• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

On 5/1/2021 at 1:04 PM, lou_fine said:

I somehow doubt this is going to happen because you are thinking more from the old school collector's point of view before CCG came in with certification and their whole grading game.  

Especially since today's CGC generation of collectors have been conditioned to focus in on that big big number on the top left hand corner of the slab pretty much above all else.  In addition, I believe Heritage is going to try their best to market this once in a lifetime generational collection outside the regular comic book collecting crowd and try to pull in as much of the other FOMO driven collectibles money that seems to be flying around out there.  And guess what, these newbies with the deep pockets aren't going to know anything at all or care to learn about pressing, CPR, cleaning, stigmatization, overgrading, or what have you because the only thing they will focus in on is that big number and if it's the highest graded copy because that's easy for them to understand.  hm

Once in a lifetime generational collection?

the Archie’s that have been displayed so far are very nice. Sadly the collection apparently does not include a 13. I’m a little afraid that the (relatively) big bucks I’ve previously ponied up to buy the highest graded examples of Archie’s are not going to look like such a good idea in hindsight. 

1F9938FF-8258-4D59-AA6D-B06C17CE7FB0.png

Edited by ThothAmon

29 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

the Archie’s that have been displayed so far are very nice. Sadly the collection apparently does not include a 13. I’m a little afraid that the (relatively) big bucks I’ve previously ponied up to buy the highest graded examples of Archie’s are not going to look like such a good idea in hindsight. 

Yes, this Promise Collection will be a GPA game changer for sure, although I think you’ll be fine with Archies, and you will love them no less. 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

2 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

HOW is that top left corner acceptable for a 9.6? Maaaybe the bottom left corner is ok for a 9.6... 

42 minutes ago, Jginsberg79 said:

Is there any way this isn't an absolute bloodbath in terms of new prices set? Seems like a lot of people are going to be spending a lot of money ;-)

with the spike in values/prices on SA and newer comics, I'm expecting the same. Maybe even some selloff of SA books to fund GA purchases

On 5/4/2021 at 1:01 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Writing on the cover should reduce the grade, period. It might make sense for an Okajima camp book with a grade of 4.0 to be worth more than a non-pedigree book in 9.0 because of the historical significance of the former, but the grade on the camp book should still be 4.0. Damage is damage, whether it occurred in 1945 or 2015. 

Agreed. Writing on the cover degrades the original printing just as much as chips, tears, and tape, even when it is a "pedigree" collection. I will never understand why graders pretend this is not the case; but I will happily take books they grade 5.0 with no writing over books graded 9.0 with writing. 

On 5/3/2021 at 2:17 PM, MrBedrock said:

fight31.jpg

I guess CGC and others have never counted ink fading as a factor in a book's grade, which is somewhat surprising. The Fiction House books that are properly inked are FAR superior to the more common (?) faded ones, as the above example shows clearly. So this is another area where a book graded 5.0 could actually be superior to one graded 9.0. 

4 minutes ago, Sarg said:

Agreed. Writing on the cover degrades the original printing just as much as chips, tears, and tape, even when it is a "pedigree" collection. I will never understand why graders pretend this is not the case; but I will happily take books they grade 5.0 with no writing over books graded 9.0 with writing. 

to me, not all marks are created equal. 

Some giant grease pencil mark across the cover image is WAY less tolerable than a name or code written on the edge of the cover...

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

to me, not all marks are created equal. 

Some giant grease pencil mark across the cover image is WAY less tolerable than a name or code written on the edge of the cover...

agree

1 hour ago, Sarg said:

Writing and date stamps were a pet peeve of mine even with GA books. Originally collecting baseball cards when I was younger writing was a death knell for them. When I was buying GA Batman books when I was 20 I just could stand books with writing. 
I get with comics some shops would write on them before setting them out BUT not all did. Not to mention half the writing is stuff kids marking them.