• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New IRS reporting for 2021?
8 8

559 posts in this topic

On 1/25/2023 at 2:08 PM, MB1952 said:

I sold over $600 last year on Bay, trying to find tax forms 1099-k I see eBay indicates there's no forms for me? 

It was suspended in legislation until next year (thumbsu so expect one, unless it changes again, next year for 2023 (thumbsu

On 12/24/2022 at 1:17 PM, awakeintheashes said:

On 1/25/2023 at 2:08 PM, MB1952 said:

I sold over $600 last year on Bay, trying to find tax forms 1099-k I see eBay indicates there's no forms for me? 

On 1/25/2023 at 2:16 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It was suspended in legislation until next year (thumbsu so expect one, unless it changes again, next year for 2023 (thumbsu

On 1/25/2023 at 4:22 PM, MB1952 said:

so, this also applies the rest of the platforms. Like mercari,poshmark,whatnot? thanks

Ya I'm not translating, but wanted to double check myself so I quoted the link so you can determine :cheers:

Only meant to say check with the taxman, but should explain why you haven't got nor.found a 1099.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/26/2023 at 9:51 AM, Robot Man said:

The deadline for tax forms is end of Jan. I have not received anything by mail or email. Nor can I find anything on eBay or my PayPal account. Does this mean I shouldn’t worry about it this year? 

Read the links three posts above your last :cheers:

On 12/24/2022 at 1:17 PM, awakeintheashes said:

On 1/26/2023 at 9:51 AM, Robot Man said:

The deadline for tax forms is end of Jan. I have not received anything by mail or email. Nor can I find anything on eBay or my PayPal account. Does this mean I shouldn’t worry about it this year? 

On 1/26/2023 at 10:51 AM, Robot Man said:

My recollection is that no 1099 will be issued if sales are below $20k.  All profits from sales, regardless of amount, still must be added to your gross income though. 

On 1/26/2023 at 10:51 AM, Robot Man said:

My 1099 for Paypal just became available a day or so ago. I checked a couple weeks earlier and they weren't there yet. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

So I received a 1099 from eBay for the first time this year and I'm confused.  My sales were a bit under 20k but for some reason, eBay is calculating my sales and adding their fees bumping me above 20k.  Is this normal?  Why would I pay taxes on their fees? 

On 1/30/2023 at 8:31 PM, Beastfeast said:

So I received a 1099 from eBay for the first time this year and I'm confused.  My sales were a bit under 20k but for some reason, eBay is calculating my sales and adding their fees bumping me above 20k.  Is this normal?  Why would I pay taxes on their fees? 

As in the initial sale was $100+12.9% (so $112.90), or the sale was $100 and they're counting it as $100 regardless of the 12.9% ($87.10)? If it's the second one, it's up to you to deduct those fees from your business expenses. They also tack on any returns you accrued.

Edited by Tnexus

On 1/30/2023 at 10:31 PM, Beastfeast said:

I'm a little confused about this as well. Ebay final value fees are deducted from the sale price, correct? The buyer doesn't pay any extra so how would ebay fees result in a higher gross. Is it shipping cost that's included? 

My 1099 arrived broken out for each month. What started as hobby has now become a business and my accountant has advised me to now total all 2022 purchases, sales, materials (tape, paper, ink, gas to PO, etc.).

If I bought a book for $400 and sold it 3 months later for $500 with free shipping, how do they determine the net?

On 1/31/2023 at 6:06 PM, Ryan. said:

Sale price minus purchase price minus shipping minus fees equals net.

Do you have to prove with receipts, etc., what you originally paid for the item?  How does it work if you've had books for a long time and no proof of what you paid?

On 1/31/2023 at 6:19 PM, s-man said:

Do you have to prove with receipts, etc., what you originally paid for the item?  How does it work if you've had books for a long time and no proof of what you paid?

No proof. Make your best guess.