• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you grade?
4 4

71 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

PGX

Too tight. The grade I gave myself was, perhaps, a little optimistic, more likely a Mile High NM, or real world 4.0, which would be in line with my pitiful grading attempts here on the boards.

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Too tight. The grade I gave myself was, perhaps, a little optimistic, more likely a Mile High NM, or real world 4.0, which would be in line with my pitiful grading attempts here on the boards.

I'm more like a restored book with pages constantly married to my ever growing azz...probably missing a coupon or two in the noggin

4 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

I'm more like a restored book with pages constantly married to my ever growing azz...probably missing a coupon or two in the noggin

Thinking about it, I did break my arm and had a screw put in it, and later removed, of course, so that counts as restoration.

As with comics, pristine condition becomes rare with time. Few of us are blue labels.

Edited by Ken Aldred

24 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Thinking about it, I did break my arm and had a screw put in it, and later removed, of course, so that counts as restoration.

As with comics, pristine condition becomes rare with time. Few of us are blue labels.

I definitely know some Green Labels...

2 hours ago, catman76 said:

I don't and I don't care about made up grading scales. If I can handle it and read it without it crumbling to dust then it's good to me.

I suppose that's fine if you never buy or sell anything. (shrug)

So for me I’ve used countless grading books and other visual references. I spent a full two years as just a lurker to these forums before I ever officially signed up and made my first post. I constantly viewed the “Hey Buddy can you spare a grade?” to test my ability and especially looked for ones where people posted the results. Heck I still view that thread to make sure my grading is as good as it can be when assessing my own books.

When I grade one of my own books, I go over it front and back and check the centrefold and ensure completeness. Takes me all of a minute or two to assign a general range (ex 4.0-5.0) and then I try to hone in on where I think it falls exactly and note that for my reference. If I am selling a book I know others may be harsher than I so I include lots of pictures and always try to give a lower grade or a range. So if I think it is a 9.0, I’ll call it an 8.0-8.5 if selling. Just to ensure I don’t have unhappy customers and (knocks head on wooden table) in 20 years of selling (I sell maybe 100-200 comics a year), I’ve never had a complaint. 

That’s how I grade. Good lighting is important, just a strong overhead light to really see imperfections.

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Not that I don’t love them and have quite a few real high grade books, but I have never been a mint freak. I am also a GA guy. Often, any grade is better than nothing...

With GCG current standards at the moment, I am loving books in their 5.0-8.0 range. Can get some real nice books at decent prices if I am patient. 

Same here. For many GA books, an 8.0 is a high grade 

7 hours ago, Bird said:
  1. So how do you grade?

I'm a Renaissance man. My grading system is based on the Fibonacci series, just like the building of the great cathedrals of the Renaissance! So my sweet spot is 60.8  I'm almost certain that's the way Da Vinci would have graded his comics too. 

Dav.jpeg

Edited by James J Johnson