• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

That is the point here, 1 copy of over 5000  Pedigreed OO GA comic books cannot be duplicated ever again.  ...  Ha said  it right, not in the last 25 years or probably ever again will a true OO over 5000 top graded GA comic book collection will ever surface.

Except we all know of a collection which will be at least 2,000+ pedigree prime early GA comics which is yet to come to market (and the collection could contain over 5,000 such books).

Edited by sfcityduck

27 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

BUT, there are many, many more SA collections to be discovered or have yet to come to market looking at the future to knock off or reduce in the census your X-Men #1 at 9.6...much risker at $750 that your books will be reduced down the CGC ladder of top existing copy. Buyer Beware at this time, in the CGC SA comic book world

Not only SA, but just take a look at some of the BA keys like GSXM 1 that are available with over 200 already in CGC 9.8 and over 10K slabbed in total already.  :p

And yet in today's Facebook and FOMO like marketplace, it seems like CGC 9.8 graded copies of GSXM 1 and XM 94 combined (> $120K) would be good enough to give you a good shot at the Promise Copy of either All-American 61 or Phantom Lady 17.  Needless to say, if I was willing to spend that kind of money on comic book(s), I definitely know which direction my money and your money would be heading.  (thumbsu

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

Except we all know of a collection which will be at least 2,000+ pedigree prime early GA comics which is yet to come to market.

To which pedigree collection would you be referring to here, as early GA is definitely something that I would be much more interested in as opposed to late GA. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

Certainly was a thrill to watch that thread unfold. I know he is passionate about his books but I hope that he does entertain the thought of selling them someday in his lifetime. It would be terrible if something happened to those gems!

6 minutes ago, linmoth said:

Certainly was a thrill to watch that thread unfold. I know he is passionate about his books but I hope that he does entertain the thought of selling them someday in his lifetime. It would be terrible if something happened to those gems!

Perhaps he has heirs who are into comics also who will love the books as much as he has.  I'm not pushing anyone to sell.  The only point I'm trying to make is simply this:  There are still OO collections out there.  Some no longer reside with the OO.  Some are held by collectors that bought the OOs collection in toto.  There is no reason that such OO collections could not be submitted to CGC and get pedigree status.  We've just seen it happen with the Chinatown pedigree - 1,300 books purchased by a collector/dealer from an OO in 1997 and only given pedigree status 24 years later.  BZ has at least one such OO pedigree quality group of books which has not been submitted to CGC, and maybe more.  The Dentist also has such a group of OO pedigree quality books which have not been submitted to CGC, and who knows whether they will ever be sold, but they are out there.  What else lurks in the collections of the guys who are now in their late 60s and older who were fortunate enough to start collecting when GA comics were cheap and plentiful?  I think we'll see some surprises come to light because a lot of those guys are pretty secretive about their holdings. 

Remember when the Church collection was the last OO GA collection we would ever see and then we got the Billy Wright, Atlantic City, Promise, etc.  The number of OO GA collections we will see is impossible to predict.  Will one that dwarfs the Church collection show up?  Who really knows, I suspect low probability but not zero for sure (Promise collection is clear evidence of that) and I will say with 1000% certainty there will be many dozens of OO GA collections that come to market over the years.  Total number of books in each one will likely be significantly less than the Promise collection but they will come to the market.

21 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Remember when the Church collection was the last OO GA collection we would ever see and then we got the Billy Wright, Atlantic City, Promise, etc.  The number of OO GA collections we will see is impossible to predict.  Will one that dwarfs the Church collection show up?  Who really knows, I suspect low probability but not zero for sure (Promise collection is clear evidence of that) and I will say with 1000% certainty there will be many dozens of OO GA collections that come to market over the years.  Total number of books in each one will likely be significantly less than the Promise collection but they will come to the market.

I've picked from 3 OO collections of very HG books in just the last year.  

I looked over each of the 274 Promise books last night online and blow up,  and my prior  700K auction estimate is quite low. My new estimate is 1.24 M for the auction lot of books...

Edited by Mmehdy

Just now, D84 said:

Here's a question: if it's an inherited collection, is it still original owner?

It should be, the SF collection was from a deceased US solider from WWII and the the collection was divided into 3 lots as 1/3 of the collection was divided by the 3 inheritors and all 3 sold the collection to comics and comics...

1 minute ago, Mmehdy said:

Really..Wow...how far off?

I would not be shocked to see an average over $10K each (some much higher, some lower).  I think the avg. price per book will exceed the BW despite the absence of the mega-keys.

Speaking of which, am I dreaming or wasn't there a CA 1?  What happened to it.

6 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

274 in the works at 1.24M+ and 4726 to go. That’s going to be quite the pay day for someone...

Total collection is north of $25M I bet ($5K avg. per issue price).  But, average price will decline from the $10K+ I expect for this auction as this is a cherry picked lot based on CGC census status.