• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$5.99?
2 2

198 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, bb8 said:

I try to read bronze/silver occasionally and, yes, there are a lot of words, but most of the words are superfluous describing something in the picture. I much prefer modern writing to bronze/silver.

Disagree about all the words describing what is pictured.  Modern writers seem to learn to write from watching sitcoms.  Cliched dialogue and scenarios.

1 minute ago, kav said:

Disagree about all the words describing what is pictured.  Modern writers seem to learn to write from watching sitcoms.  Cliched dialogue and scenarios.

Copper and modern produced far better written work than bronze or silver. 

Patrick

4 minutes ago, kav said:

Probably a case of personal taste. Maybe the older stuff is just dated and aimed at a more youthful audience. Regardless, I generally can't read it. My eyes glaze over post-haste.

1 minute ago, followtheleader said:

Patrick

Yep America Chavez blows away kirby Thor books.

Everyone read what you like!  thats the beauty of comics!  Personally I find SA and BA books fresh, imaginative, and great dialogue.  I read em over and over.  I also enjoy many modern books including The Ultimates and phillips/brubaker.  
This is a page from one of my favorite story lines from Thor-The Colonizers.  

RCO005.jpg

3 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Imagine a teen who wants to try getting into comics having to pay $60 dollars to read 10 issues a month. That's the price of a brand new video game. Wonder what they would pick...

Publishers have no clue what they are doing.

Teenagers and kids aren't buying floppies. That's not their clientele. Their customers are in their twenties or older. The days of kids pawing at comics in spinner racks are long gone. It's an extremely niche audience now; the business model is likely teetering on a knife's edge. All forms of print media are absolutely brutal businesses to be in right now. They're trying to find a way to survive and raising prices apparently is one way to keep the doors open a little longer. I certainly don't envy publishers. Look at what's happening to the 'news' media companies trying to survive with clickbait 'journalism.' Things are in flux, the balls are in the air. We'll see how long they can keep juggling.

10 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Patrick

There is a lot of great storytelling in moderns.  People lose sight of a lot of those issues because every issue is published with 2-5 alternate covers and it is the variants that become the focus. 

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

it was a completely dishonest newsprint media that was the catalyst that brought down all other forms of print

That's your misguided, inappropriate, ignorant, and reckless opinion.

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

That's your misguided, inappropriate, ignorant, and reckless opinion.

Really?  I kind of agreed with it. I know the business model of newspapers is to over inflate circulation numbers to bolster advertising rates. Seems like my local newspaper has been doing it for years by calculating circulation on papers that are never bought and returned to an apparent shell company. Wouldn’t be surprised if the circulation numbers for all forms of “newsprint media” are doing the same thing. 

On 3/22/2021 at 9:34 PM, Cliff R. said:

Declining readership, lower ad revenue, and higher production costs will end printed newspapers and comics.  I remember when our local newspaper was 7 cents for the daily issue, and a comic book was 12 cents.

How come I still get vast quantities of shiney junk mail catalogues and what not? they don't seem to have printing cost issues.

IF these were 64 page comics I think it would make sense at least in terms of product being delivered in terms of reading enjoyment. But to the collector, a non-key/hot back issue is going to be "worth" 50 cents - $2 as a back issue regardless of the cover price, so you really need to be buying these for reading value.

why is it that image can afford to sell $2.99 comics? they used to be the expensive ones.

Just now, ThothAmon said:

Really?  I kind of agreed with it. I know the business model of newspapers is to over inflate circulation numbers to bolster advertising rates. Seems like my local newspaper has been doing it for years by calculating circulation on papers that are never bought and returned to an apparent shell company. Wouldn’t be surprised if the circulation numbers for all forms of “newsprint media” are doing the same thing. 

To attach and relate the two further tries to justify his bias and agenda.   Printed media has been in decline as technology continues to become more readily accessible, expansive and instantaneous.   

Why shop through a catalog when you can instantaneously access a website to order in real time reflective of the store's real time inventory? 

Why read about yesterday's news when you can see what is going on now?  That's why your cable news networks experience growth while printed news falls into decline.

Printed comics are in decline for a myriad of reasons but not because of his once again, old man shaking a fist at a cloud, archaic bias.

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

To attach and relate the two further tries to justify his bias and agenda.   Printed media has been in decline as technology continues to become more readily accessible, expansive and instantaneous.   

Why shop through a catalog when you can instantaneously access a website to order in real time reflective of the store's real time inventory? 

Why read about yesterday's news when you can see what is going on now?  That's why your cable news networks experience growth while printed news falls into decline.

Printed comics are in decline for a myriad of reasons but not because of his once again, old man shaking a fist at a cloud, archaic bias.

You are obviously bringing things other than his comment into your response. I have no idea why 1959’s said it or any current knowledge if 1950’s is all the things you say he is, but my response is solely my take on why his comment 

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

it was a completely dishonest newsprint media that was the catalyst that brought down all other forms of print

seemed correct to me. Basically I felt that a corrupt business model is at fault. I think that’s what the threads about. N’est pas?

1 minute ago, ThothAmon said:

You are obviously bringing things other than his comment into your response. I have no idea why 1959’s said it or any current knowledge if 1950’s is all the things you say he is, but my response is solely my take on why his comment 

seemed correct to me. Basically I felt that a corrupt business model is at fault. I think that’s what the threads about. N’est pas?

Maybe I am reading into what he is saying and I am wrong.  But I think it would be best for him to clarify exactly what he is saying or implying.  Until then, I stand by my response to him.