• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Terry_JSA said:

The 9.2 Suspense Comics #8 looks absolutely beautiful! 

But in Heritage's eyes, not as good as that big beautiful 9.8 number on the top left of the slab for Suspense Comics 11 as they have this book right at the top of their preview charts, followed by the equally big beautiful numbered 9.8 slabbed copy of Human Torch 23 with the classic Schomburg robot cover.  :luhv:

Ok, you've convinced me here..............I'll take all 3 of them at not only full cover price, but rather even at full top of guide valuation.  :bigsmile:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

6 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

But in Heritage's eyes, not as good as that big beautiful 9.8 number on the top left of the slab for Suspense Comics 11 as they have this book right at the top of their preview charts, followed by the equally big beautiful numbered 9.8 slabbed copy of Human Torch 23 with the classic Schomburg robot cover.  :luhv:

Ok, you've convinced me here..............I'll take all 3 of them at not only full cover price, but rather even at full top of guide valuation.  :bigsmile:  :takeit:

I wish could take some of these books home with me from the auction, but I unfortunately don't have that type of money. lol

7 hours ago, Sarg said:

Man, the kooky decision to re-number Detectives sure devastated the grades. 9.4s are now 6.5s.

Detective46.jpg

CGC, CGC..............are you NOT paying attention to my written notes of advice to you here?  (tsk)

No decimals or fractions or what have you, didn't you learn in school about rounding up as this is supposed to be a 7 due to all that wear running down the spine.  :rulez:   :makepoint:  

Edited by lou_fine

30 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Many of these books would be out of my price range considering the surprising prices that they've been fetching. However, I'd be reluctant even to buy one that's within reach. I'm concerned that this collection could eventually get a reputation as "the overgraded pedigree." It hasn't happened yet because few people read these boards, but it is likely to happen over time. When it does, even books with reasonable grades could lose quite a bit of value.

Some of them are definitely overgraded, but luckily for CGC most people don't know how to grape properly anyway. That's partially why they exist. 

1 hour ago, Pickie said:

I wonder what this will fetch for in the auction. hm

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

if that scan was associated with a 9.6 or 9.8 green label I don't think anyone would say boo.   Sharp looking book.

It got downgraded with the staple hole in the "A" in "Patrol"

3 hours ago, Pickie said:

Staples or not, that is a thing of beauty. Looks like he was just getting the PCH and Crime genres. Can you only imagine if he had collected say another 5 years?

3 hours ago, Pickie said:

I'm a little surprised that they qualified this one. It was manufactured with no staples and they don't usually consider manufacturing issues to be defects so why qualify it?

50 minutes ago, Pickie said:
3 hours ago, greggy said:

It got downgraded with the staple hole in the "A" in "Patrol"

Good catch! And the other two holes are beneath the red falling cube. So actually it was sealed with staples xD

The paper appears somewhat frayed and discolored in both staple hole areas. Perhaps an indication of staple removal sometime after production? hm

CP-11_PC_staple-areas.jpg

On 6/23/2021 at 3:32 PM, MasterChief said:

The paper appears somewhat frayed and discolored in both staple hole areas. Perhaps an indication of staple removal sometime after production? hm

CP-11_PC_staple-areas.jpg

Good catch. So it wasn't manufactured without staples; it was manufactured with staples about two inches off the spine. I wouldn't blame the purchaser (or even the clerk at the newsstand if he or she noticed) for taking them out. I'm not sure how I'd grade that sort of a defect, though. I don't think I'd be in the 9s, qualified or not.

Edited by jimbo_7071