• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 9/18/2022 at 12:11 AM, mjoeyoung said:

Thanks for posting that video.  That is really interesting, and seemingly pretty damning.

As far as collecting video games, I don't really understand collecting "sealed" items.  It makes sense with action figures because you can see the action figure and see what type of condition it is in.  In order to see if sealed games or VHS tapes work, or to use them as intended, you have to destroy the value.  You are just buying a box.

I feel the same, but yet I am waiting for CGC to get the VHS thing going.  I have a sealed TNMT that if someone wants to give me stoopid money for it being graded, I will happily oblige.:insane:

Edited by toro

On 9/18/2022 at 8:30 AM, toro said:

But is that book one of Jim Halperin's own books that  he takes out of the safe and puts out there to try and see what the market is doing?  Obviously he or his bidder wins it and it just goes back into his safe.  No money is exchanged.

This was discussed at the 25.05 minute mark of the video.

So the big take away question for us, has any of the last 2 years price escalation been driven by the hands of Heritage?

Second, if a comic book fund ever gets set up by an institutional investment company, wait for the bubble to form, then run for the hills once it all looks too wonderful, "it'll keep climbing, nothing can stop the market" :Rocket:

On 9/18/2022 at 7:15 PM, Microchip said:

So the big take away question for us, has any of the last 2 years price escalation been driven by the hands of Heritage?

Second, if a comic book fund ever gets set up by an institutional investment company, wait for the bubble to form, then run for the hills once it all looks too wonderful, "it'll keep climbing, nothing can stop the market" :Rocket:

Heritage was solely responsible for a large step up in the secondary videogame market during the pandemic. The prices being seen via auction on Heritage had no resemblance whatsoever to what was being attained on other sales platforms, notably eBay

On 9/17/2022 at 3:30 PM, toro said:

But is that book one of Jim Halperin's own books that  he takes out of the safe and puts out there to try and see what the market is doing?  Obviously he or his bidder wins it and it just goes back into his safe.  No money is exchanged.

This was discussed at the 25.05 minute mark of the video.

If so, he's doing it wrong.  This sale didn't "prop up the inflated prices", it did quite the opposite.

Interesting last night in the HA auctions.

I was looking at a couple of Steranko covers that I needed and grabbed one below GPA.

Since I had an order I was going to fill in a few G.I Joe 9.8's since they had a few, granted not big dollar books but almost all of those were over GPA, some were almost double. 

Continued tracking of my 50 piece personal collection's value for insurance purposes.
I am utilizing eBay sold items (with auctions taking priority over buy-it-now) to determine FMV.

January to February           .40% increase
February to March            2.05% increase
March to April                   4.07% decrease
April to May                      1.14% decrease
May to June                        .01% decrease
June to July                      1.83% decrease
July to August                   3.15% decrease
August to September        7.01% decrease

On 9/20/2022 at 3:31 AM, Troy.Division said:

Continued tracking of my 50 piece personal collection's value for insurance purposes.
I am utilizing eBay sold items (with auctions taking priority over buy-it-now) to determine FMV.

Have you got numbers for year on year, for the last couple of years?

That would be interesting to see.  We know there was the big jump forward, then we could see the full scale of the retraction to date. 

On 9/20/2022 at 11:32 AM, Troy.Division said:

Excellent question.
Pulled up September 2019 - 2022.
Then I had to filter only books that have remained constant that entire period.
(37 out of 50)

2019 to 2020     24.62% increase
2020 to 2021     31.68% increase
2021 to 2022     7.72% decrease

2019 vs 2022     51.43% increase

Thats pretty interesting, those were solid jumps 2020, and 2021.    Lets see where the 209 vs 2022 % ends up as we keep going.   Is anyone expecting the price slide to end soon?   

On 9/19/2022 at 9:59 AM, PKJ said:

Interesting last night in the HA auctions.

I was looking at a couple of Steranko covers that I needed and grabbed one below GPA.

Since I had an order I was going to fill in a few G.I Joe 9.8's since they had a few, granted not big dollar books but almost all of those were over GPA, some were almost double. 

I think those are the Whatnot 9.8 chasers going after the Joes.

I'm curious what will happen with modern newsstands. Not my favorite comics but some have terrific covers and they are very hard to find. Some are harder to locate than the Golden Age comics I prefer to buy for my collection. Many, I've never even seen offered for sale, unlike literally everything else I collect, where the only barrier is price, not availability.

On 9/19/2022 at 10:26 PM, toro said:

I think those are the Whatnot 9.8 chasers going after the Joes.

I felt there was some influence happening, unless there is a Crimson Guard movie coming I was unaware of.

joe 29.png

On 9/11/2022 at 6:32 AM, GermanFan said:

--- Comic Collecting, like any other asset, will recover its losses.---

How?

Look at demographics, look at the economy, look at the debt, look at the world situation (its a powder keg).

I dont see it. After the crazyness, the hangover will be bad and very long.

Completely agree with this. Over time, these sharp upward and downward movements in value will smooth out, and the general trend line will be upward.

On 9/21/2022 at 6:07 AM, Phill the Governor said:

You need to elaborate further here.  'Metro' bought books in the Comiconnect auctions?  Do you know where the books ended up?  Never to be seen again, on the Metro website, or reappeared in subsequent auctions??

Edited by Microchip

On 9/19/2022 at 10:31 AM, troy.division said:

i don't know if using ebay sales data is that solid. i've sold books there in the past that buyers never paid for. if i did not relist the book, the sale often showed up on gpa and stayed there. not to mention all the shill sales that occur there too for exactly this purpose. 

of course it appears that all auction houses also have shilling to one extent or another. 

On 9/21/2022 at 11:48 AM, alexgross.com said:

i don't know if using ebay sales data is that solid. i've sold books there in the past that buyers never paid for. if i did not relist the book, the sale often showed up on gpa and stayed there. not to mention all the shill sales that occur there too for exactly this purpose. 

of course it appears that all auction houses also have shilling to one extent or another. 

That's a great point.
Especially if you find a book with a WIDE upward trend over the previous month.
In that case what I do is search active listings to see if the recent 'sale' is an outlier.
If it is I then continue using the previous month's data.

The toughest part is when you have a book that hasn't popped up for sale ever or within the last 4 years.
Whether it is due to scarcity or owning the only one in grade and / or signed.
Those are the ones I want appraised / priced the most to insure... 

On 9/21/2022 at 2:02 PM, Phill the Governor said:

I think you answered your question about legality in your previous post.  Metropolis and Comicconnect are two separate entities, so metro can bid on CC.  This explains why Jim Halperin used to have his other website, *something* gallery -- I don't remember. 

Edited by buttock