• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$5.99?
2 2

198 posts in this topic

I haven’t bought a monthly floppy comic in a few years except a couple impulse purchases when taking the kid to the LCS for a trade for good grades or whatever. And then for years before that I had an online pull list, first with... forgot the name, but they had trash service and screwed me on any hot comic that came out. Moved it to DCBS and loved the prices but hated the layout. Then I just plain ran out of room for moderns.

6 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

I haven’t bought a monthly floppy comic in a few years except a couple impulse purchases when taking the kid to the LCS for a trade for good grades or whatever. And then for years before that I had an online pull list, first with... forgot the name, but they had trash service and screwed me on any hot comic that came out. Moved it to DCBS and loved the prices but hated the layout. Then I just plain ran out of room for moderns.

There's plenty of SA and BA books you can buy for 5.99.
Heck I was buying lower grade FF annual 6 and thor 134 as well as strange adv in the 100-140s for $5 not that long ago.  Now look at em.

19 hours ago, ttfitz said:
22 hours ago, Cliff R. said:

Most things I buy today cost about 10 times more than they cost in my youth.  Some more, some less.  The price of a comic is 50 times more.

I don't think it's because of higher printing costs.  Technological advances should have lowered the cost.  

As I see it, a comic should be about $1.20 by now.  hm

Not sure when "your youth" might have been, but a lot of comparisons depend on when you look at. For a long time, comic prices were kept artificially low - the 10¢ cover price continued for years while other magazines had price increases.

But, just looking over my lifetime, I picked out a few price points to compare:

• 1962, prices jumped to 12¢ cover. 2021 equivalent (CPI-U adjusted) - $1.04
  • 1969, 15¢. Equivalent $1.10
  • 1979, 40¢. Equivalent $1.53
  • 1988, $1.00. Equivalent $2.26
  • 1997, $1.99. Equivalent $3.26
  • 2010, $3.99. Equivalent $4.80

Don't forget that early, standard 10¢ comics were larger (in both dimensions and page count). Sure, they managed to "only" increase by  ~100% over a few decades, but by the mid-70s, comics were mysteriously a lot smaller (apparently the effective minimum since that's still the standard size).

20 minutes ago, kav said:

There's plenty of SA and BA books you can buy for 5.99.
Heck I was buying lower grade FF annual 6 and thor 134 as well as strange adv in the 100-140s for $5 not that long ago.  Now look at em.

Yeah, when comics hit $4 is when I started focusing on my Bronze Age mag collection, pretty much buying anything I could find for $4, which I figured was a better value than a 22 page modern. I guess I can up it to $6 now

8 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

If he tries it again he's going to have to go through me.

@greggy too-you'll need to take him out.  He was the mastermind behind the whole thing.
Oakman was just the exterminator.

6 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

What’s any of that got to do with me?  Your using a different comment than the comment I was so-called “defending”. I was responding to the original post only when I saw Buzz’s  conclusory comment about another’s seemingly innocuous comment (given the title of the thread) and chimed in my two cents about what the OP was about. I had not read the whole thread. I am not “defending” anyone’s comment as you allege other than to the extent my own comment makes clear or muddles. I try very hard to stay away from politics and focus solely on comics as I have found most are very open minded. So long as you agree with them. 

A lot of us are well aware of who, or at least what, that poster is. If you weren't, I guess you can consider yourself lucky.

24 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Don't forget that early, standard 10¢ comics were larger (in both dimensions and page count). Sure, they managed to "only" increase by  ~100% over a few decades, but by the mid-70s, comics were mysteriously a lot smaller (apparently the effective minimum since that's still the standard size).

Yeah, that's likely how they managed to keep the price point at 10¢ for years while Life, Look, Time, etc kept going up.

5 hours ago, kav said:

I can confirm first hand the media is bogus.  I have been interviewed on Tv and they re-arranged my answers to different questions to make it look like I was saying the opposite of what I actually said.  The local newspaper also printed a story that I blew my head off when I was a teen.  I did not.

And even if true that has nothing to do with why the circulation of a comic book is in decline. 

On 3/24/2021 at 2:12 PM, kav said:

The internet devastated print media.  It wasnt dishonest media that did it-there is always a market for dishonest media.  Just the outlet has changed.

Correct.

Edited by Buzzetta

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

And even if true that has nothing to do with why the circulation of a comic book is in decline. 

They said i blew my head off with fireworks.  Pretty sure I didnt.  I dont see a 'huge' lawsuit there tho-for one thing they would have to have knowingly spoke falsely and for another even if they did no real harm was caused to me.  Not a payday.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

They said i blew my head off with fireworks.  Pretty sure I didnt.  I dont see a 'huge' lawsuit there tho-for one thing they would have to have knowingly spoke falsely and for another even if they did no real harm was caused to me.  Not a payday.

Still, that wouldn't impact how many copies of X-Men were sold the following month.  :baiting:

Also, obviously if you blew your head off they would not have been able to conduct the interview so I would venture to say that they made a brain dead error in swapping out hand for head. 

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Still, that wouldn't impact how many copies of X-Men were sold the following month.  :baiting:

Also, obviously if you blew your head off they would not have been able to conduct the interview so I would venture to say that they made a brain dead error in swapping out hand for head. 

No no no the interview was a separate deal abt 40 years later-
They mix and match questions and answers pretty much to report wut they want i guess.  

Here's the strategy:
Interviewer: "Mr Kav do you support gang violence?"
Kav: "What?  No way!"
Interviewer: "do you think saving a child's life is a good thing?"
Kav "YES!"

Interview airs:
Kav "YES!"

Edited by kav

1 minute ago, kav said:

Kav "YES!"

Interview airs:
Kav "YES!"

I will quote you, then use your quote as the answer.. 

5 minutes ago, kav said:

They report wut they want .  

After my interview aired I realized omg they actually do this-and it's routine for them-