• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which of the 4 Marvel's major universes have more key issues, FF vs X-Men vs Spider-Man vs Avengers?
1 1

51 posts in this topic

When I mean by key is that major events or iconic characters, so for example for Fantastic Four: FF1, 5, 13, 25, 48, 49, 52

Spider-Man: AF15, SM1, 3, 14, 42, 50, 129, 300

I'm no expert, so that's all that I can think of on the top of my head for FF and Spider-Man. I"m not too familiar with X-Men or Avengers key issues.

13 minutes ago, JTD said:

You are missing a lot of them...I guess “major” and “iconic” are subjective though...

Yes, it's subjective....Dr. Doom or Galactus I understand, they are iconic, but Ronan??? c'mon. I know he appeared in one of FF issue, I don't remember which, but I just don't think he's iconic enough to be considered key.

Another example, FF94, this issue was never key as late as last year, I could've gotten this for cheap.......but then all of a sudden it's a key, because .....avoiding spoiler.........a streaming TV show features a character, and this character first appeared in FF94. Excuse me?!?? Just because a minor character appears in streaming show for a secondary character (not even a blockbuster movie for a primary character) now the issue is 'key' and everyone jacked up the issue price 1000%....

Same way I don't consider lizard or sandman as iconic characters in Spider-Man. 

X-men and Spider-Man universe has an insane amount of keys. Probably x-men. They have so many teams that resonate in pop culture today. Gold. Blue. Force. Factor.new mutants. Etc.. 

none of them have needed Movies or shows to be popular.  

however spidey universe has so many key books like wos #118, they can be be easily overlooked.

X-men keys are all super liquid during summer time convention season especially if an x-men artist or writer like Claremont is in attendance.

alas my opinion is subjective, but not many universes can compete with spidey and mutants for beloved keys. 

I guess the question would be what exact titles we are comparing. ASM might not have quite as many keys as UXM but as a whole the spidey universe might be neck and neck with the x-men universe. 

13 minutes ago, sonicyouth1 said:

X-men and Spider-Man universe has an insane amount of keys. Probably x-men. They have so many teams that resonate in pop culture today. Gold. Blue. Force. Factor.new mutants. Etc.. 

none of them have needed Movies or shows to be popular.  

however spidey universe has so many key books like wos #118, they can be be easily overlooked.

X-men keys are all super liquid during summer time convention season especially if an x-men artist or writer like Claremont is in attendance.

alas my opinion is subjective, but not many universes can compete with spidey and mutants for beloved keys. 

I guess the question would be what exact titles we are comparing. ASM might not have quite as many keys as UXM but as a whole the spidey universe might be neck and neck with the x-men universe. 

I've never been a big X-Men fan, that's why I'm not familiar with the comics. Only X-Men I care is Wolverine, and his first appearance is not even in X-Men series

4 minutes ago, sonicyouth1 said:

I forgot to ask lol

what about books like Captain America #6 (1st winter soldier)  Is that key a part of the “avengers universe”? A 
or are we strictly referencing the avengers title only

thanks!

yeah.....Avengers's 'keys' are a bit hard to group, because each of key their members have prominent series, and those series have their own keys ....and none of their key members even started in Avengers main series... *scratches head*

16 minutes ago, god503 said:

Spidy all the way....  Lots of key 1st appearances...

But most of them are for minor characters though, sandman, lizard, vulture.....The key issues from Spidey universe with major characters are Punisher and Venom

It's hard to argue sandman, lizard, vulture are in the same class as Punisher, Venom, ...or FF's Dr. Doom, Galactus, Silver Surfer, Black Panther

Same with X-Men, most of the 1st appearances are minor characters.....

For the amount of Keys Amazing Spider-man wins hands down. FF has some big ones under issue 55 but after that it drys up fast.

Spider-Man may have Marvels deepest most popular villain roster. 
Venom, Carnage, Kingpin, Sandman, Vuture, Scorpion, Electro, Lizard, Kraven, Mysterio, Chameleon, Rhino, Hob-Goblin, Shocker, Green Goblin, Doc Ock.

Plus you have the Death of Green Goblin story, Punisher, Morbius, Black-Cat, and others.

Edited by Rip

14 minutes ago, Rip said:

For the amount of Keys Amazing Spider-man wins hands down. FF has some big ones under issue 55 but after that it drys up fast.

Spider-Man may have Marvels deepest more popular villain roster. 
Venom, Carnage, Kingpin, Sandman, Vuture, Scorpion, Electro, Lizard, Kraven, Mysterio, Chameleon, Rhino, Hob-Goblin, Shocker, Green Goblin, Doc Ock.

