• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Movie or tv show you should watch at least once
3 3

951 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Capn17 said:

Some other movies (not sure have been added or not).

Army of Darkness

See the source image

Batman: Year One
See the source image

Blue Thunder

See the source image

Good Morning Vietnam

See the source image

Heat

See the source image

Léon: The Professional

See the source image

Ronin

See the source image

Great stuff here , Ronin is largely forgotten - but a very good lower budget heist . Heat is THE standard for bank robbery movies ( “ the town “ does a great job a decade plus later ) and Leon is amazing !

Army of Darkness is awesome incarnate ...

really a great list !

Edited by Old_Man_Adam

4 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

Kathy Bates Oscar winning  performance is a must-see. 

76C1E68D-5F84-4DCC-B681-632BED87D01E.jpeg

Most of Stephen King's movie are worth a watch as well, although the books are better , and they are long. Still there are longer movies out there. 20210311_194708.thumb.jpg.1ff657b9210a2a0a246a4fb31b27b573.jpg20210311_195501.thumb.jpg.cb1816b37d8ba85ed44aa95a0592d530.jpg20210311_195512.thumb.jpg.5c7b3f68444b8cf7b6085ff5c6e36bf6.jpg

2 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Great stuff here , Ronin is largely forgotten - but a very good lower budget heist . Heat is THE standard for bank robbery movies ( “ the town “ does a great job a decade plus later ) and Leon is amazing !

Army of Darkness is awesome incarnate ...

really a great list !

I've watched Ronin, Leon, and Heat so many times.  (Granted there are some scenes in Heat with Al Pacino I fast forward - family scenes - but love the movie).

34 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Good choice!

The Cohen Brothers in my opinion did many good films. 

Hudsucker Proxy, Ladykillers, O' Brother Where Art Thou?, and so many more. I would definitely recommend giving most of their movies a watch. 

wifey and I went to see Barton Fink when we were a'courtin' and have loved their work ever since. I can get excited about most of them, although not so much Ladykillers (its growing on me) and Man who wasn't there (gotta rewatch again perhaps). But the one I love and wifey is bleh on is Intolerable Cruelty...I think it is brilliant. Clooney enjoys playing the fool in the Coen movies and he does it so well, and I think Tom Hanks tried too hard to do something similar in Ladykillers. Clooney clearly doesn't take himself too seriously which is on clear display in his work in O Brother and Intolerable Cruelty.

20 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Ronin is largely forgotten - but a very good lower budget heist

I once saw the video of them shooting the car chase and it completely ruined it for me. Every car is going very slow except for the chase cars. Good movie though, yes.

but if you want a great chase, history says this was the best at the time at least!

220px-The_Seven-Ups_1973.jpg 

or was it this one  ;-)

51K7T6QP3QL._AC_SY445_.jpg

too much Roy Sheider!

someone listed Blue Thunder earlier (I enjoyed it a lot) and here is another all time great movie with Roy in a bit part..."is it safe?"

Marathon_man.jpg

20 minutes ago, Capn17 said:

I've watched Ronin, Leon, and Heat so many times.  (Granted there are some scenes in Heat with Al Pacino I fast forward - family scenes - but love the movie).

I encourage you to see Gloria if you haven't, it inspired Leon directly. NOT the Sharon Stone remake, the one directed by Cassavettes. A superior film. So effin' good, really.

1 hour ago, Namtak said:

I dont know the english name,somethin knob broomstick great one for Kids of all ages,great fx for the time too

51xe82VQ8iL._AC_.jpg

this is so weird to me, Sorcerer's Apprentice is an earlier Disney movie with Mickey, seems confusing but I only had high school French!

1 minute ago, Bird said:

I encourage you to see Gloria if you haven't, it inspired Leon directly. NOT the Sharon Stone remake, the one directed by Cassavettes. A superior film. So effin' good, really.

I hadn't heard of that movie.  I'll check it out.  Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Bird said:

I once saw the video of them shooting the car chase and it completely ruined it for me. Every car is going very slow except for the chase cars. Good movie though, yes.

but if you want a great chase, history says this was the best at the time at least!

220px-The_Seven-Ups_1973.jpg 

or was it this one  ;-)

51K7T6QP3QL._AC_SY445_.jpg

too much Roy Sheider!

someone listed Blue Thunder earlier (I enjoyed it a lot) and here is another all time great movie with Roy in a bit part..."is it safe?"

Marathon_man.jpg

I've never watched the Marathon Man movie, but loved the book.  Another movie I'll have to check out.

obviously my favorite thread @Namtak! I feel like I am bombarding the thread so sorry for the volume!

One more before bed (I am 54 and go to bed early! If I wasn't I wouldn't have so many old movies to recommend!!!)

I love this movie, I can even understand Brad Pitt in it!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7Hi3ThNLimq1gdEB45Do

Edited by Bird

14 minutes ago, Bird said:

this is so weird to me, Sorcerer's Apprentice is an earlier Disney movie with Mickey, seems confusing but I only had high school French!

Yuore right that is what it say ,when they dub the title they choose sometime can be confusing

2 minutes ago, Namtak said:

Yuore right that is what it say ,when they dub the title they choose sometime can be confusing

but what do they call the sorcerer's apprentice up there? boutons de lit et balais? (google translate did that, not high school french) that is why it confuses me? I am not being snarky, please understand (shrug)

okay, pulled back in so here's wifey's suggestion, again forget the remake

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTY_Ogf6AaLXErcyxI7EC2

I have fond memories of Montreal from a visit when I was about 5, that would have been 1971. ???

and I am upset no one else has seconded my vow to watch someone else recommendation this weekend! 

what would I do without this place! Again, thanks for the thread @Namtak I was really down on this place last weekend and this has been so much fun

36 minutes ago, Bird said:

wifey and I went to see Barton Fink when we were a'courtin' and have loved their work ever since. I can get excited about most of them, although not so much Ladykillers (its growing on me) and Man who wasn't there (gotta rewatch again perhaps). But the one I love and wifey is bleh on is Intolerable Cruelty...I think it is brilliant. Clooney enjoys playing the fool in the Coen movies and he does it so well, and I think Tom Hanks tried too hard to do something similar in Ladykillers. Clooney clearly doesn't take himself too seriously which is on clear display in his work in O Brother and Intolerable Cruelty.

I definitely agree on all of this. Some of their movies do take a few watches to grow on you and yeah Tom is hard to watch in Ladykillers.  

18 minutes ago, Bird said:

obviously my favorite thread @Namtak! I feel like I am bombarding the thread so sorry for the volume!

One more before bed (I am 54 and go to bed early! If I wasn't I wouldn't have so many old movies to recommend!!!)

I love this movie, I can even understand Brad Pitt in it!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7Hi3ThNLimq1gdEB45Do

I had this on my list to share. Glad you did..

Brad Pitt , " She's a tad bit partial to the periwinkle blue" :roflmao:

Anything to declare?  " Yeah don't go to England." :roflmao:

Definitely a good movie. I would also recommend. MV5BMTAyN2JmZmEtNjAyMy00NzYwLThmY2MtYWQ3OGNhNjExMmM4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3NzU2MTQ@._V1_.thumb.jpg.9c34899bf1f52e0369ed6f2bf7941925.jpg

11 minutes ago, Bird said:

and I am upset no one else has seconded my vow to watch someone else recommendation this weekend! 

what would I do without this place! Again, thanks for the thread @Namtak I was really down on this place last weekend and this has been so much fun

I definitely will second it and watch what others have reccomend.  Although truth be told it is only a couple so far that I have not seen.( Those are on my to watch list now.) 

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite