• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Got these beauties in today. I display the CC catalog for reference only. 

80B338B7-BA94-4A2B-A69A-DDF4167C2DD8.jpeg

48547C09-BE5E-46BB-B6F2-AE6363640002.jpeg

My CC catalog didn't even make it into the house.  I dropped it straight in recycling.  It's going to be interesting to see 1) if people will be hesitant to consign against HA and 2) if HA sucks all the money out of the market for GA.   The Berk collection had an impact, not only elsewhere, but on itself.  But that was a one time deal and things recovered.  This is 18 months and 5000 books.  

16 hours ago, Badger said:
On 6/1/2021 at 2:55 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Comics are probably a better investment than stocks.  hm

I've done a hell of a lot better in comics than in stocks.

Unless you are a comic book speculator that knows it's really all about the movies :devil: and hence brought into AMC at the start of last week when it was down around $12 and sold it today after it passed $70 before dipping back down a bit into the close.  :screwy:

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

You are absolutely right. There is 2 trillion extra dollars in our economy right now. It might have started out as $1400 a person but that has been funneled up the pyramid and now filthy capitalists have more money than sense. Which is why collector markets of all stripes are going wild. I read the other day that even the stamp market is seeing a lift. When that money is spent, and put into the Scrooge McDuckian vaults of the 1%, will the prices be able to maintain their new levels? Some blue chips will, or their decrease will be slight, but others like ASM 100 are going to tank. ASM 100 in 9.4 is ~$1000 right now. I think 4 years from now it will go down to $750, if not back to $500.

Speaking of stamps...https://www.cnn.com/style/article/three-treasures-sothebys-coin-stamps/index.html

6 hours ago, Badger said:

You are absolutely right. There is 2 trillion extra dollars in our economy right now. It might have started out as $1400 a person but that has been funneled up the pyramid and now filthy capitalists have more money than sense. Which is why collector markets of all stripes are going wild. I read the other day that even the stamp market is seeing a lift. When that money is spent, and put into the Scrooge McDuckian vaults of the 1%, will the prices be able to maintain their new levels? Some blue chips will, or their decrease will be slight, but others like ASM 100 are going to tank. ASM 100 in 9.4 is ~$1000 right now. I think 4 years from now it will go down to $750, if not back to $500.

I do not think that simply putting money in play will automatically create a decrease in the value or market desirability of these promise books. I agree speculation is rampant in the SA Giant size X-Men 1 etc. So it makes perfect sense to sell the SA books in which there are hundreds and even thousands of graded copies at a price peak and buy one of the highest graded rare OO GA. I am on board with that...it is called a trade up. 

What I disagree with is your timeline of price decline. If the President's spending package for infastructure is passed along with the fact that the economy is going to ramp up similar to the roaring 20's this continued spending can easily last over 4 years. I agree with you that at some point...somebody, meaning me and you, are gonna pay for it. The big wigs are figured out that inflation will eliminate part of the value of the Debt which I think today is 24 Trillion dollars and counting.

I think some choice GA/SA will increase ,decrease, and flatline over  the next 5 years. The Promise collection is the safest place to buy, trade up GA comic books. Yes quality GA books cost money for a reason, they are rare and in ultra top condition. Buying " time"  is the key here. When you have over 5000 promise books dumped on the market in the next 18 months...that is the time buy...not after the last promise book is auctioned by HA.

Edited by Mmehdy

4 minutes ago, midwestfourcolors said:

They are at heritage...just in the New York Office for the time being.

Oh I saw CC in the post and my mind just blew. :boo:

erasing my earlier post to perform insufficiently_thoughtful_person damage control

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

I do not think that simply putting money in play will automatically create a decrease in the value or market desirability of these promise books. I agree speculation is rampant in the SA Giant size X-Men 1 etc. So it makes perfect sense to sell the SA books in which there are hundreds and even thousands of graded copies at a price peak and buy one of the highest graded rare OO GA. I am on board with that...it is called a trade up. 

What I disagree with is your timeline of price decline. If the President's spending package for infastructure is passed along with the fact that the economy is going to ramp up similar to the roaring 20's this continued spending can easily last over 4 years. I agree with you that at some point...somebody, meaning me and you, are gonna pay for it. The big wigs are figured out that inflation will eliminate part of the value of the Debt which I think today is 24 Trillion dollars and counting.

I think some choice GA/SA will increase ,decrease, and flatline over  the next 5 years. The Promise collection is the safest place to buy, trade up GA comic books. Yes quality GA books cost money for a reason, they are rare and in ultra top condition. Buying " time"  is the key here. When you have over 5000 promise books dumped on the market in the next 18 months...that is the time buy...not after the last promise book is auctioned by HA.

I agree with most of what you say. I consider most GA as blue chip by nature but there will still be sinking GA boats; Batman and Captain America will not be in them. Taking money out of the market, once most of the new money is locked up in value somewhere, is what will cause a decrease in value. I agree that if another trillion dollars hits the economy things will keep going up and my estimate of 4 years will be wrong. We will see if a new spending binge is forthcoming or if the spending spree is over after 2022.

54 minutes ago, sagii said:

So a benefit of living and working in NY is I can pick up my CC wins in person, and check out HA's gallery showcase in Manhattan. Only a 8 minute walk from the office. 

Now while I only can see them through the window, and not actually handle them, let me say at least concerning these examples: OMG!! They are GORGEOUS!! just ...WOW! 

Sorry for the crappy pics, don't do these books justice 

Probably the closest I'll ever get to any of these again 

20210603_154040.jpg

20210603_154051.jpg

20210603_154101.jpg

Man, I should get you to pick up my wins. It would shave months off of the delivery time. :devil:

22 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Got mine too (but, you seem to be missing one).  Solved a big mystery.  Maybe the CGC guys are so forgiving of "bindery tears" because they get the cataloges too.  Check this out:

IMG_1072.thumb.jpg.018fd09d090c1340c13a8a03090ed100.jpg

I only got 2, Promise Collection and the one with Mystery Men comics on cover. :sumo:

42 minutes ago, midwestfourcolors said:
43 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Wait, what???

im current high bidder on one of those. Why aren’t these at Heritage??!!

They are at heritage...just in the New York Office for the time being.

They are in the windows of the Heritage NYC offices getting a suntan so that they will look their absolute toasty best for the auction winners.  :fear::bigsmile: