• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for opinions on Golden Age Cap... different tiers, values and desirability?
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I’ve narrowed my search down to two issues of the original Timely Captain America run. The first is issue #20 from November 1942 and issue #56 from May 1946. The first is a complete issue but has a split spine and has a cover held with tape. That copy would run me about $650. The second is 95% complete save for the top half of the back cover having been torn away during some point (it contained a coupon/order form for an advertisement) with everything else attached. This one would run me $290. I almost have enough saved up for issue #20 but sit about $130 short. However when I start looking at comics in that price range I am unsure if spending that kind of money is worth it? Would it hold its value years from now at that price? I understand that wartime Cap’s are more desirable but that still seems like a hefty sum! Secondly, from what research I’ve done, I understand that the Captain America that was Steve Rogers perished sometime in April of 1945 with his last published adventures being July of 1945 with issue #48 and that this was explained when the story was retconed by Marvel. So beginning in Timely issue #49 a new Captain America named William Naslund was chosen to take over and held the mantle until issue #59. Would a postwar issue like #56 featuring Naslund still be desirable and at that price? It is obviously a much more manageable price but I’m unsure of the value and desirability when it comes to those plasters, Naslund issues?

Any and all opinions welcome!

Edited by SkoBuffs99

23 minutes ago, Timely said:

Non-WWII covers are slow to sell in that title until you hit around 62 onward when they get more interesting and scarce. #48-59 are tougher sellers. 

I appreciate you letting me know. That’s what it appeared when I was looking! The resale aspect isn’t terribly important however, in being a college student and shelling out this kind of money (I have saved up and sold off a few items of my collection... sports cards, historical memorabilia to make this happen but still) it is nice to know I could break even or make a little money even should I decide to sell or need to.

1 hour ago, SkoBuffs99 said:

Secondly, from what research I’ve done, I understand that the Captain America that was Steve Rogers perished sometime in April of 1945 with his last published adventures being July of 1945 with issue #48 and that this was explained when the story was retconed by Marvel. So beginning in Timely issue #49 a new Captain America named William Naslund was chosen to take over and held the mantle until issue #59. Would a postwar issue like #56 featuring Naslund still be desirable and at that price? It is obviously a much more manageable price but I’m unsure of the value and desirability when it comes to those plasters, Naslund issues?

I wouldn't worry about much about the retroactive re-writing of history having much of a negative impact on GA books.  If writers suddenly decide a character is important (e.g. Groot) then you may see a rise but I don't recall seeing a drop.

However, I agree with Timely that it never hurts to have a cover with Cap fighting Nazi's or Japanese, though those will be more expensive.

Edited by adamstrange

55 minutes ago, SkoBuffs99 said:

being a college student

Good luck with school!  I'm saddened for students (which includes my nieces and nephews) having to do this remotely.

19 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

I wouldn't worry about much about the retroactive re-writing of history having much of a negative impact on GA books.  If writers suddenly decide a character is important (e.g. Groot) then you may see a rise but I don't recall seeing a drop.

However, I agree with Timely that it never hurts to have a cover with Cap fighting Nazi's or Japanese, though those will be more expensive.

You make a good point. I watched the most recent episode of Falcon and the Winter Soldier today and saw the introduction of Isaiah Bradley into the MCU, so there have been other individuals to take up the mantle (or rather shield) but just haven’t been mentioned yet. So having Naslund as Cap doesn’t bother me as much although as they say, the original is always the best, hence me wanting an issue featuring Steve Rogers.

20 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Good luck with school!  I'm saddened for students (which includes my nieces and nephews) having to do this remotely.

Thank you! It has been tough, especially last year. I think the fall will be a lot better. I’ll have my first in person class in the summer which I’m both nervous and excited for. It really is crappy to be charged for in person learning and tuition when it is all remote. However, I’m just thankful I still get to pursue my education in this time... there are a lot of other people who aren’t as lucky as I. These times really make you put everything in perspective.

14 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

I'd pass quickly on both of these.  They both have significant condition issues.  Continue to save your money and then buy the best blue label book that you can find.

As much as I would like to buy a decent blue label, I’ll never have the means to do so, not now and probably not in 20 years. With that said, I’m also perfectly happy with something in a lower grade. The more so think about it, the more I think I’m even going to shelve the idea of buying issue #20 for $650. It just isn’t something I can truly justify. I’d like to stay within my means and budget and think in the end I’ll feel more at ease that way, knowing I didn’t spend all my money on one single issue. There is a sharp coverless copy of issue #25 that I can get for $300 that would fit much better in my price range but I feel that these ballooning prices for coverless issues, even wartime Captain America, aren’t sustainable and will probably drop? The issues in question that I post about are what I can afford and are what I’m comfortable with but as this is not my area of confidence when it comes to collecting, I still have a lot of questions.

19 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

If you've still got a lot of questions then the worst thing that you can do is start buying.  That's when mistakes are made.  Get all of your questions answered first THEN make your buying decision.

