• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$5.99?
2 2

198 posts in this topic

I have one friend who has never read a book in his life.  Even assigned books in school he just didnt read em.  Had a classmate in 5th grade that did book report on a bazooka joe comic.
These people blow my mind.

1 hour ago, kav said:

I know it sounds incredible but I'm always reading.  and I read books over and over.  Many many books I have read at least 10 times.  In school I checked out new supply of books every week.  I've read all of plato's dialogues 10-20 times.  I've read the 911 report.  I read godel escher bach-never met anyone finished those 2 books.

Yeah, I get it, I'm not disputing you read a lot. But 200 books a year, every year, for decades at a time, that's way more than a lot. That's nearly 17 books a month. In 2019, my mother was in the hospital the entire month of July, and I sat most of the days with her, with nothing to do but read, and I didn't read half that many.

1 hour ago, kav said:

I have one friend who has never read a book in his life.  Even assigned books in school he just didnt read em.  Had a classmate in 5th grade that did book report on a bazooka joe comic.

I was walking down the hall between classes one day in high school, and one of my friends stopped me and said, "Hey, Fitz, have you read Tom Sawyer?" Sure, many times. "What was your favorite part?" and a few other questions. I am sorry to say that it wasn't until he said, "Thanks" and walked off that I realized I had just done his book report for him.

On 3/24/2021 at 6:50 AM, 1950's war comics said:

it was a completely dishonest newsprint media that was the catalyst that brought down all other forms of print

I wonder when the absence of truth will bring down the internet/social media/news?!  :wink:  The fault is not in the medium but in ourselves!  

1 hour ago, kav said:

These people blow my mind.

If the report was on Bazooka Joe, I bet he blew bubbles as well as your mind!  :wink:  I hope he made the grade!  :bigsmile:

47 minutes ago, ttfitz said:

I was walking down the hall between classes one day in high school, and one of my friends stopped me and said, "Hey, Fitz, have you read Tom Sawyer?" Sure, many times. "What was your favorite part?" and a few other questions. I am sorry to say that it wasn't until he said, "Thanks" and walked off that I realized I had just done his book report for him.

The kid got you to whitewash his fence for him!  Oh sweet irony!  :wink:

1 hour ago, ttfitz said:

Yeah, I get it, I'm not disputing you read a lot. But 200 books a year, every year, for decades at a time, that's way more than a lot. That's nearly 17 books a month. In 2019, my mother was in the hospital the entire month of July, and I sat most of the days with her, with nothing to do but read, and I didn't read half that many.

Do Big Little books count?

I know it's not much but they're not raising the prices to $5.99 on most titles. That's the cardstock variant prices & these new fangled titles.

Superman Red White Blue, Wonder woman Black Gold etc.

They already raised the prices on the core titles to $4.99 - batman, Wonder Woman etc when Infinite Frontier took over.

Some lesser titles are still at $3.99

The article seems to kick off with batman #109 at $5.99, seems like a bleedin coll thing to me.

Bat #109 cover (maybe? Just saw the barcode)

bat109.jpg

Edited by TheSpud

15 hours ago, kav said:

Read what I wrote.  I said I read more books than you.  That was the only point I was making.  I did read a lot of assigned books in HS that i doubt you read including malcolm X, black elk speaks, the jungle, 1984, brave new world, animal farm-the list goes on and on.

What we have here, is a BSD book reader.:insane:

I don't know. The new comics market is so very efficient at placing copies in the hands of collectors I am reluctant to just stop and give up that efficiency. It's FOMO that each issue I miss is $15+ on eBay.

For one title I collect the print run is likely less than 10k copies. That's maybe an average of 5 per Diamond acct. My area may only get 15 copies. That book is not hitting dollar bins. 

IMO The moderns of today are not going to hit dollar bins like the moderns of 20yrs ago (sans books with 1:1000 incentives, etc.). 

8 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Does posting endlessly on these boards now count as "reading books"? 

I also have a fire pit-

13 hours ago, kav said:
14 hours ago, ttfitz said:

Do Big Little books count?

Haha, you got me there! And if we throw in Reader's Digest Condensed Books, your claim may be more plausible.

13 hours ago, Coverless 9.8 said:
14 hours ago, ttfitz said:

The kid got you to whitewash his fence for him!  Oh sweet irony!  :wink:

I'm guessing the kids did a much better job on the fence than he did on the book report, though. lol