• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which CGC comic is your most prized slab?
6 6

366 posts in this topic

I wasn't knocking you, just CGC. The age of a comic is not taken into consideration by most graders, revealing their clear motive to be less strict for more profit. As a reminder, here's their grading scale:

image.thumb.png.1d32dc4ac37f593c9d3d8d9970d7eb12.png

As you can see, 9.8 is the highest grade that allows for negligible manufacturing defects. As mentioned already, however, off-center staples AND off-center cover (to the point the DC logo is literally touching the edge) = hardly negligible (if it were only one or the other then it's negligible because not as glaringly noticeable) Combine that with the multiple ticks + wear along the right edge and "negligible" becomes impossible to most graders, making it 9.6 tops....

But as stated, you got extremely lucky that someone was probably having a good day or was a fan of the title/era. He even gave it WHITE when there it's clearly tan. Unless of course this is a regular occurrence where older comics are treated differently, in which case their grading scale is highly flawed because 9.8 should mean exactly what it says on the tin.... negligible defects (both handling and manufacturing yet this one has a lot combined) without accounting for age (since it is not explicitly stated as a factor), as low-grade GA's already demanded higher prices prior to CGC's existence, so it inflates it even MORE if they're truly factoring age as you claim

Edited by Adam Lui

1 minute ago, Testinadicalicious said:

You love putting your foot in your mouth, don't you? :facepalm:

Here are Heritage's standards: https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

See any mention of factoring age into grading? Now read their explanation of scarcity of comics:

Golden Age comics (1941-1952):
Surviving comic books would number from less than 100 to several thousand copies of each issue. Near Mint to Mint copies are a little more common but are still relatively scarce, with only a dozen or so copies in this grade existing of any particular issue. Exceptions would be recent warehouse finds of most Dell comics (6-100 copies, but usually 30 or less), and Harvey comics (1950s-1970s) surfacing. Due to low paper quality of the late 1940s and 1950s, many comics from this period are rare in Near Mint to Mint condition. Most remaining copies are VF or less. Browning of paper could be a problem.

So they are explaining that, BECAUSE of the paper quality in older books, NM is rarely achievable. (For them to factor age they would've stated "Regardless of low paper quality")

5 minutes ago, Testinadicalicious said:

So Heritage's standards are CGC's standards?

Heritage's standards are most definitely clearly not CGC's (I completely believe LDarkseid1's suspicion CGC's factors age). You quoted me saying others don't factor age, so I proved it with Heritage as an example. Visit any other auction site and you will notice something similar

7 minutes ago, Testinadicalicious said:

And how does your response address the "less strict for profit" claim you made?

Achieving higher grades more easily after submission creates more demand among GA collectors who want to resell at higher prices, boosting CGC's popularity and increasing revenue. Profit = revenue - expenditures so the latter remaining constant (since one would assume they don't pay a grader more to grade higher) makes the profit difference larger

Perhaps I didn't explain profit clear enough? The formua is P = R - X

Here is P = R - X as a baseline

$1000 = $2000 - $1000

Here is P = R - X where R increases but X remains constant

$2000 = $3000 - $1000

X is the cost of CGC giving out policy to factor age. Since it costs nothing, it remained constant while increased demand drove revenue upwards thereby increasing profit

2 minutes ago, Testinadicalicious said:

The cover isn't crooked it's a miswrap.

A miswrapped cover creates a crooked appearance thus lowering its appeal and less negligible the more slanted it is, especially when combined with other manufacturing defects such as off-center staples (let alone the handling ones)

Just now, Testinadicalicious said:

I wish you were right, but you are wrong. Borock said about 15 years ago that GA is graded more leniently because of their age.

IDK who Borock is but if you are referring to CGC then I already stated I agree with ldarkseid that his suspicions are true (CGC's not most graders as originally stated)

Just now, Testinadicalicious said:

You're the only person on this board that calls it crooked (thumbsu

That's not true, 353 others have (you just joined yesterday how could you even know):

image.thumb.png.5040355f42564b3e2b96c625800b0701.png