Your posts seem as if you're spinning around looking for some place - any place -  to put down money.  There's no urgency.  Take your time and make an informed decision.  If that takes awhile then so be it but don't "panic buy". 

It’s not that I want to throw my money down immediately, I’m just at the point where I’ve been saving up for a while I finally have a few options that fit what I’m looking for in some way or another and fit my budget. In the past I was always either “priced out” or looking at the wrong times. I also worry that the with older these issues get, the scarcity will increase and the higher their price will go. But Cap is already going on 80 now... I’ll keep my eye out and be patient as you said. There are no doubt other great issues out there! Thank you for your comment, it is very much appreciated.

My advice. Don't buy the coverless. Unless it's too good a deal to pass up, you will eventually be dissatisfied with the purchase. Figure out if you would be okay with a post-war Cap as your one Cap. Some of them are still pretty cool, but the world war 2 era books are the essence of the title. However if you want to limit yourself to only spending around $300, you might have start with a lower grade post-war Cap. Don't get hung up on blue labels when looking for a bargain copy, a bit of color touch, tear seals or even a slight trim shouldn't bother you more than a completely taped up spine or a big chunk missing out of the back cover. 

I appreciate you being such a young collector with such a good eye.  I too have always loved the Captain America runs of the 40s.  Have you tried also looking at other Timely titles including All-Select, USA, and All-Winners where Captain America is usually featured? It seems like with the $650 and $290 you were going to spend on the two books with issues you could spend $950 or a tad more and get a decent low-grade copy with marginal issues.

39 minutes ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

I appreciate you being such a young collector with such a good eye.  I too have always loved the Captain America runs of the 40s.  Have you tried also looking at other Timely titles including All-Select, USA, and All-Winners where Captain America is usually featured? It seems like with the $650 and $290 you were going to spend on the two books with issues you could spend $950 or a tad more and get a decent low-grade copy with marginal issues.

I have checked out the other titles and the USA one does interest me as well. As for what I bought, it was just going to be one comic or the other, so $650 was my ceiling on total price. There are a few nice copies I’ve seen within that $950 range but that’s well north of my budget right now.

I had a Cap 28 for a long time. 28 is a classic Schomburg war cover and in the wheelhouse of highest collector interest. 
But it wasn’t what I wanted. I badly wanted a Simon&Kirby issue, so I sold it off and found a beat but complete Captain America 6. I’m so glad I did. I may lose theoretical money, but I have the book I want. 

My advice is to figure out what you want, and go get it.

8 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I had a Cap 28 for a long time. 28 is a classic Schomburg war cover and in the wheelhouse of highest collector interest. 
But it wasn’t what I wanted. I badly wanted a Simon&Kirby issue, so I sold it off and found a beat but complete Captain America 6. I’m so glad I did. I may lose theoretical money, but I have the book I want. 

Cap 6 is one of my favorite.   I managed to snag 2.0 blue.   I had to overpay but no regrets.   Getting at least one Kirby cap cover was on my bucket list.   🥰

1FD80291-C968-46E1-8B3C-8F7E8A510DF6.jpeg

8 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Cap 6 is one of my favorite.   I managed to snag 2.0 blue.   I had to overpay but no regrets.   Getting at least one Kirby cap cover was on my bucket list.   🥰

On 3/27/2021 at 3:39 PM, SkoBuffs99 said:

I appreciate you letting me know. That’s what it appeared when I was looking! The resale aspect isn’t terribly important however, in being a college student and shelling out this kind of money (I have saved up and sold off a few items of my collection... sports cards, historical memorabilia to make this happen but still) it is nice to know I could break even or make a little money even should I decide to sell or need to.

It's important to buy what you like and what you would be proud to show off.  That's a very personal choice.  If resale is important WW2 covers should be in your wheelhouse.  Also of interest are some of the late run issues when the title was adding a horror aspect or a cold war aspect.  My favorites are from issue 31 to 40 but they aren't cheap.  As a college student buying books like this is difficult but I can tell you that I wish I had stepped up for bigger books back in the day rather than small books and slurpies 

First off, welcome to the boards! 

I find it interesting that you are jumping right into GA Cap. I've been collecting for over 20 years and still don't own one :cry:

I think you've gotten some great advice here. Figure out your interests. Is it WWII covers? Or just GA Cap? Do you like Simon and Kirby? Or Schomburg covers? 

Then set your eyes on a target and get one you'll love. 

@thehumantorch is right. When I was your age I bought comics pretty aimlessly. I don't regret it, but for the money I pumped into hundreds of copies of Punisher War Journal and Silver Surfer V2s, I probably could have gotten a darn nice Cap that I would be proud to own today. So don't settle for a coverless, get something you'll treasure that will you keep you chatting on these boards for years to come. 

42 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

slurpies 

Nothing like a Slurpy at the 7-11 after spending all afternoon biking around the neighborhood.  :cloud9: