• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Comic books dead or dying?
5 5

339 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, kav said:

I am not a GA collector.  I started buying books in the SA ya old GA coot. :makepoint:

60's hipster?  I could see that.  Remember everyone.  Kav was buying books in the Silver Age. 

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

60's hipster?  I could see that.  Remember everyone.  Kav was buying books in the Silver Age. 

Hippies back then were nothing like the hippies of today. They were self sufficient,

A few years back we had a party at the house and I realized I was the oldest person there. I’ve gotten used to my social group being younger but it still feels good to come here and feel like a kid again

54 minutes ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Harry Rinker, the antiques writer who's done 'Rinker on Collectibes' for 25 years, outlines the following 10 signs that a collectible is endangered

1.       The average collector is over 60 years. Value for any collectible reaches its peak when the first generation is 45-60.

2.       The number of collectors is less than 50. Vitality is in knowing the players.

3.       Collector clubs disappear.

4.       Objects are no longer available or no longer found.

5.       eBay sell-through is less than 20%, supply equals demand, price exceeds buyers.

6.       Nothing checks a steady decline in value at the high end.

7.       Objects disappear or are sold in lots at auction.

8.       No new price guide or reference on the topic. 5yrs = endangered; 15yrs = extinct. Information fuels interest.

9.       Trade publications offer little or no coverage.

10.     Category disappears, is grouped, or ignored. Information fuels interest; when information disappears, a category is endangered.

Elvis Memorabilia 

34 minutes ago, Beige said:

I'd be amazed if the average age of SA / GA collectors is 60+

People I'm buying those books off here are in the 40 - 45 age range. My competition at auction is 35 - 50 age range I'd say with the odd smattering of 20 somethings.

The last big purchase in the wild (see Garage sales thread in CG) inc ASM #1, CSS #22 etc was from a 19 yr old.

He collected them, and was paying down his Uni debt.

Beige, how do you know if garage sales have comics?  I always go to garage sales and NEVER find comics... just old kitchen ware and clothes...pretty much junk I never want 

Edited by Wolverinex

1 hour ago, dupont2005 said:

I went out in public with shorts and long socks and my girl told me I looked like an old man. I told her I’ll stop wearing shorts before I put on a pair of ankle socks

I've gone out to Target in shorts, a t-shirt, sandals, and a bath robe and a mask.   Not a care was given that day. It was in the middle of a pandemic. 

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I've gone out to Target in shorts, a t-shirt, sandals, and a bath robe and a mask.   Not a care was given that day. It was in the middle of a pandemic. 

When was there a pandemic?

2 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Why bother with the T-shirt and shorts, you already had the bathrobe.

I'm not scottish

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

actual footage of Buzz before he left to the Long Island Target:

10 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I go in speedo no problemo.

1 minute ago, Wolverinex said:

Beige, how do you know if garage sales have comics?  I always go to garage sales and NEVER find comics... just old kitchen ware and clothes...pretty much junk I never want 

Sometimes I don't!

The website I use in Melbourne has a contact email or phone number, so I generally contact them first to save a trip. Some people do, but hadn't thought to sell them, as they were their kids who had gone to Uni, or just laid forgotten in the spare room.

I run at least 4 'wanted to buy' ads all the time - most stuff comes from there - the last one I referred to was via that way.

I ask everyone I meet! That sometimes works

Lastly, if I'm bored I'll troll through ebay - there's always a 'huge lot' sale that has the corner of a decent book sticking out. I'm looking at one ending this weekend.

Also mis-spelling is another on ebay - Vampirella is a common mistake.

On a day out searching (and you have to remember that Australia has a tiny fraction of the comics for sale that USA does) - I'll plan a route between charity shops, that take in as many garage sales as possible (sometimes there are only 1 or 2) and stop at any sale or charity shop I see that is open.

It's just hard work - the harder you work, the luckier you get. 

I guess you need the desire to go again after a complete failure of a day to eventually find stuff.

It's out there, it's just harder to find now.

This was in a local auction last night

138191.jpg.52d3fb646e828e6ae428fc4614fd4bd0.jpg

I didn't go as the auction house isn't known for high value stuff - there is no way this would not be getting graded if there wasn't something off about it. The tears were described as 'chipping', there is obvious water damage, and no staple pics, despite obvious rust migration at top staple.

But I wouldn't have known it was there without signing up for newsletter emails etc etc

Put the yards in and the results will come!