Plus you have the Death of Green Goblin story, Punisher, Morbius, Black-Cat, and others.

oh yeah, forgot about Morbius, he has his own comic series and gonna get his own movie, that makes him a major character....

I think Punisher, Venom, Carnage, Morbius, Green Goblin, Doc Oc, Kingpin are major characters, the rest of them are minor villains...

Edited by IronMan_Cave

49 minutes ago, IronMan_Cave said:

But most of them are for minor characters though, sandman, lizard, vulture.....The key issues from Spidey universe with major characters are Punisher and Venom

It's hard to argue sandman, lizard, vulture are in the same class as Punisher, Venom, ...or FF's Dr. Doom, Galactus, Silver Surfer, Black Panther

Same with X-Men, most of the 1st appearances are minor characters.....

Maybe I'm saying this because I am thinking about spending major coin on a copy of Amazing Spider-Man 4 this week but... Sandman a minor character? Yeah he isn't pulling strings like Doom or Norman Osborn but Sandman has been a constant in the Marvel universe since his introduction. He's taken on everyone. And they've all whooped him up but we've seen Sandman against almost every major Marvel hero... I think he stands a bit apart from Lizard, Vulture, etc... even though those are classics with very important first apps!

:sumo:

5 minutes ago, BoogieWoogie said:

Maybe I'm saying this because I am thinking about spending major coin on a copy of Amazing Spider-Man 4 this week but... Sandman a minor character? Yeah he isn't pulling strings like Doom or Norman Osborn but Sandman has been a constant in the Marvel universe since his introduction. He's taken on everyone. And they've all whooped him up but we've seen Sandman against almost every major Marvel hero... I think he stands a bit apart from Lizard, Vulture, etc... even though those are classics with very important first apps!

:sumo:

I know I'm gonna get roasted here, but yes I think Sandman is minor....

4 minutes ago, Rip said:

Sinister Six rip:sorry:

c'mon you know SS is lame :roflmao:

4 hours ago, IronMan_Cave said:

Yes, it's subjective....Dr. Doom or Galactus I understand, they are iconic, but Ronan??? c'mon. I know he appeared in one of FF issue, I don't remember which, but I just don't think he's iconic enough to be considered key.

Another example, FF94, this issue was never key as late as last year, I could've gotten this for cheap.......but then all of a sudden it's a key, because .....avoiding spoiler.........a streaming TV show features a character, and this character first appeared in FF94. Excuse me?!?? Just because a minor character appears in streaming show for a secondary character (not even a blockbuster movie for a primary character) now the issue is 'key' and everyone jacked up the issue price 1000%....

Same way I don't consider lizard or sandman as iconic characters in Spider-Man. 

hm We've seen first appearances of any character in the Marvel Universe blow up when they're included in a TV show or Movie.  FF94 is more of the same.  And certainly, Sandman, Harkness, or any villain isn't as important as Spider-man or any major hero but they're still important.  I guess the question we should be asking ourselves is 'which characters haven't been developed for TV or Movies and are still affordable'?

Just now, thehumantorch said:

hm We've seen first appearances of any character in the Marvel Universe blow up when they're included in a TV show or Movie.  FF94 is more of the same.  And certainly, Sandman, Harkness, or any villain isn't as important as Spider-man or any major hero but they're still important.  I guess the question we should be asking ourselves is 'which characters haven't been developed for TV or Movies and are still affordable'?

Is this a spec thread or is this about which characters are major to the storylines? Like there are keys that don't have a ton of room to move up... most villains like you said... but they're still very important keys and fixtures in the books even if an MCU appearance might not do much for ASM4 which is mature.

If it's more spec... still Spidey IMO. Spidey has more major supporting characters and allies left to introduce. Black Cat is popular enough to lead her own film eventually(notice they're building more of a universe for Black Cat in the comics so that there are stories to mine for such a project...), then there are all of the Bugle folks that look to be coming and Spidey DOES have a villain or two that will majorly move the needle when they appear in the MCU... when we see Daredevil Kingpin will not be far behind and Kingpin will be in several MCU projects just like Thanos and Kang but on the street side. ASM50 is one key that I think has plenty of room actually, need to find my copy sooner than later...

Spider-Man 100%

I don't even think I'd be out of line saying the first 100 Spidey issues have more keys then the entire run of the other series with FF a far second. You could even go as far as saying most spidey keys are as equally important as say FF 48,49,52 for example Spidey 3, 13,14,15 and I'm not even mentioning vulture,,scorpion,shocker, rhino, Kingpin, and ASM 50 might be the most iconic key cover out of. The only book in my opinion that rivals the rest is FF 5. But I mean obviously X-Men 1, Hulk 1, FF 1, but Spidey didn't appear in ASM 1 so there is that....am I out of line?

Edited by Hollywood1892