• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$5.99?
2 2

198 posts in this topic

I start reading threads and boom. Prices have raised and two new words made. I do know if this old man can keep up. :preach:

$5.99?   Quintrupled.... Royalities.....

Sounds like some seedy dime store novel.

I am sure several will still buy in. Considering the record prices and Pre order sales 1:1000 virgin holo foil limited con edition super special store  variant cover a-z signed by TOFF MACHARDIN'  

Really they need to step back and rethink all of this. 

If only they would use the same printers that other companies use for their color catalogs/brochures/fliers that continue to incessantly appear in mailboxes.  Not only would production costs be cheaper (I assume, as these free junk mail stapled "books" are just as prevalent as they always were), they might even be able to mail the comics directly to subscribers too.  What's their secret?

And yeah, I remember the .12 days too. :preach:   I stuck around for several price changes but faded when they started all the obvious money grabs:  excessive cross-overs, multiple covers -> cardboard covers -> lenticular covers -> foil covers, restart of the numbering via new titles/rebooting, increasing the paper quality in an attempt to justify costs (I mean really... did anyone ask for that?  It's a comic book!), etc.

1 hour ago, SeniorSurfer said:

... increasing the paper quality in an attempt to justify costs (I mean really... did anyone ask for that?  It's a comic book!), etc.

I know at least one case where the creator of a series pressured the publisher into increasing the paper quality. J. Michael Straczynski convinced DC to up the paper quality after the first few issues of Babylon 5, because the original paper stock used (which was the cheapest DC was still using at the time) was resulting in blotchy colors and blurred lines. Starting with issue #5, they switched to DC's "Fracote Format", which used a higher-quality coated paper instead. This did increase the cover price from $1.95 to $2.50, but I really understand why he demanded it.

Edited by Qalyar

I dropped moderns a year or two ago, and haven't missed them. I've always preferred hardcover and trade collections anyway. Of course, the concern is that a higher price may drive so many readers away that the titles aren't published at all, which means no collections down the road, but hopefully the remaining hardcore readers and digital sales will add up to enough to keep the stories coming. 

The message is actually pretty clear;

$5.99 * 12 = $71.88 for one issue for one year

DCU Infinite = $74.99 for one year, with all new issues 6 months after release

No clue what the business case looks like, but they may be itching to drop printing, shipping, distributor's cut, retailers cut, etc. which is currently all worked into the price.

Ugh, I wondered why the latest Detective was $5.99. I mostly buy Marvel with the exception of 3 DC titles a month so it looks like I'll be dropping those this week. Sad, but like others I'll probably get to the point where I only maintain ASM for full run purposes. $3.99 is already too high with the more frequent $4.99 thrown in.  

What's next, one book for 3 easy payments of $19.99?

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

I have only Captain American and Daredevil on my pull list (recently dropped Hulk).  

After awhile, you realize most of this will be in the dollar bins soon anyway, soo.....

Based on modern books I have only a push list-get it away from me.

I quit buying all new comics 10 years ago when I moved to Colorado.  It seemed like a good time to do it since I really quit enjoying reading the books or even looking at the artwork.  Given the ever increasing prices, poor stories and crappy artwork, no regrets.  I get more enjoyment picking up books like Nova from the 70s, Kamandi, Demon, etc.

For whatever little it's worth, these $5.99 books are 40 pages which is 10 more pages than the standard book(?).  Sure, some number cruncher in the back is probably using it as a test to see just how far the publisher can push customers.  Either other books will follow suit and increase in price or they'll start cutting pages and that $5.99 will only have 38 pages...then 36...then 34...  It's all a game of inching ever higher so the blow isn't as noticeable.

It seems like the new comics have just become a pump-and-dump game like their stocks or something. I started just getting trades on the cheap a long time ago for stuff I just wanted to read and I haven't been disappointed. For all the talk of poor quality, I've found some fun stories out there, but I'd much rather spend $5-$10 on a trade rather than $30 on the individual floppies.

1 minute ago, 1950's war comics said:

yep , moderns have great covers but nothing inside

Bingo.

Simple solution-pay comic writers by the word like everyone else.  No more laziness.

Good thing I don’t collect regularly anymore.  I’m usually on the lookout for variants that catch my eye, or by a favorite artist.  I wonder if collecting digital comics will have value someday...

5F65ED8A-95B1-4507-83CC-2EA1076D645C.jpeg