• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Comic books dead or dying?
5 5

339 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

As someone who largely coasted through school, I can confirm it gets even harder once college starts.

He has an older cousin who had been raised by strict parents with the sole purpose of getting into university. He had no time for friends and dating, it was all studying and sports and extracurricular clubs and all that. He did everything right. Still couldn’t get into any of the universities in Southern California and is now attending community college part time with a major change in plans for his future. If my kid has to take that route, and I assume he will have to because we aren’t going to force him to play a sport and he will have time for kid stuff, we are planning ahead for it. Luckily I’m a blue collar guy and know a ton of trade professions I can guide him toward if it doesn’t look like school is going to be his path. I just want him to keep that path a possibility until it’s time to choose. When I was a kid my dad was a laborer and he didn’t know anything but digging ditches and pushing wheelbarrows. He told me if I didn’t go to college that was my future. He made me dig ditches when I was in middle school, doing man work. I decided I wouldn’t ever be a laborer, but I didn’t know what else there was. Caused me to not really have a direction in life until about age 25. If college isn’t going to be in my kids future I’m going to let him know about stuff like geological technicians, who can make six figures their first year with a $400 two day certification course. 

1 minute ago, dupont2005 said:

He has an older cousin who had been raised by strict parents with the sole purpose of getting into university. He had no time for friends and dating, it was all studying and sports and extracurricular clubs and all that. He did everything right. Still couldn’t get into any of the universities in Southern California and is now attending community college part time with a major change in plans for his future. If my kid has to take that route, and I assume he will have to because we aren’t going to force him to play a sport and he will have time for kid stuff, we are planning ahead for it. Luckily I’m a blue collar guy and know a ton of trade professions I can guide him toward if it doesn’t look like school is going to be his path. I just want him to keep that path a possibility until it’s time to choose. When I was a kid my dad was a laborer and he didn’t know anything but digging ditches and pushing wheelbarrows. He told me if I didn’t go to college that was my future. He made me dig ditches when I was in middle school, doing man work. I decided I wouldn’t ever be a laborer, but I didn’t know what else there was. Caused me to not really have a direction in life until about age 25. If college isn’t going to be in my kids future I’m going to let him know about stuff like geological technicians, who can make six figures their first year with a $400 two day certification course. 

614de537ea516c274f9c95e722fbf9d5.gif.f11d2aca38f061625538d710c8ab09f0.gif

2 hours ago, the blob said:

Flatbush.

The average sales price in Bed Stuy is $975K. That is an average of studio apartments and townhouses and everything in between. So Brownstones are $1.5 million+. Plenty of people, apparently, want to go there. Not my cup of tea. But the homes usually don't have lawns and such, so landscaping is pretty minimal. I live in an area with lawns, driveways, wood single family houses, etc. It looks like suburbs in a lot of places. 

Yup.  People outside of NY sometimes have a negative connotation as to what Brooklyn has to offer.  I could sell my home on Long Island and still not afford to outright buy the equivalent in Bed Sty and definitely not in Williamsburg. 

3 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

He has an older cousin who had been raised by strict parents with the sole purpose of getting into university. He had no time for friends and dating, it was all studying and sports and extracurricular clubs and all that. He did everything right. 

Sounds like me up to age 18.  Suffice to say, it DID NOT prepare me for adulthood.  Helicopter parents (like mine) deprive their kids of so much practical life experience.

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

Sounds like me up to age 18.  Suffice to say, it DID NOT prepare me for adulthood.  Helicopter parents (like mine) deprive their kids of so much practical life experience.

The world is so different. None of these kids play outside anymore. None of them are allowed to ride the bus downtown to get a burger and a comic and just walk around. It’s all FaceTime and group chats and Fortnite. My parents used to go to Mexico and leave me alone for the weekend when I was his age. Pretty sure I’d go to jail if I did that to him

80+year of super heroes comics,and look where we are now,in a pandemic and comics is still rising,remember the first overstreet guide book with action comics one just sold for one thousand people though it was madness and it would flop in a year or two.that said,i  hate one thing about some collectors and its those that just want to make money with it,where the passion man,i hate people that see comics as just stock.a real fan of comics from yourh to now know what i mean,comics is more than just a way to make money.if action comics 1 would drop and stay at 5 bucks knowing ill never make money out of it id still fight tooth and nail for it lol

8 minutes ago, Namtak said:

80+year of super heroes comics,and look where we are now,in a pandemic and comics is still rising,remember the first overstreet guide book with action comics one just sold for one thousand people though it was madness and it would flop in a year or two.that said,i  hate one thing about some collectors and its those that just want to make money with it,where the passion man,i hate people that see comics as just stock.a real fan of comics from yourh to now know what i mean,comics is more than just a way to make money.if action comics 1 would drop and stay at 5 bucks knowing ill never make money out of it id still fight tooth and nail for it lol

If you have not already you should see the mess in card threads.. :baiting:

1 minute ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

If you have not already you should see the mess in card threads.. :baiting:

I know it depress me a little,i mean i understand half of it but,but for me its the love of story artists,history behind it,memories,some hete might not understand what i mean.

3 minutes ago, Namtak said:

I know it depress me a little,i mean i understand half of it but,but for me its the love of story artists,history behind it,memories,some hete might not understand what i mean.

Many of us do.. we would now be considered the old timers yelling at these kids to get off our lawn..

32 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

The instruction in junior college is far superior to university-2 years undergrad there is the way to go.  When I took the placement tests for chemistry in university I blew away all the students who went straight from HS to university.  2 years of straight As in Jr college will get you on dean's honor list and a lot of scholarships and University admissions.

Edited by kav

I also did not apply for grant until I reached university as the amount of grant is based on costs so why waste it at Jr college.

8 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Every doctor needs a toilet.. 

bingo.

unless they do what they want-

When I grab a collection, I usually give away stuff that isn't worth listing - all in good order, but just not worth my time to put up on ebay.

I take them to work and make sure the minimum wage staff get first dibs, as that seems fair.

The usual takers are all young, and are enthusiastic about comics - they buy, but on their current wage, then key books aren't affordable for them at this point in their life.

When they get promoted, or graduate, then they will buy better books, after improving their lot in life.

I think there are a hell of a lot of young people who once their salary improves, will become collectors of 'bigger' books.

They take my freebies to read and save, not sell on. They are engaged with the medium and are in it for the long-haul.

I have no doubt whatsoever that whilst prices need to be corrected, and soon, that there is no shortage of young people waiting to become serious collectors.

They are just not able to at the moment, but will when their careers unfold.

I think there is quite a bubble on these boards, and sometimes we can confuse the big players on here who drop $10K+ on a single book as representative of a 'collector'.

Thats not the case - there are many,many young people who drop $5 on a book and are equally as engaged as 'collectors'

My only point of difference is that today, it is movie /TV that brings them in, not the stores/Newsstands.

I think the future will be ok - but non-genuine (temporary if you like) keys are heading for a hit.

There will be a correction, but blue chip books will be OK.

ASM #101 + #300....not so much!

2c