• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,173 posts in this topic

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/horror/the-walking-dead-1-black-label-image-2003-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/40176-82438.s

Calling complete BS on this.

There are others over $1000 cheaper readily available on dealer sites and ebay.

On 9/16/2021 at 10:51 AM, Hamlet said:

My problem is that I'm not really looking to sell, but it seems financially irresponsible not to sell at these prices.  What was hobby money is now money that could actually impact my lifestyle.  Some of the keys I bought at X are now 10-20X.  Unfortunately, they are also key books in the runs that I consider core to my collecting.  If I sell FF48-50, and other keys out of the run, is there really much point to keeping the rest of the run?  

When goofy speculation pops a book in my Strange Tales run, I'm starting to feel like I should take the cash, but then I'll end up with a swiss cheese collection, so why not just sell the whole run?

So far inertia has kept my collection intact, but I feel like I'm making a pretty big financial mistake by not selling now.

Personal choice. You already missed the peak. Majority of books are down 10 to 20 %. Still could sell and make nice money, they may go up again soon. I always sell books when they pop. I don't miss them. Can always buy them back if I do. X-Men 129 I sold all my higher grade copies for thousands. Now I could replace them for hundreds Strange tales will be easy to place. One and done villains. See whiplash ego ultron. But surfer Galactus goblin won't be replaced as cheap. Won't be selling them and buying them back for half off. Comes down to what you like more? Comics or Cash? If the day comes I can't find any good investments maybe I will buy back comics. Comics I have that I feel are a good investment I will hold until they pop. I bought back ego to get my run back but now I am missing thor and loki so it didn't really matter. One day people aren't going to care about loki as much. Thor I think I will have to pay the going price or do without. It will be do without. If I found one in the attic tonight I would be looking to sell it tomorrow, or maybe wait for the market to bump up and the trailers. Enjoy it for a few months. 

On 9/16/2021 at 7:51 AM, Hamlet said:

My problem is that I'm not really looking to sell, but it seems financially irresponsible not to sell at these prices.  What was hobby money is now money that could actually impact my lifestyle.  Some of the keys I bought at X are now 10-20X.  Unfortunately, they are also key books in the runs that I consider core to my collecting.  If I sell FF48-50, and other keys out of the run, is there really much point to keeping the rest of the run?  

When goofy speculation pops a book in my Strange Tales run, I'm starting to feel like I should take the cash, but then I'll end up with a swiss cheese collection, so why not just sell the whole run?

So far inertia has kept my collection intact, but I feel like I'm making a pretty big financial mistake by not selling now.

I absolutely totally get what you are saying here.  (thumbsu

Especially if you are a run collector which I generally am not, although I do have some runs that were popular back in the day like X-Men 94 to X-Men 150 and the Miller Daredevil run.  My problem is that I never really bothered to buy dups except for the odd one like X-Men 94 (and the 2nd copy which I now cannot find :censored:) means that if I do sell the X94 which is the one that's worth grading and selling, I will like you say, end up with a swiss cheese collection with the best parts gone.  So, I guess hold for now until more of the rest of the run goes up high enough to make it worthwhile to also grade those other copies for resale and hope the bottom doesn't fall out of the marketplace to below my original purchase price in the interim.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :wishluck:

On 9/17/2021 at 2:08 AM, VintageComics said:

Are you sure?

I just watched several auctions, all with record prices.

Exactly. I can't tell you how many times I tried to "time" the stock market to look back and see I was wrong going both ways. Using X-Men 129 or any other Bronze hype books limit the sample size greatly. On those the peak may have been missed but there are a ton of books that just hit a second wind so to speak.

Is anyone following the Goldin auction with the Batman 1 in 8.0, Amazing Fantasy 15 in 8.5, and Showcase 4 in 7.5 among others?  One interesting thing I noticed is that the bid prices shown do not include the 20 to 23% buyers premium.  At least I dont think they do.  I read the auction rules and saw this.  Anyone else notice this?  Makes a big difference on the final price of these expensive books.  At least Heritage has both prices listed, the bid price and the price with the buyers premium.

On 9/17/2021 at 2:31 AM, lou_fine said:

I do have some runs that were popular back in the day like X-Men 94 to X-Men 150 and the Miller Daredevil run.  My problem is that I never really bothered to buy dups except for the odd one like X-Men 94 (and the 2nd copy which I now cannot find :censored:) means that if I do sell the X94 

Jealous.  That run is so hard to complete now.   Hope you find that 2nd X94.  Of all the books to have a duplicate,  that's the one to have 

On 9/16/2021 at 11:34 AM, Gregd said:
On 9/16/2021 at 10:39 AM, valiantman said:

Here's the latest version: http://www.slabdata.com/blog/2021/cgc-average-market-capitalization-cgcamc-2020-year-in-review/

A regularly-updated website is coming soon.

Wow!! That is fantastic and exactly what I was thinking about. 

is this only run for the top 25 books? Or did I miss a link?

It is only for the Top 25.  

I have been working on a more comprehensive list for a while and I currently have over 200 books with a CGCAMC (CGC Average Market Capitalization) of at least $1,000,000.  I'm sure there are a few that I have missed, but when you think about it, having a $1,000,000 total value (CGC average grade times number of CGC graded copies) is actually pretty tough.  All those Golden Age books worth $20,000+ in average condition are usually under 50 copies graded, so that's less than $1,000,000 total.  A few dozen certainly make the Top 200, but then it gets slim quickly.  For books worth $1,000+ in average CGC condition, you need at least 1,000 copies graded to reach $1,000,000.  Lots of books have at least 1,000 copies graded and their high grades are worth $1,000+, but their average grade isn't.  2,000 copies graded but under $500 for an average copy is less than a million total.

$100 average CGC books need 10,000 graded copies, etc.

It's a fun exercise that I've had to do by hand, but I'm working on a way to automate the whole process.

Coming soon.  (thumbsu