty...I think it is brilliant. Clooney enjoys playing the fool in the Coen movies and he does it so well, and I think Tom Hanks tried too hard to do something similar in Ladykillers. Clooney clearly doesn't take himself too seriously which is on clear display in his work in O Brother and Intolerable Cruelty.

Coen Brothers are one of my favorites still actively making films , my hit list being :

O brother where art thou, fargo, big Lebowski ,blood simple, raising Arizona , millers crossing, true grit - and my personal fave : no country for old men

35 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Coen Brothers are one of my favorites still actively making films , my hit list being :

O brother where art thou, fargo, big Lebowski ,blood simple, raising Arizona , millers crossing, true grit - and my personal fave : no country for old men

True Grit bugs me as I said earlier, I am a big John Wayne fan and I thought many of the characters were playing the earlier versions of themeselves. They use the same speech rhythms and such and I found that lazy, a great example is Strother Martin (failure to communicate actor for those who do onot know the name) has a role and the new version actor tries to sound like him I thought. Same with Hallie Stanfeld, I thought she was too close to the earlier version. And Jeff Bridges too.

Millers Crossing is one I should see again. I also only saw men who watched goats once, will give it another viewing. Burn Before Reading is growing on me, Pitt is trying too hard to be quirky in that one IMO.

AND WHAT, NO BARTON FINK? This was an early favorite but on rewatching the ending drives me crazy...absolutely no resolution to the story and it only leaves open questions. But a wonderfully acted movie, Turturro is amazing (waking up screaming, dacing away like a lunatic, etc.)

43 minutes ago, Bird said:

True Grit bugs me as I said earlier, I am a big John Wayne fan and I thought many of the characters were playing the earlier versions of themeselves. They use the same speech rhythms and such and I found that lazy, a great example is Strother Martin (failure to communicate actor for those who do onot know the name) has a role and the new version actor tries to sound like him I thought. Same with Hallie Stanfeld, I thought she was too close to the earlier version. And Jeff Bridges too.

Millers Crossing is one I should see again. I also only saw men who watched goats once, will give it another viewing. Burn Before Reading is growing on me, Pitt is trying too hard to be quirky in that one IMO.

AND WHAT, NO BARTON FINK? This was an early favorite but on rewatching the ending drives me crazy...absolutely no resolution to the story and it only leaves open questions. But a wonderfully acted movie, Turturro is amazing (waking up screaming, dacing away like a lunatic, etc.)

I gotta watch Barton Fink again .  As a fellow NJian - you’ll appreciate Burn After Reading’s “ gym scenes “ were  filmed at the former Tower Records in Paramus