• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cgc should stop receiving cards
1 1

166 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Iceman399 said:

Stopping grading won't help anything.  Instead it will create the backlog as soon as they open back up again.

Not if the market implodes in the meantime.

19 hours ago, Iceman399 said:

Hypothetical numbers:

Each month CGC does 100,000 cards.  If they stop for 4 months like PSA where do those cards go?  To PSA/BGS some other company?  Sure some will.  What about the die hard CGC fans that don't want to have it slabbed by some other company?  So we'll say 25k each month disappear to the other guys.

Is that really an option right now? Aren't the other companies in the same boat?

20 hours ago, Arev said:

Cgc should halt receiving cards till they catch up. Psa as of March 30 has halted taking in cards till July. Cgc now gonna be more flooded than ever. Stop receiving cards to increase turnaround times to everyone.

Receiving fewer submissions will only stop TATs from getting worse. Plus, if the higher tiers are still coming in, the junk tiers aren't going to be helped much. The only thing that will help TATs is increased grading capacity, which is not quick or easy to implement.

5 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Not if the market implodes in the meantime.

Is that really an option right now? Aren't the other companies in the same boat?

There are some small time companies...I'm sure they could accept the cards lol

Of course they are...don't apply logic to all of this.  They just want to whine and complain :sumo: 

I don't understand the card market.  Are there not grading companies that are more established or more trusted than others?  If CGC stopped grading comics for 3 months, I don't think that many people would flock to the competitors, they'd just wait.  CBCS would likely see an influx, especially of standard blue labels, but I don't think people would leave in droves.  Yet with cards, there's this expectation that if you don't get graded by PSA, you just go to a competitor?  And it seems like there are so many more card grading companies out there that I'm not even aware of.  This whole influx of CGC cards is just perplexing to me.

4 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I don't understand the card market.  Are there not grading companies that are more established or more trusted than others?  If CGC stopped grading comics for 3 months, I don't think that many people would flock to the competitors, they'd just wait.  CBCS would likely see an influx, especially of standard blue labels, but I don't think people would leave in droves.  Yet with cards, there's this expectation that if you don't get graded by PSA, you just go to a competitor?  And it seems like there are so many more card grading companies out there that I'm not even aware of.  This whole influx of CGC cards is just perplexing to me.

As long as it graded by PSA, BGS, CGC, SGC now people dont care. They'll send cards anywhere. There isn't much in terms of brand loyalty for Pokemon cards. Anything other than those 4 places don't get good returns so people don't use random shady jank card services. PSA was the biggest boy in town, BGS was second. BGS is already up mess creek. SGC only a week or so ago got their turnaround under control. With the biggest player of the four out of the picture the others are about to get demolished.

13 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

image.gif.98a40ac78c45992b109d4514d875d69d.gif

3 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I can only say why I picked CGC. I just think they deliver a superior product at a reasonable price than competitors.

I think PSA has a major issue with consistency and being too relaxed in grading.

I am a big supporter of Sub Grades which PSA isn't doing.

I think the CGC slab is superior. The cards in my PSA slab move around. Even my wife, who knows nothing about any of this, even brought it up and said isn't this a problem?

To which I tried defending PSA but realized it really is a bad design. I also think the CGC slab looks better, even the blue sticker.

I also see CGC likely changing the industry to more automated grading with fewer human subjective opinion being part of the factor and speeding up everything.

Though I will say once that happens- it's going to be a hyper bubble that will grow big and fast and pop just as fast. Once CGC can literally flood the market with slabs as quickly as people can submit, supply will quickly overflow the real demand. Be careful once that happens and plan accordingly.

5 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

So what you are saying is that if CGC stopped doing comics for 3 months and then reopened up the doors they'd be flooded with comics again because people haven't submitted comics for 3 months :baiting:

Colour me shocked shutting the doors for 3 months won't solve any problems lol 

2 hours ago, Toybot said:

I can only say why I picked CGC. I just think they deliver a superior product at a reasonable price than competitors.

I think PSA has a major issue with consistency and being too relaxed in grading.

I am a big supporter of Sub Grades which PSA isn't doing.

I think the CGC slab is superior. The cards in my PSA slab move around. Even my wife, who knows nothing about any of this, even brought it up and said isn't this a problem?

To which I tried defending PSA but realized it really is a bad design. I also think the CGC slab looks better, even the blue sticker.

I also see CGC likely changing the industry to more automated grading with fewer human subjective opinion being part of the factor and speeding up everything.

Though I will say once that happens- it's going to be a hyper bubble that will grow big and fast and pop just as fast. Once CGC can literally flood the market with slabs as quickly as people can submit, supply will quickly overflow the real demand. Be careful once that happens and plan accordingly.

Whats funny though is that even though CGC does do a better job at grading, the secondary market doesnt seem to care. PSA still commands higher prices within the higher grades. With lower grades and lower rare cards, they tend to be the same. But when it comes to grading the top tier cards, for some reason, the janky PSA slabs and stickers are still more sought after and people will pay more for them.

I quit PSA back in 2018 but after seeing some of my CGC auction results in comparison to their PSA counterparts, yeah Im starting to think things over. Obviously right now you cant do PSA and CGC is one of the few options avaliable, but money wise, in a perfect world CGC cards should be worth more but they arent. The secondary market just not seem to care how things are actually graded. They dont care if the card inside actually has issues or not. All that matters is that number and what card has that number. Also subgrades are just a waste of money and give the illusion of transparency. Thats nice that my centering is a 9.5, but if the overall grade is a 6, what is the point?

I also dont like the 9.5 being the psuedo top grade. 10s seem to barely exist, so that means lots of cards get graded 8-9 more often while at companies that use the 10 scale more often, give out more 10s and 9s. Again, in a perfect world, this would matter, but consumers just care about that final number. 10 being greater than 9.5 is all that matters. 

I would say you are mostly right about sub grades, but that's for investors. I think to a collector, sub grades matter alot more. It gives them a more indepth view at what is going on with a card and why it was graded what it was.

Even when it comes to 10s, I think there's a difference between 2 10's in sub grades and 4 10s.

I think we are not seeing this manifest itself in the market because people have their money tied with the popular PSA.

For investors to start acknowledging that CGC 10's are more pristine would require they migrate their inventories over to CGC.

I see them eventually doing this, but on their own terms so we'll probably never know when they will do such a flip. Again, likely when it benefits themselves will we start to see what I consider "normalization" between the grading companies.

Afterall, it can only last so long for people to pickup waaaay cheaper CGC 9's with 9.5+ centering and turning them over into PSA 10's. The market will adjust for this eventually.