• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

On 5/2/2021 at 11:09 AM, Robot Man said:

Lordy! That is the one I want. One of the most iconic and well known comic covers of all time. I love it so much that it is my screen saver every time I turn on my phone. 

I understand the appeal to some collectors because of the headlights, but that cover has never really done anything for me. I don't think it's by Baker; if it is, it's one of his most poorly-drawn covers. He could have produced better artwork in his sleep, which is why I'm certain it isn't his work.

On 5/1/2021 at 11:15 AM, Robot Man said:

Codes don’t bother me if they are small, light and unobtrusive. It was such a common practice back in the GA that many books had. Often, they add to or make a book more desiresble to identify pedigrees. Church, Ohio come to mind. Who finds the name Larson or Okajima a problem? 

Pressing, or “maximizing” pedigree books is just wrong to me. Isn’t the whole point of a pedigree owning a nice book from a one owner collection? Don’t we pay more for these because of their special untouched state? Once they have been “maximized” they just lose a little of that sparkle to me...

The books in this collection don’t look like they need any help. The raw ones I saw were jaw dropping. I think they would bring record prices just the way they were found. 

"Who finds the name Larson or Okajima a problem?" The writing wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, but I don't agree with the way the books were graded. I would have graded them much lower. In the case of the Okajima camp books, the writing adds to the charm, but that's a separate issue from the grade. Writing on the cover should reduce the grade, period. It might make sense for an Okajima camp book with a grade of 4.0 to be worth more than a non-pedigree book in 9.0 because of the historical significance of the former, but the grade on the camp book should still be 4.0. Damage is damage, whether it occurred in 1945 or 2015. (I also find the whole "Signature Series" concept absurd; to me, any book that has been signed on the cover is low grade—but assigning low grades to autographed books would hurt CGC's profits, so they call low-grade books high grade, and the sheeple go along with it en masse. Mind you, there's nothing wrong with collecting autographed books, but the grade should be no higher than if a comparable amount of random writing was on the cover.)

Edited by jimbo_7071

39 minutes ago, vheflin said:

Did the printer deliberately stiff Fiction House on magenta?  There are so many bile tone covers.:sick:

I guess magenta was the most costly ink.

These low-to-zero red/magenta FH books are weirdly frequent, such as you can call FH stuff frequent. I'm pretty sure FH did color control exactly the same way I deal with my printer. Magenta ink low? Eh. Magenta's a dumb color anyway, just keep printing.

Anyway, the books definitely look better when they actually used ALL the ink colors. So there's no need to even auction these yellowy-orangeish copies off. Just send them to me. (thumbsu

8 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I understand the appeal to some collectors because of the headlights, but that cover has never really done anything for me. I don't think it's by Baker; if it is, it's one of his most poorly-drawn covers. He could have produced better artwork in his sleep, which is why I'm certain it isn't his work.

It’s all about her eyes... Yes, there is also the obvious but that look does it for me...

8 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

"Who finds the name Larson or Okajima a problem?" The writing wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, but I don't agree with the way the books were graded. I would have graded them much lower. In the case of the Okajima camp books, the writing adds to the charm, but that's a separate issue from the grade. Writing on the cover should reduce the grade, period. It might make sense for an Okajima camp book with a grade of 4.0 to be worth more than a non-pedigree book in 9.0 because of the historical significance of the former, but the grade on the camp book should still be 4.0. Damage is damage, whether it occurred in 1945 or 2015. (I also find the whole "Signature Series" concept absurd; to me, any book that has been signed on the cover is low grade—but assigning low grades to autographed books would hurt CGC's profits, so they call low-grade books high grade, and the sheeple go along with it en masse. Mind you, there's nothing wrong with collecting autographed books, but the grade should be no higher than if a comparable amount of random writing was on the cover.)

I agree with that. If it were your name or mine, it would get downgraded. A grade bump makes no real difference to lovers of pedigrees. Church, Larson or Okajimas get very solid prices more for their pedigree than their grade so why over grade them? 

I’m not much of a fan of “Signature Series” either. Kind of a money grab and excuse to have books defaced for profit. Not to mention, it only came into being long after most of the greats passed away. I like autographed books if obtained in person and on the inside. I am lucky enough to have met most of the greats and got interior sigs. I don’t need to have CGC slab them to know they are real. 

Edited by Robot Man

12 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

What is HA waiting for...I don't understand why no announcement about this collection..they are already posting books?

It’s marketing Mitch. A tease. We are doing a better job of pimping this collection than even they could. Will probably be the auction of the year. Once the numbers start coming in, we will have nothing else to talk about for some time. 

Why has CGC/Heritage been mum about the history of this collection? Or have I missed the press release or something? 

Nevermind. Just heard that Bleeding Cool will run the story next week.

Edited by MatterEaterLad
update

1 hour ago, vheflin said:

Did the printer deliberately stiff Fiction House on magenta?  There are so many bile tone covers.:sick:

I guess magenta was the most costly ink.

1 hour ago, Qalyar said:

These low-to-zero red/magenta FH books are weirdly frequent, such as you can call FH stuff frequent. I'm pretty sure FH did color control exactly the same way I deal with my printer. Magenta ink low? Eh. Magenta's a dumb color anyway, just keep printing.

Anyway, the books definitely look better when they actually used ALL the ink colors. So there's no need to even auction these yellowy-orangeish copies off. Just send them to me. (thumbsu

FH definitely has a huge variation in cover colors. But when you find a really bright and colorful one, there are few things that can hold a candle to it.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

It’s marketing Mitch. A tease. We are doing a better job of pimping this collection than even they could. Will probably be the auction of the year. Once the numbers start coming in, we will have nothing else to talk about for some time. 

Perhaps the writing team's still huddled around the table finishing concocting the "story"   :wink:

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

(thumbsu

13 hours ago, fast eddie said:

It's time to liquidate some of my SA books and get ready to rumble! 

This is it guys and gals....once in lifetime upgrade..there will be so many out there, that if you are careful and selective you can really score both collection wise and when you decide to exit look like a champion. I think very early in is the best strategy and that is why I agree with you. I do not think you will see a OO collection of 5000 GA books hit ever in our lifetimes again and its time to rumble. Time to trade up...I agree Fast Eddie

Edited by Mmehdy

28 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

This is it guys and gals....once in lifetime upgrade..there will be so many out there, that if you are careful and selective you can really score both collection wise and when you decide to exit look like a champion. I think very early in is the best strategy and that is why I agree with you. I do not think you will see a OO collection of 5000 GA books hit ever in our lifetimes again and its time to rumble. Time to trade up...I agree Fast Eddie

Still there are some on this thread that are of the opinion that some of the books on offer are over graded for one reason or another.

It will be important for bidders to keep a level head and not bid on the grade but bid on the book.  Truer words have never been spoken and it will be easy for some to get caught up in the euphoria of seeing this many books on offer.

Edited by pemart1966

15 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Still there are some on this thread that are of the opinion that some of the books on offer are over graded for one reason or another.

It will be important for bidders to keep a level head and not bid on the grade but bid on the book.  Truer words have never been spoken and it will be easy for some to get caught up in the euphoria of seeing this many books on offer.

I'm label chasing and diving into the deep end with zero regard for safety...

Drop Lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos